No Radeon 8500 variants launching at Cebit?

ben6

Regular
Just got a couple of interesting emails. It seems that there will not be a Radeon 8500 XT eXP or any such card launched at Cebit, despite what I posted earlier. Unitech is however launching a 8500 eXP with the stated 300/600 clockspeeds . From my newspost at www.nvnews.net

First an email from John Swinimer at ATI Technologies:

To my knowledge, ATI is not launching a variant of the RADEON 8500 at CeBIT.

All the best
John Swinimer
ATI Technologies

Second, here's an email from the PR person from Unitech for the aforementioned Optimus Radeon 8500 eXP.

Unitech will be launching the overclockers dream, the Optimus 8500eXP 128MB with a bundled customized tweak utility, and all of our high-end boards will be employing Artic Silver Thermal solution to combine with our performance intensive cooling HSF. We have heard the market's scream's for overclockabiltiy and performance, and we are simply answering the call, but at a whole new level. Attached are a couple pictures of our overclocking utility.
Thank you for the mention,
Stephen
Technical Director NA/Eur
Unitech

Prolly because ATI doesnt consider this "8500 eXP" to be a new card, its just being marketed that way much like the Gainward GF "Golden Sample" cards...nothing on nVidias part, just Gainwards marketing.

If you take a closer look....

It says that ATI will not be launching any variant of the 8500 at CeBit. Which just means that if ATI does launch a chipk, (ie RV250), it will not be an 8500, and that the 8500 XT is not an ATI-branded product.[/b]

According to some unofficial info, that some card makers spread here, ATI has prepared a new, "overclocked" Radeon, but it was barely faster than a normal 8500. Supposedly ATI's driver team hasn't deliver software that could utilize more power, but frankly I don't understand, why same card with higher clock would need new driver tho show increase in clockspeed.
Strange. But they have"all in one" or "one for all" chipset family... at least.

Cause Radeon 8500 memory controller, imho, kinda sucks and increasing core clock and memory clock doesn't bring a lot of perfomance increase.
It does scale bad. If drivers team couldn't increase REAL performance maybe a small overclock couldn't bring much more to the table.

ciao,
Marco

Back