6800GT review by some 'Hanners' guy...

You're absolutely right, that one slipped through the net somehow thanks to a moment of stupidity.

I'm none too keen on fishing through driver sets to find a non-broken one and using a mish-mash of drivers in the review, so I've just added a note to that section to basically discount the GeForceFX boards 8xS shots as inaccurate.

Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Hanners said:
You're absolutely right, that one slipped through the net somehow thanks to a moment of stupidity.

I'm none too keen on fishing through driver sets to find a non-broken one and using a mish-mash of drivers in the review, so I've just added a note to that section to basically discount the GeForceFX boards 8xS shots as inaccurate.

Thanks for pointing it out. :)

SUre hanners, I wasnt sure if you just didnt notice or not, but since you did and you'll correct. Kudos on the review, Me and some buds were talken about it earlier :)

Btw you should be able to use riva tuner and get the apropriate mode available. It just uses a different registry setting than the new one. :)

- Painkiller (v1.3)
Application AA/AF

Can you set AF with Painkiller within the app?

Apart from that little bit of minutiae, I thought it was spot on. I can maybe sort out Hanners' lack of X800 PRO too ;)

Rys

Fantastic overview + review, Hanners. (OK, I skimmed through much of the text, but I've no reason to suspect you've suddenly lost your talent for writing.)

Really, I'm quite upset about it. I was tasked to write a basic graphics card overview elsewhere, but I don't think I can do much more or better than what you've done. Honestly, what's the point, now?

Well done, you Elite Bastard. :p

Rys said:

You can't set exact levels of AF, but it is available as an option in the application, yes.

Oh, and check your PMs... I'm sure you don't want to have a grown man kissing you in a public thread. :? ;)

Hanners said:
Rys said:

You can't set exact levels of AF, but it is available as an option in the application, yes.

Oh, and check your PMs... I'm sure you don't want to have a grown man kissing you in a public thread. :? ;)

Must be a new thing with the 1.3 patch, I'll investigate further (I thought I was running 1.3, turns out it's the older 1.15 patch and there's definitely no AF control in that version).

And if only I were a grown woman..... :LOL:

Rys

Hanners said:
I can totally see where BZB is coming from to be fair - There just isn't a lot I can do about it unless someone chooses to donate an X800 Pro. :p

To be honest though, I would hope that nobody who reads my review will take it as a be all and end all of what board to purchase. At the end of the day I've chosen my 'perspective' based around what I have, and considering an oft-asked question around forums these days is 'Is it worth me upgrading my 9800 Pro for a 6800GT?', I'd like to think that I have at least answered that question.

sure you have, and the whole point in the "gfx" scene is variety. Those kind of direct comparisons from the previous gen to the next gen are often the ones that are missing to form a full picture, and IMHO they are the most important ones and quite rare, esp ones which compare highest playable resolutions between the old and new gen cards.

So in one word - great review...

… With no anisotropic filtering and 2x AF enabled, all three boards give out very similar output, but as the level of filtering is increased, the two nVidia boards pull substantially away from the Radeon 9800 Pro with regard to image quality, showing areas where the scene is significantly better filtered than the ATI board can manage. Out of the two nVidia boards the difference is much closer, but the 5900 takes the crown for the best looking anisotropic implementation at both 4x and 8x filtering.
Why do you say the NV cards are doing better filtering than the ATI cards? I looked at the SS2 screenshots and they are all providing the same level of AF. The 9800 card has some ground artifacts on the left side -- but the 6800 has the same thing, only it’s pushed farther into the courtyard corner. I don’t think this has anything to do with AF - if that is what you are referring to.

The review test rig should've been better matched to the 6800GT being used. The CPU is really slow and a bottleneck for the GT. Next time, a faster rig and with a better mobo and RAM should be used--see Anandtech's review systems for reference.

Optimummind said:
The review test rig should've been better matched to the 6800GT being used. The CPU is really slow and a bottleneck for the GT. Next time, a faster rig and with a better mobo and RAM should be used--see Anandtech's review systems for reference.

I'll take that as an offer to buy me a new system? :D

Hanners said:
Optimummind said:

I'll take that as an offer to buy me a new system? :D

haha, you wish. :D

Back