Rare keeps franchises

N-fans relaz. :D
So old time buddy RARE is gone, but Nintendo got a sweet USD200m off the deal, they had also bought RETRO for USD10m awhile ago and MP is getting great previews. Capcom, Sega, Square, Enix and Namco are announcing more support to come.

It is not all lost for the Cube. :oops:

Grall,

With Rare having to get to grips with XB and the usual delays, you be lucky to see any game from them before christmas 2005..

You could only hope. It doesn't take long to really understand the xbox hardware. It only takes a few months from what I've seen and I'm sure you'll see a game shown or annouced at X02 later this month that will come out this year. Rare has lot's of talented people so don't kid yourself that they can't still make a good game.

Qroach said:
Teasy,

Yeah, where's the actual anouncement that MS will get any of the licences mentioned?

Everyone heard the rumors that they would annouce the sale at the X02 event later this month. I think that rumor will also turn out to be pretty accurate.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/09/20/news/deals/rare/index.htm

Unless CNN isn't reputable, I think you can believe them...

uhm, guess you were sleeping, because Fund Q has been used to get development teams to make games, Nintendo has added a shload of internal first party teams, they are kicking out more first party games than EVER, even compared to the NES era.

Nintendo has added a shload of internal first party teams, they are kicking out more first party games than EVER, even compared to the NES era.

Umm, geuss you were sleeping, but what games are these you're talking about? You mean the sega arcade fzero and capacom arcade starfox? What else you got, becuase I've barely seen a "shitload" like you say...

Qroach said:
Grall,

With Rare having to get to grips with XB and the usual delays, you be lucky to see any game from them before christmas 2005..

You could only hope. It doesn't take long to really understand the xbox hardware. It only takes a few months from what I've seen and I'm sure you'll see a game shown or annouced at X02 later this month that will come out this year. Rare has lot's of talented people so don't kid yourself that they can't still make a good game.

Quincy, you are such an f-boi, I can't possibly understand how you managed to miss the fact what I wrote was to be taken as a joke, with the amount of smileys I sprinkled it with and all. ...Unless you deliberately chose to disregard them, which I at this point consider quite probable (they mysteriously disappeared in your quoting for example), and you do have a serious tendency to quickly jump up in defense of your preferred console. Too quickly even.

The outrageousness of my claim alone should have told you it was meant as sarcasm dude. What's your major malfunction? Can't you just RELAX?

*G*

Perfect Dark 0- Only on Xbox!

I don't think that the specifics of the deal in regards to money have been announced yet.

The specifics of any part of the deal haven't been announced yet, the amount of money involved is just as much guess work and rumour as what franchises Nintendo may have let MS have.. but then that doesn't seem to stop you from talking about possible RareWare exclusive XBox games does it ;)

I heard that RareWare cost MS £350 million, which is $550 million. Also I wonder how much extra MS paid for Perfect Dark, Conker and Banjo (if Nintendo did indeed sell them)? Well one things for sure, Nintendo was in no particular need to sell them so we can assume that MS had to pay through the nose to get them, another $150 million possibly. I wouldn't be suprised if Nintendo came out of this with over $400 million!

Ha, this thread is giving me a very good laugh....

Heh, this coming from the person that accused me of posting a fanish comment in that thread about XBox delays, practice what you preach ;)

Everyone heard the rumors that they would annouce the sale at the X02 event later this month. I think that rumor will also turn out to be pretty accurate.

My point was that article has no actual comments from Nintendo, RareWare or MS regarding these franchises. It just seemed like one journalist, who didn't even know the difference between Rare LTD and RareWare LTD assuming that these franchises were owned by the company MS are buying. I have no idea if the mentioned franchises will go to MS, they may very well be sold to MS by Nintendo as part of the RareWare deal, but as of yet we have seen no actual announcement. I suppose we'll see later this month.

It doesn't take long to really understand the xbox hardware. It only takes a few months from what I've seen and I'm sure you'll see a game shown or annouced at X02 later this month that will come out this year.

Oh my, I think your in dream world here. You really think RareWare will announce a game in Late September and have it out less then three months later?... you really haven't be following RareWare have you.

Rare has lot's of talented people so don't kid yourself that they can't still make a good game.

Oh they can still make good games alright, given allot of time and some help.

Grall,

which I at this point consider quite probable (they mysteriously disappeared in your quoting for example), and you do have a serious tendency to quickly jump up in defense of your preferred console. Too quickly even.

Chill out dude, for one thing, when you copy and past text, the smilies on this board are images that don't get copied along. Second, I don't usually notice the smiklies, I think they are over used.

The outrageousness of my claim alone should have told you it was meant as sarcasm dude. What's your major malfunction? Can't you just RELAX?

Wow, and you're telling me to relax while you're getting all spaz like. For one thing, there's LOT's of outragous claims made on this board if you haven't noticed and it's pretty tough to pick out the sarcasm with the majority of comments around here.

LONDON, United Kingdom (Sept. 20, 2002) -- As part of a strategic redirection of its game development investments, Nintendo announces it has sold its 49 percent ownership position in U.K.-based developer Rare, Ltd.

