SOCOM II logs more hours than all of Xbox Live

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
July 29, 2004

Sony today released some interesting stats on the number of gamers that have been online playing their SOCOM II for the PlayStation 2. Here’s just how popular the game has become:

Since May 1st 2004 SOCOM II has averaged 373,000 player hours per day. By itself, SOCOM II is logging more player hours daily than ALL Xbox titles worldwide.

The total numbers of player hours for SOCOM II is fast approaching 94 million hours, or the equivalent of 10,835 YEARS of straight gameplay.

Even nine months after launch, SOCOM II is still seeing more than 30,000 simultaneous users per day, far and away more than any other console title. That is like logging on and playing SOCOM II with the entire graduate and undergraduate student population of the University of Southern California!

On any average day, there are more than 103,000 unique SOCOM II accounts logging-in, which is equivalent to the entire capacity of the University of Michigan Stadium, one of the largest sporting venues in the United States.

For the few PS2 owners that have yet to play the online shooter, read up in our review found here

www.bonusstage.com[/url]

More than 103,000 uniques per day? Wow, a few months ago my friend at SCEA told me they were up to over 70K. That's a substantial improvement.

Maybe MS will wake up and start providing hosting services for their own damn games (and I don't mean 'Xserve').

It's hardly suprising that a game on system with 5 times the userbase, free online service, and with only one good online action game would post the above numbers.

Johnny Awesome said:
It's hardly suprising that a game on system with 5 times the userbase, free online service, and with only one good online action game would post the above numbers.

Yeah, imagine what will happen with GT4 :)

Johnny Awesome said:

It's hardly surprising that you would come into a thread like this and say what you just did.

Paul said:
Johnny Awesome said:

It's hardly surprising that you would come into a thread like this and say what you just did.

But he is mostly right (maybe not on the number of "good" online games which is highyl subjective).

What is funny with this PR is that they count the number of hours logged on Socom2. We should start to estimate the total number of played hours for offline games. It would be like "1 Million years of straight gameplay" ...

I wonder what will happen to XBL once DooM3 hits Xbox. Or Halo 2.

I had a subscription to Xbox Live for a while, but it just wasn't worth it. MechAssault and Crimson Skies are decent games, but no match for UT2k4 or Warcraft 3. Free downloads for Ninja Gaiden are cool, but still not worth paying for Xbox Live.

DooM3... I don't know how many people will play this on Xbox. I have too many doubts about the performance of doom3 on Xbox.

Halo2 will be the real moment of truth for Xbox Live. Once there's a truly good multiplayer game for Xbox Live, will the numbers start taking off, or will it remain relatively small? There's still enough people in the world living with 56k dialup, unable to connect to XBL...

Have they posted stats for any of the other online games? (Well, non-sports since I don't care about them, and non-MMO since they're easier to find.) All I ever really see are SOCOM and SOCOM II numbers...

You'd think the world would have realized how much worse it is to play FPSes on consoles by now. :p ;)

Back