Rare keeps franchises

:devilish:

Why are all the threads turning into a fanboy war ?

Either rename the forum FanBoyLand, or stop behaving like children.
That's really boring, there's no quality thread.

Care about the games (which means gameplay), not the consoles.
It's all about games people, only about games...

PC-Engine said:
Qroach said:
You're really fooling yourself if you don't think Rare will help MS outside of Japan.

By the time they release something which won't be until 2004 at the earliest, Nintendo would've already be waaayy ahead in terms of sales on a global scale ;)

perhaps they're working on xbox software for monthes, even years ? who knows...

Also as already mentioned, the majority of talent has already been stripped from Rare.

some ppl left. but the majority of talent ?
i don't think so.

i don't think MSFT became dumb enough to buy a valueless developper. bizness-wise, MSFT does very rarely commit mistales.

anyway, even in the unprobable case nothing good (software-wise) came for MSFT from this buyout, nintendo at least loose on the psychological level. a lot of nintendo fans did love the work of rare for n64.

One of the internal emails from an anonymous Rare employee expressed frustration over the fact they have to start from scratch on development for the Xbox hardware. So no they haven't been working on anything yet. They're not even familiar with the Xbox hardware.

Even if he was frustrated, that doesn't mean they hadn't already begun work or had some hardware to play with.

Qroach said:
Even if he was frustrated, that doesn't mean they hadn't already begun work or had some hardware to play with.

as he just said, and as the words were, that they have to lose everything they were working on and start all over, and they have to learn to work on new hardware, that was straight from one of the coders mouths.

Nothing has been in the works, Rare has not been plotting this, it came as a shock to many of them..

we wont see a Rare Xbox games till 2004 at the least(and that is just SEEING it, at a E3 or such), if you think you will be playing one before 2005/6 , you must be thinking of a different Rare, they could not pull it off when they were at full staff, what makes you think it will change now that they are down to a much smaller staff.

Somehow I think Rare employees are pretty familiar with Visual Studios and DirectX. We're not talking exotic PS2 hardware or anything here...

zurich

Captain you are so full of nonsense. Where are you getting this garbage that they aren't "at full of staff" and other BS. You don't have a clue what they have and youre really trying hard to make the situation sound worse than it is.

As was said earlier this came as a shock that it was microsft purchasing them, but not as a shock that they were up for sale. They don't have to start everything over from scratch. That's quite the exageration. They have to make changes which isn't something not expected with a sale, but considering how small developemtn houses with no consle experience can easily get a grasp on GC and Xbox development, i don't see the talented crew at rare having any real problems.

Qroach said:
Captain you are so full of nonsense. Where are you getting this garbage that they aren't "at full of staff" and other BS. You don't have a clue what they have and youre really trying hard to make the situation sound worse than it is.

As was said earlier this came as a shock that it was microsft purchasing them, but not as a shock that they were up for sale. They don't have to start everything over from scratch. That's quite the exageration. They have to make changes which isn't something not expected with a sale, but considering how small developemtn houses with no consle experience can easily get a grasp on GC and Xbox development, i don't see the talented crew at rare having any real problems.

your the one completely contradicting everything you said to me
in the past few years now that the shoe is on the other foot.
back then you were always saying, Rare isnt what they used to be, all the good guys have moved on, they all went to Zoonami and Free Radical Design...

Q, get off your fanboy highhorse, get a clue...and MAKE UP YOUR @#$%ING MIND!!!!!

Captain get you friggin facts straight. You obviously have some sort of problem where you only see what you want to see. I've been saying since last year (before GC was even out) that the only two reasons IMO to own a Nintendo console are :

1. Nintendo games
2. Rare games

back then you were always saying, Rare isnt what they used to be, all the good guys have moved on, they all went to Zoonami and Free Radical Design...

I have NEVER said that!! I don't even know what games zoonami and free radical has made! :devilish:

Not ONCE have you seen me say anything bad about Rare. I think you're confusing my arguments with what Teasy and others have been saying about Rare not being the same company. Again, NOT ONCE have I said rare is worse now then it ever has been in the past! I suggest you stop arguing on this, because you really DON'T know what you are talking about! If anyone here is dropping contradictions, it's yourself.

Number one PSO is supposed to be different on GameCube then it is on XBox, its supposed to have extra levels and characters.

