Terrible news for Nvidia

AlphaWolf said:
pat777 said:
DaveBaumann said:
The scary thought is - if you look at the market cap differentiation between ATI and NVIDIA, at these levels NVIDIA is potentially a purchase target for ATI...
Don't forget about Intel.

Well Intel has always been in a position where they could aquire nvidia.

Given that NV is a major manufacturer of AMD chipsets, I'd wonder if regulators might take a very close look at that.

AMD is not reliant on NVIDIA for chipsets - VIA and SIS can easily take its place in the market. The K8 chipsets which are most important for AMD right now are not that sucessful for NVIDIA with NFORCE3.

So the regulators wont be too concerned but I guess AMD would lose another valuable platform partner.

Tahir said:
AMD is not reliant on NVIDIA for chipsets - VIA and SIS can easily take its place in the market. The K8 chipsets which are most important for AMD right now are not that sucessful for NVIDIA with NFORCE3.

So the regulators wont be too concerned but I guess AMD would lose another valuable platform partner.

Khm.
Currently far the best chipset is the latest nForce3-250 series, especially the NF3 Ultra, for AMD K8 CPUs.
The only problem is pretty expensive (I guess so, based on mobo prices: mine was $230 but a VIA xx800 Pro well under $200 - even though VIA still couldn't fix everything on their chipset).

Comparing Doom 3 to The Sims and Myst is pointless. Compare it to games that need a graphics card, and THEN you will have a point. I expect that when it comes to 3D graphics games, Doom 3 will rank quite high in terms of sales, and thus it will effect the GPU market.

Quitch said:
Comparing Doom 3 to The Sims and Myst is pointless. Compare it to games that need a graphics card, and THEN you will have a point. I expect that when it comes to 3D graphics games, Doom 3 will rank quite high in terms of sales, and thus it will effect the GPU market.

I doubt it . YOu have to understand that those looking foward to doom 3 are also looking foward to half life 2 and other games. Perhaps more so than doom3 .

So even if doom3 sells a million. Half of them may already have the cards they will play doom3 with , are looking foward to other games , or its the only game they will play and thus are not interested in spending 300$ + to play doom 3 on 6800 hardware .

The same will of course go with half life 2 and all the other games. 1 game doesn't change anything .

Quitch said:

With First Person shooters taking third place and 9% of sales for PC gaming, and this FPS requires a stout video card that falls into the 1 % range for sales based on pricing, how exactly do you assume that.
My buddy that manages the local EB says it is Quake 3 all over again, Doom 3 is selling well, but also being returned alot due to system requirements.

JoshMST said:
Essentially, I think this boils down to "everyone upgrades eventually" but titles like Doom 3 and HL2 will cause a significant portion to do that well before they had planned to. I guess at the end of 3Q we will find out if in fact Doom 3 and HL2 have in fact accelerated many user's upgrade plans.

I disagree, their was no X-box, PS2, GC then, Doom 3 has more pre-orders on X-box than the PC at our local EB...alot more.

Quitch said:

WTF is pointless? :oops:
Seems you don't get it, let me put another way, OK?

Say EVERY SECOND D3 OWNER will buy a new VGA, OK? This is gonna be, say, 500K people, right?

Now take The Sims 2 and you'll have owners in most likely the 5-10 million range. Half of them currently play on a very basic or low-mid range machine - which will be too slow anyway for the S2, so if only every second will upgrade, you already doubled-quadrupled the D3-uprades.

Besides this an average Sim fan plays this game and its 'missions' for YEARS - they far more likely will upgrade or even invest to a new PC for their game's sake than D3 fans w/ their two months-worth game. Also the already-technofil', always-upgrader ratio is much higher within D3 fans than Sims players by default, by the nature of their fan bases - generally speaking the latter are much more likely will upgrade by THIS occasion.

Do not overestimate the shooters: FPS sales are somewhere around 10% from all PC games - which is quite unimpressive, if you're asking me...

Doomtrooper said:
JoshMST said:
Essentially, I think this boils down to "everyone upgrades eventually" but titles like Doom 3 and HL2 will cause a significant portion to do that well before they had planned to. I guess at the end of 3Q we will find out if in fact Doom 3 and HL2 have in fact accelerated many user's upgrade plans.

