Best programming environment for OpenGL?

marco

Regular
While still developing the new beyond3d engine and website, I'm trying to get up to date in 3D stuff. Have read a lot of intresting books (OpenGL red book, Books on space and time etc).

After years of programming in Java, VB, PHP etc , I wanted to get started in 3D programming. The OpenGL programming guide was quite easy to understand and very good material. I dunno if I'm any good at 3d programming but I wanted to try.

Now I'm all ready to go. But one thing is in my head, what would be the best IDE for different platforms. This because I have several PC's and OS's running on it. (WindowsXP, Mandrake Linux10 (32bit), Fedora core 2 (AMD64)). Already installed Borland C++ builder under WinXP.

What do you think what the pros and cons are for a particular programming environment/OS combination for OpenGL programming

marco said:
While still developing the new beyond3d engine and website,
i know this is off topic, but can i inquire as to the state of the new website? Will you be taking any input from those who use your website?

epic

If you're already familiar with Borland C++ builder, you should look at Kylix.

Combine Kylix 3 with Borland C++Builder™ 6 Studio or Delphi 7 Studio to create single-source, cross-platform Linux/Windows® applications.

K.I.L.E.R said:
bloodbob said:
for windows you probably want visual studio 6.

That IDE was absolutely aweful.

VS.NET 2003 is much better.
I agree, though the Visual C++ 6.0 IDE was just heavenly as compared to the other IDEs in that package, like VB6 and InterDev. . . ;)

Ahh yes it was but visual .net is geared towards C# which is heady far far away from traditional C which is of course the API of choice for opengl in my opinon.

bloodbob said:
Ahh yes it was but visual .net is geared towards C# which is heady far far away from traditional C which is of course the API of choice for opengl in my opinon.
As long as the environment effectively supports the language and compiles down to efficient machine code, what's the problem? You don't have to use the .NET Framework with VC.NET. . .

Ahh yes it was but visual .net is geared towards C#
While MS is certainly working more on the C# than the C/C++ side of the IDE VS.NET is still much nicer than VS6 for programming C/C++. For example Intellisense was quite consitently broken in VS6 and works like a charm in VS.NET.

VS isn't really the best choice for cross-platform work though because there's a lot of MS specific stuff, you probably want to use gcc/g++ and maybe Eclipse or another IDE that lets you use it (can you even use a different compiler with the VS IDE?). That being said, my current project has to work on Linux and I use VS.NET for programming it and the source compiles fine with g++ (well except a few little things like the inline assembly and there's a lot of warnings about #pragma once being obsolete but it works).

Tokelil said:
Goragoth said:
(can you even use a different compiler with the VS IDE?)
The intel compiler works inside the VS IDE. Don't know about others...
If they're written to the same standard in terms of entry points, then there should be no problem.

ON the new site, not yet, I need to reach a certain level and then I can start taking up remarks from our readers. Trust me, I know a lot of things that need to be in the new website. And they will be available. Still need to develop and design things for a month or so..

As others suggested, you can use Borland's C++ Builder, and I, for one, think it's a much better interface. It typically will take a tiny bit of getting used to the differences in how things are usually done, but not that much. There are some included examples, so it should be relatively easy to get up to speed on the only difference (creating a window).

For Linux, well, it seems a lot of people really like to use vi and emacs for programming, but those really aren't very well-suited for the job, not compared to what you can get in Windows. I haven't looked at Kylix yet, but I'm willing to bet it's every bit as good as Borland's Windows products.

Marco, stop messing around with OpenGL and spend all your time on the new web engine.

:D :LOL:

ps. I use Borland personally.

Back