So begins the DS stylus handheld gaming revolution

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
I while back I started a thread on how I thought the Nintendo DS stylus is going to be revolutionary. One of the things I mentioned was a surgery game. Well it looks like one is in the works.

Atlus reveals DS surgery game

Previously announced Caduceus will use a stylus for operating and voice recognition for verbal encouragement.
TOKYO--Last week, Atlus announced five titles for the Nintendo DS, one of which was a previously unknown game named Caduceus. Today Japanese Web site NTT EG disclosed that Caduceus will be a sci-fi surgery game and that it has been tentatively renamed to Caduceus: Surgical Operation.

The player steps into the role of a talented young surgeon who must operate on different maladies in each of the game's stages. Caduceus will take advantage of both the handheld's stylus and voice recognition capability. Actions such as cutting the patient or getting rid of an unidentified parasite are done with the stylus. In addition, while operating, the player must cheer on the patient using the device's voice recognition.

Caduceus: Surgical Operation follows a sci-fi storyline, meaning that all the illnesses and operation procedures in the game will be fictional. Atlus labels Caduceus as a "sci-fi surgery action game," suggesting that the game also has some action involved.

The game is slated for release in spring 2005 in Japan.

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/05/news_6104218.html

I'm not so sure about "cheering" on a patient, but using a stylus to make incisions is cool.

Some are pessimistic about the stylus, but I really think its a great option to give game developers. I'm curious what classic games might get ported to the DS. Certain titles like X-Com would work well espically with the stylus. I crave for an Elite remake.

Here is a link to the old thread incase someone is intrested in it.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13805

Revolution? I Played that same thing on Amiga /Atari ST ten years ago, when it was called 'Life and Death' :)

With the Atari ST emulator and Pocket PC you can play the game with the stylus, btw.

marconelly! said:
Revolution? I Played that same thing on Amiga /Atari ST ten years ago, when it was called 'Life and Death' :)

With the Atari ST emulator and Pocket PC you can play the game with the stylus, btw.

I played sugeon games also, just never with a stylus and dual screens.

marconelly! said:

:D Hey, i remember this game, it was really old school when it came to the difficulty of the game, if you know what i mean. Impossible to go far in this game...

BTW Atlus said that they put the game in a SF world because they didn't want the kids to go nuts, and start an appendectomy on their little sisters. :LOL:

Vysez said:
marconelly! said:

:D Hey, i remember this game, it was really old school when it came to the difficulty of the game, if you know what i mean. Impossible to go far in this game...

I've played that game as well. However, most of my patients died (well, I enjoyed taking organs out :LOL: ). Glorious old school days :LOL:

Back