Windows XP SP2 download link from microsoft.com inside

Schadenfroh

Newcomer
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=23540

on MSFN's front page
http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9212

Final testing is complete and at 10:08am this morning we signed off on build 2180 as Windows XP Service Pack 2, releasing it to manufacturing. The final build will be available to beta sites immediately at http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com/download/dl3.asp. You will find both English and German versions there, Japanese will follow early next week.

Next week the service pack will be available on the Microsoft Download Center for general download. In the interim we're making the update available to you via the beta web site.

If you are running RC2, or any other build released to beta sites, we invite you to turn on Automatic Updates, and starting on August 10th your system will automatically download the express version of Windows XP SP2. For typical home users this is about a 75 MB download; for those on RC2 it should be less than 30 MB. As soon as the background download is complete, you will be prompted to install SP2 and to accept the EULA (SP2 does not install automatically even if Automatic Updates is set to automatically install security updates). If you have a modem connection, don't "Cancel" the update once it's in progress; just disconnect and when you reconnect later, it will automatcially pick up where it left off until it completes.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

Don't remember where, but I read just yesterday that it will be delayed again. Some testing resulted in 3 out of 5 PC being unable to reboot correctly after being "updated" with SP2!!

This clearly explain why it's called a service pack, and not a fix-pack! :D

Bye!

sp2

hi guys im just wondering if xp sp2 is really neccessary?
i hav xp sp1 and i download critical updates on a routine base. so will i still be alright without sp2? or will my system be in grave danger without it? and also i suppose it'll take forever to download on 56k :(
please give me advices folks, thanks.

Re: sp2

ultragpu said:
hi guys im just wondering if xp sp2 is really neccessary?
i hav xp sp1 and i download critical updates on a routine base. so will i still be alright without sp2? or will my system be in grave danger without it? and also i suppose it'll take forever to download on 56k :(
please give me advices folks, thanks.

Yes you should install XP2.

SP2 is more than just a collection of patches released since SP1 - it will contain updates and enhancements etc. not previously released before.

However, I'm going to wait until it's on Windows Update, first. It's not that exciting that I can't wait to download it, and given the problems with betas I'm going to see how other peoples' experiences are first. Fools rush in and all... :)

Yeah, I'll also wait until it's released on winupdate, that way I'll be sure it (probably) won't hose my system... Also, as I run a localized copy of the OS I don't want to mix different language files so I have to wait in any case! :D

It went out for the big OEMs already - it's highly unlikely there's gonna be any serious problem. ;)

Anyone notice their swap file usage has gone through the roof? My system "Commit Charge" with nothing much going on used to idle at about 150-250 megs. Since installing SP2, it's 1.3 gigs! :oops:

Are you still running the FireWall, Update agents, and Security Alert agents? Make sure no additional services are running. I had to re-disable a few of them after the SP2 install.

Yea JVD had to reinstall Windows XP after he installed SP2. :LOL:

I'd stay away from this for a couple of months until it's fully vetted.

BRiT said:
Are you still running the FireWall, Update agents, and Security Alert agents? Make sure no additional services are running. I had to re-disable a few of them after the SP2 install.

No, they've broken something in the taskmanager monitors. If I run my TV card, the swap usage shown goes up by one gig. Shut it down and it drops by a gig. There's no corresponding level of disk activity, so it's just the monitoring that gets it wrong.

Apart from that the installation went fine, though it did show up a couple of bits of software that weren't written well and subsequently broke.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Anyone notice their swap file usage has gone through the roof? My system "Commit Charge" with nothing much going on used to idle at about 150-250 megs. Since installing SP2, it's 1.3 gigs! :oops:

Just did an entirely fresh install of WinXP SP1, then installed SP2 on top of it. I did the same initial tweaks as on any other install. My Commit Charge with nothing going on is idle at 92 - 102 Megs. This is on a Shuttle XPC SFF system running with an XP 2400+ with 256M DDR 266Mhz ram (had a dimm die on me).

Do you only see the high commit charge when running your TV card or anything else that uses a lot of VMem?

Natoma said:

hehe yea .

Suddenly i had no windows on my c drive haha

BRiT said:
Do you only see the high commit charge when running your TV card or anything else that uses a lot of VMem?

No, it's just the TV card, but there's no way it's using an extra gig of virtual memory. I would feel/see the disk access if it was loading and unloading an extra gig of swap. It's just a weird bug in task manager.

jvd said:
Natoma said:

hehe yea .

Suddenly i had no windows on my c drive haha

It's because he's lame
lama.gif
, not because of SP2... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back