People's thoughts on Banias?

Saem

Veteran
Title says it all. WHat do you think of the up comming Intel mobile chip. I'd like to steer clear of the political aspect such as the PR ratings and would like to stick to more architectural discussion.

IMHO the Banias focus on low power is the right thing to do.

With +1.4GHz and +1MB l2 cache it should be very, very fast :)

The next 3.0GHz P4 will require new mobos and consume 70watts, most people dont need that. There will be a version for servers (edited: I mean Banias version for servers) and it could be great for desktops, the problem will be the price.

I hardlly see the WinXP performance indicator showing usage higher than 6% of my P3 while running some SOHO apps (browsing, word, excell, pp). Multimedia (movies, dvd, etc..) only use up to 30%.

The real demand come from games, but lets see how the HW T&L behave. I am waiting anxiouslly UT2K3 to test it.

*- unrelated -*
(must be my special off topic day, I wrote two messages ^^)

Did you got my ICQ email saem ?
Somehow I'm unable to use pm :(

I think it has a lot of silicon space available because the CPU core is small. IIRC with 1MB l2 cache the Banias die size (~100mm2) is smaller than the Northwood die size (~140mm2).

More Banias: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1702&p=2
The 0.13-micron Banias processor weighs in at 77 million transistors; you’ll note that this is a higher transistor count than the current 0.13-micron Northwood Pentium 4 processor. By far the biggest consumer of transistors is cache and thus we would expect Banias to have a fairly large L2 cache, probably around 1MB. We confirmed that the architecture is basically Pentium III derived with the addition of the features mentioned below.

Then it is a modified P3 :)

The large level 2 cache is to increase hit rates. Remember, it takes a hefty amount of power to makes accesses to memory. The lower you can keep them, the lower the power consumption. Also, the lower the latency to memory accesses, the less time you spend in higher power consumption states.

I'd also drop by real worldtech and see Mr. DeMone's keeping x86 cool. A very nice article, indeed.

The next 3.0GHz P4 will require new mobos and consume 70watts, most people dont need that. There will be a version for servers (edited: I mean Banias version for servers) and it could be great for desktops, the problem will be the price.

I'm really curious about this. The thing is that the 2GHz willie was pumping out 90 Watts max. If the 3 GHz is doing 70 watts, big deal.

I wonder if the processors high frequency has anything to do with really high electromagnetic interference.

Hopefully we can get input from MfA or somebody else who's knowledgable in the field.

The new P4 will require a more powerfull PWM regulator than willie requires.

I thing the 90 watts was thermal but the 70 watts are RMS in normal conditions :eek:

I did not understand what you said about EMI, could you elaborate please?

Just thought that the very high frequency would mean that there would be signifcantly more EMI than there are tolerance levels built into current motherboards.

Yeah, I realized that now. Thermal vs Power draw.

Then it is a modified P3

wrong. its basic achitecture is similar to the Pentium III generation rather than the Pentium IV. that doesnt mean its a modified PIII. The Banias was designed from the ground up.

Ok I mean a modified/improved P6 level architecture. The microarchitecture/chip design is not the same, is it better for you?

Back