Both are PSO Episodes 1 & 2

GC extras
-GBA games (Nights and Puyo Puyo)
-4 player on co-op on single machine (no idea if it's available on xbox, maybe)

Xbox extras
-Voice chat
-Comes free with 6800 Xbox Live Pack in Japan (inc. 1 year Xbox live fee and communicator)
-Save to HDD

PSO ep 1 & 2

GC
-also have card battle

Xbox
-have extra character (s)

-aneep-

on Rare buyout

if i remember correctly, what happen is Nintendo sell back their shares to Stamper brothers, and they sold 100 percent of the stocks to MS (like Bungie and Take2)

while there must be some of the staffs who felt they wasted their time on GC when this happen, there are also those who look forward to working on something new

full quotes from Rarenet
Dan's been scrambling all day trying to get ahold of our friends at Rare, a task not made any easier by the Rare's monitoring of employee email and the eight hour time difference between us and Twycross. We were trying to hold off as long as possible to bring you the hottest, freshest, tastiest and most filling news possible. And I think we've got it.

In a RareNet exclusive, we tell you what's going on inside Rare, with quotes from Rare employees. We regret that we cannot bring you their names at this time. Legal agreements and the general atmosphere of secrecy, both at Rare and surrounding this deal, mean that any names we name are probably going to lose their place at teat of the Microsoft cashcow. If you get what I'm saying. And I think you do. We look forward to the day when we can tell the whole story.

There's a lot of resentment and even a sense of betrayal among some. A lot of work, development tools and hardware are useless now to Rare. Certainly the material loss is no longer a concern, but losing the last three years of development work is frustrating a lot of people there. Remember, Rare was the first outside develop to get dev kits for the Gamecube; they'd been gearing up for this console for a long time.

But that's enough out of me. What does Rare have to say? The following are the results of email correspondence and phone calls over the last few days.

"Well, to be honest, you could say I'm pretty bloody put about by the whole damn thing. You know, a few of us knew something was coming for quite a while but still; you learn the ins and outs of a certain system, it's quite technical, and then you suddenly thrust onto a new one, with a half-finished game in your hand. Not my idea of fun, personally."

"Well we're not really supposed to talk about it yet - if ever....but the short of it is that there is an extremely gray area. It's not straight forward yet. Nintendo is trying to keep most of the copyrights. In my opinion that's shit, because we made the games. That's not how it works though. Shame for Diddy and those games though. Won't quite be the same, you know?"

"I'd probably get in a bit of trouble around here for saying this but I don't really mind. Sure it'll be a pain in the arse to make the switch, but I've been here for 10 years now. Change is always good. Maybe even for RareNet! ha. ha."

"If bloody Birmingham City can draw Liverpool anything is possible!!"

"From what I have been reading on your site and others, a lot of people seem to think we were obliged to Nintendo and vice versa. Honestly, its fun to read some of the things... dissenters they all yell! It's all business mate, and I can tell you that while a good half of the guys here are a bit upset, just as many look forward to working with the new system. Nothing will change with the quality. I do feel a bit bad for anyone who bought the nintendo box though."

"I'm glad to be out, really. I wish them all the best but I really enjoy programming for the 'cube."

There you have it. We do not claim that these comments are representative of Rare as a whole; they only indicate the thoughts and feelings of the half-dozen employees we happened to speak with. However, it seems that a significant chunk of the company is decidedly miffed, and to be sure, some are leaving the employ of Rare. But just as many are ready to meet the challenges of Xbox development, and endow it with their world-reknown quality.

This article may not be reproduced, rewritten or retransmitted in any way, shape or form without the express written consent of RareNet, LLC.
http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=32

Well, apparently the quotes we got from certain Rare employees last time were not exactly indicative of the general company sentiment as a whole. Several other guys emailed us shortly after that news item went up to let us know, for the most part, things are pretty peachy over there afterall. It seems the programmers have yet to start their murderous rampage through the hallowed halls of Twycross, hellbent on destroying all the swans named Bill. Shame, in a way.

The following are opinions from inside Rare. Check it out:

"Hi guys, love the site. I noticed your piece on 'Inside Rare'. Not sure who was upset but I thought it would only be fair to give my own thoughts, and perhaps those of some others here. We're actually excited by the new direction Rare is taking and look forward to designing on a new system. Keep in touch."

"Personally I think it's the best time since I began working at Rare, and the future (whatever it is) is going to be truly amazing. But then you will just have to wait and see."

"Despite the mass of rumors shooting around...no one quite knows what we can do with this console that we just could not manage on the Gamecube - but you bloody will soon enough!! we'll all be able to do some outrageously stupid things now - such as finally complete this damned shrimping simulator."

So there you have it. If even half of Rare is this excited about a new direction for the company, I'm extremely optimistic. We may find this move acts as a reinvigorating catalyst for creativity. Shrimping, indeed.

Let us know what you think. dan@rarenet.com

If linking to this article, please use the following link:
http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=34

This article may not be reproduced, rewritten or retransmitted in any way, shape or form without the express written consent of RareNet, LLC.
http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=34

maybe i should just link to the articles, but i'm afarid ppl won't bother to click

-aneep-

Back