I disagree, their was no X-box, PS2, GC then, Doom 3 has more pre-orders on X-box than the PC at our local EB...alot more.

Are you serious? :oops:

hm.... well I guess it's not too shocking to me. I know at least 4 people getting it on the xbox, 2 getting it for pc...and another who is getting it for both platforms (one for eye candy, one for Xbox live).

It'd be um... quite ironic if the xbox version outsold (or came close to the same sales number of) the pc version in the end (after a couple years). :LOL:

Alstrong said:
Doomtrooper said:
JoshMST said:

Are you serious? :oops:

hm.... well I guess it's not too shocking to me. I know at least 4 people getting it on the xbox, 2 getting it for pc...and another who is getting it for both platforms (one for eye candy, one for Xbox live).

It'd be um... quite ironic if the xbox version outsold (or came close to the same sales number of) the pc version in the end (after a couple years). :LOL:

Actually it fits into the 'bigger picture': consoles always sold MUCH MORE than PCs. No warez, no diff hw whining, no install - just stick it in and play.

Doomtrooper said:
JoshMST said:

yup and doom3 isn't even big on the xbox .

When i worked at gamestop back in 2001 . We had 350 preorders for one of the final fantesys . they had 15 for doom3 . They had 10 for eq2 . They have 112 for sims 2 .

I just find it funny/weird/ironic that id would be getting more sales from a platform they don't develop on :LOL:

no warez on consoles,

have u forgot about chipping or having boot discs, and as for x-box, i know a few people who have it chipped and have larger harddrives in them and then just download the game and chuck in on.

(Cant stand fps games on consoles, with a gamepad. u need keyboard and mouse)

and as 4 doom 3 on xbox, it doesnt look very nice, and the video i saw of it showed it stuttering alot, the xbox can barley play ut2003 nevermind doom 3.

Monty said:
no warez on consoles,

have u forgot about chipping or having boot discs, and as for x-box, i know a few people who have it chipped and have larger harddrives in them and then just download the game and chuck in on.

It's likely not as big a problem as on PC. On PC you just need to know where to find the stuff and download it.

(Cant stand fps games on consoles, with a gamepad. I need a keyboard and a mouse)

Fixed ;)

and as 4 doom 3 on xbox, it doesnt look very nice, and the video i saw of it showed it stuttering alot, the xbox can barley play ut2003 nevermind doom 3.

It's definitely running on the equivalent of low settings or less than if you consider the size of the levels. For the hardware it's playing on, I'm surprised it's running, so it's not exactly too much to complain about. :p What did you expect exactly? Chronicles of Riddick :?: :LOL:

Unreal Championship was in great need of optimization. The sequel should run much smoother with Unreal Engine 2.X in the final retail. The videos of it are already much better than UC.

But I digress from the topic....

pat777 said:
jvd said:
nvidia being gone could allow video lodgic to make a come back :)
You don't want your dad to be mad(at nVIDIA being gone), do you?

He wont be mad.

He buys what i tell him to buy . He really doesn't know who nvidia or ati is . He still thinks 3dfx is still around

jvd said:
pat777 said:
jvd said:
nvidia being gone could allow video lodgic to make a come back :)
You don't want your dad to be mad(at nVIDIA being gone), do you?

He wont be mad.

He buys what i tell him to buy . He really doesn't know who nvidia or ati is . He still thinks 3dfx is still around
Something must be wrong with my memory, I could have sworn you said he was an nVIDIA fan.

Back on topic:
I really dont't want nVIDIA to go. Hopefully, a new competitor will arise and keep the competition instead of dying or buying out ATi if nVIDIA dies.

yea if i said he was an nvidia he likes the drivers as its easier for him to change the settings for aa and it looks "nicer"

But he doesn't know its nvidia.

Though my little sister is a bit nuts on the subject

Talking about how the GeForce 6800 may take off and help get nVidia earnings is rather pointless. It won't. The high-end really doesn't effect the bottom line that much. It's the low-end that matters.

And currently, well, nVidia isn't that well-positioned in the low-end PC graphics market. But the NV4x architecture is a great architecture, and when it does move to the low-end, it should really sell like mad.

Back