“Nintendo had the ability to continue its exclusive relationship with Rare, but in looking at the company’s recent track record, it became clear its value to the future of Nintendo would be limited,†says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America. “In other words, we passed on this opportunity for very good business reasons.â€

In fiscal year 2001, Rare accounted for only 9.5 percent of total Nintendo software sales worldwide. In fiscal year 2002, that number declined to 1.5 percent. Nintendo will retain exclusive rights for all original properties and franchises featured in games developed by Rare, including Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Star Fox.

According to MacDougall, game development is, by nature, dynamic. Relationships continually change to meet the needs of both manufacturers and publishers. “The disposition of this investment leaves us in a position to become even more aggressive in expanding our development capacity, both internally and externally. Aside from several partnerships already announced over the past year, we are currently in similar talks with several other prospective partners around the world.â€

In the past year, Nintendo has added emphasis on games which offer true innovation to video game players, and especially those with appeal to older players. Key current and upcoming Nintendo GameCube titles include Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda and Capcom’s upcoming Resident Evil series exclusively for Nintendo GameCube.

“Although we declined the opportunity to continue our exclusive agreement with Rare, this announcement does not diminish our respect for their work or the past contributions they have made to Nintendo,†adds MacDougall.

USD550m for RARE and USD1m for RETRO isnt that bad.
Nintendo can use that lot of cash to invest in other things. :oops:

Umm, geuss you were sleeping, but what games are these you're talking about? You mean the sega arcade fzero and capacom arcade starfox? What else you got, becuase I've barely seen a "shitload" like you say...

Seiken Densetsu for the AGB, and FF: Crystal Chronicle for starters..

Teasy,

Would you please seperate your responses to the people you are directing them too? instead of just responding to everyone in a single post?

Heh, this coming from the person that accused me of posting a fanish comment in that thread about XBox delays, practice what you preach

I wasn't, "preaching" anything. I have no idea what you mean by that. What I do know is that some of the title syou listed, like Phantasy star online 1& 2 are all coming to Xbox. So as i was saying before, listing games you can get on other paltforms was something some of us wanted to avoid. I guess, the GC lineup just got a little weaker without any other Rare titles and the games cancelled in developement there. You should also practice what you preach.

Also, wait for X02 event, there MAY be another game development surprise there for xbox gamers this fall.

My point was that article has no actual comments from Nintendo, RareWare or MS regarding these franchises.

Obviously this person has some inside information. Part of the deal would probably be that nobody can say anything about who purchased the stock until it's officially annouced. That's a pretty typical way to handle a sale like this.

Oh my, I think your in dream world here. You really think RareWare will announce a game in Late September and have it out less then three months later?... you really haven't be following RareWare have you.

Snap out iof it Teasy, obviously if all they did was switch development platforms for a game that was already underway, it would be possible. At the very least, I'm certain they will show the first title to be released on Xbox at the X02 event, even if it's only video. It may be this year, may be next year, no matter.

Oh they can still make good games alright, given allot of time and some help.

Yes and that speedster at devleoping games Nintendo, is what you're judging this by? :rolleyes: I'd wonder where they got that from.

Qroach said:
Nintendo has added a shload of internal first party teams, they are kicking out more first party games than EVER, even compared to the NES era.

uhm no, I said first party...and second goes with that
Nintendo is putting out more first party games than EVER in thier history..
Luigis mansion
Pikmin
Super Mario Sunshine
Doshin the Giant
Animal Leader
Animal Crossing
mario Kart
Mario party 4
the meoth Game
Wario World
Zelda
Super Smash bros Melee
Metroid Prime
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

the list goes on for a while, not to mention all the second party games..and
GBA works
that is a lot of games in one year from only the Big N
back in the old days you were lucky to see 3-4 games a YEAR..
plus the fact the Fund Q was only put into effect a little over a year ago, that was just to scout out new talent and help others..
much of it went to Squares new company, that allowed a final fantasy game on th cube
and Zoonami, which are as you know, ex Rare employees, making cube exclusive games..

thats quite a bit, if you dont agree, get your head checked

uhm no, I said first party...and second goes with that

:rolleyes: You didn't say a thing about second parties, so don't act like you did. you said they were releasing more "first party titles" than ever. I don't see any evidence of this yet. Out of your list, LESS than half of the games have actually been released as of now! I'd hardly call the actual release list below a "shitload". I even added a few you missed.

So I completly fail to see how FUNQ has helped them add a "shit load" of internal first party dev teams.

Games that are out
------------------------
Luigis mansion
Pikmin
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash bros Melee
Animal Crossing
Eternal darkness
Waverace

Games that aren't out
-------------------------
Metroid Prime
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Doshin the Giant
Wario World
Zelda
mario Kart
Mario party 4
the meoth Game
Animal Leader (isn't this the japanese version of animal crossing?)

thats quite a bit, if you dont agree, get your head checked

uh huh, so says the crazy person. ;)

and the majority of the games that are not out will be in less than a month or two...(and I only added second party because I am not 100 percent clear on who made what)..

so that list is not a lot ?
then XBox fanboy tell us this, how many first party games did MS put out this year? they only published 6, thats how many...
so you do the math...

and the majority of the games that are not out will be in less than a month or two...

Can you name which ones?

so that list is not a lot ? then XBox tell us this, how many first party games did MS put out this year? they only published 6, thats how many... so you do the math...

Did anyone here SAY that MS released more first party titles this year? NO. Also I fail to see how MS first party titles are relevant to Nintendo and FUNQ being used on the development of first party titles. Let me sum up the argument... Fund Q hasn't provided the development of a "shitload" first party/internal of games as you say it has. "Do the math"...

within the next two months we will see

Metroid Prime
Mario Party 4
and supposedly Mario Golf, Mario Tennis
and Cubivore(animal Leader, and no, its not Animal Crossing, thats Animal
Forest in japan)

thats more than double what MS published in a year, and more about 3 times what Nintendo has been able to get out inhouse in that amount of time in the past, not to mention all the deals they are making..

Saying the fund Q is BS because you have seen no results in a year, is like saying MS buying Rare is BS because you have seen no Xbox games from them yet.

Get over yourself
I know you think your a genius, but thats only in your own
Microsoft Laden Brain.

within the next two months we will see

Metroid Prime
Mario Party 4
and supposedly Mario Golf, Mario Tennis
and Cubivore(animal Leader, and no, its not Animal Crossing, thats Animal
Forest in japan)

For one thing, Cubivore is not a first party title. Nitnendo is only the publisher from what I've read. Either way you look at it. Fund-Q hasn't provided a shit load of games as you say it has.

thats more than double what MS published in a year, and more about 3 times what Nintendo has been able to get out inhouse in that amount of time in the past, not to mention all the deals they are making..

More than Double than what MS published? You're kidding right? MS published/funded the development of 14 titles in total. Not many of them developed in house because they don't have anywhere close to the amount of developers in house nintendo has. So yes Nintndo has more in house first party titles... That's also not including the games like DOA or Sega titles they also published. or Also, what does this have to do with Fund-Q??

Saying the fund Q is BS because you have seen no results in a year, ...

WHERE did I say fund-Q is BS? Get your facts straight! Infact i didn't really say anything other than "where is Fund-Q" that was going to be used for development. You completely missed the point of that statement! The point IS, we haven't seen much if ANYTHING come out of Fund-Q as of yet, so what makes you want to believe that nintendo is just going to use the money they got from the sale for more development. Even if they say they will. If they wantd more development they had 7 billion in cash they could have already used, and for some reason they chose NOT too! If you can't comprehend that, then I suggest not continuing with the conversation.

Get over yourself. I know you think your a genius, but thats only in your own Microsoft Laden Brain.

Wow, that really hurt :rolleyes: if you can't argue wth something that seems logical, resort to name calling. How could I forget that's the equivalent of a "Plan B" tactic when arguing in a forum? Classic, and rather lame imo.

The point IS, we haven't seen much if ANYTHING come out of Fund-Q as of yet

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. And most likely more to come, especially after Nintendo is now 250m POUNDS richer. :LOL:

ffcc9.JPG

ffcc12.JPG

ffcc8.JPG

:oops:

What I do know is that some of the title syou listed, like Phantasy star online 1& 2 are all coming to Xbox

Number one PSO is supposed to be different on GameCube then it is on XBox, its supposed to have extra levels and characters. Secondly did you not include Splinter Cell in list after list as a XBox exclusive even though its coming to both PS2 and GameCube?

I guess, the GC lineup just got a little weaker without any other Rare titles and the games cancelled in developement there.

Oh yeah, losing Brute Force and Panzer is really allot like losing Kameo and some other unanounced games that wouldn't come out until 2004 isn't it. Especially when you then gain $400 million to strengthen dev support.

Obviously this person has some inside information.

Why is that so obvious then? Why would I assume he has inside info rather then just being totally ignorant to the difference between Rare LTD and RareWare LTD?

MS may very well buy some of the franchises applicable to what Rare may want to produce in the future, but that article does not confirm that. Infact he just seems to think that RareWare already own the games, they don't.

Snap out iof it Teasy, obviously if all they did was switch development platforms for a game that was already underway, it would be possible.

What game did they even have announced for GameCube for this year appart from SFA?.. they have nothing anywhere near ready to port to XBox AFAICS considering they had nothing scheduled for this year and they always miss there original release dates anyway.

At the very least, I'm certain they will show the first title to be released on Xbox at the X02 event

Now that is very possible yeah.

Yes and that speedster at devleoping games Nintendo, is what you're judging this by? I'd wonder where they got that from.

No, I'm judging this by every game RareWare ever made on N64, Nintendo didn't help them with every game they made.

Anyway, either MS lets them take forever and maybe gets great games (if they can still create great games without Nintendo's help and the help of the guys at Zoonami and Free Radical) or they can rush them and lose the polish that makes there games good in the first place.

Back