[H]OCP does Radeon9700 I.Q....

Well, the only other game that I know of that has a wireframe mode is Morrowind (I'm sure there are others...but can't think of any but Evolva...and I doubt you have that game...), but I can't capture FSAA at all on my GeForce4 with that one.

Anyway, I have compiled a very simple program that renders a few lines radiating out from a central point. It renders in OpenGL, in a window, so it may or may not show those issues jb posted...if you'd like it, I can e-mail it to you.

Chalnoth said:
Well, the only other game that I know of that has a wireframe mode is Morrowind (I'm sure there are others...but can't think of any but Evolva...and I doubt you have that game...), but I can't capture FSAA at all on my GeForce4 with that one.

Anyway, I have compiled a very simple program that renders a few lines radiating out from a central point. It renders in OpenGL, in a window, so it may or may not show those issues jb posted...if you'd like it, I can e-mail it to you.

Sure, I'll give it a shot tonight. No, I don't have Morrowind so that's out. Email me at my hotmail account. If the file is to big for hotmail I can email you another addy.

Mize

Mize,

All the technology demos for the 8500 support Wireframe mode...including Nature (I know Rachel does)...

That might be a idea also.

That's right...so do nearly all nVidia tech demos...but it may not be possible to show any of the demos on both cards.

Mize said:
Sure, I'll give it a shot tonight. No, I don't have Morrowind so that's out. Email me at my hotmail account. If the file is to big for hotmail I can email you another addy.

Mize

Okay, the e-mail is away. Hopefully 277kb isn't too big. Hopefully the program works. I use Borland's C++ Builder because it's easy to use...unfortunately it sometimes has fits when I tell it not to compile using the runtime libraries. The program is running fine on my machine, though, so hopefully it'll also work on yours...

Hax,

I am using the drivers that came on the CD with the card (at work can not verify the derv numb till I get home).

I noticed it happend in UT runging in OGL mode as well as CS which are two games that are NOT based on the Q3 stuff :) I did try it on SS:SE in opengl mode but can not remember for sure so I did not bring it up for that one. I also tried the lasest ver of Fraps and Hyper snap and both of them gave the same type of currupted images.

Also when using tribes the whole menu screen is blacked out using FSAA. In fact the only part that visble is a small section around the mouse pointer. This is in OGL too as well.

Both of these issues are not big at all. I just can not show off any of my cool screen shots (unless they are D3D) heheeh :)

I'm up for taking some shots as well. Chalnoth can you email me that file @ donald@3dgpu? I will also figure out how to get Morrowind into wireframe mode tonight as I do have that title.

TY DT, I will try as soon as I can.

EDIT:

I am still in the stone ages and on 2k Pro. I see that these are for XP? Should I wait for 2k version?

Didn't ASUS release "cheat" drivers a few years ago that allowed you to forced wireframe and enable seeing through walls? As I recall they caught hell for it.

DT,

I could not get the drivers to install. I tried to use the setup.exe (which I did not think would work) and installed by hand. Both times it gave me an error about XP something. No biggie.

Update:
New drivers fixed issue. I have nice screenies that I now can paste all over the net...mhwaahaahhahahahaahahaha :devilish:

Well....I just got my 9700....WOOT....should I reformat completely? (I'm lazy....and want to use it right now!)

You could format and install on an on demand basis. If martrox demands, martrox installs. That way you can play with your toy much sooner.

Galilee said:
?
I am just curious. I am sure it's a great feature. Unfortunately I can't see it in screenshots, but I'll take ATI's word for it :D (just kidding)

What is this gamme curve anyway? Just a basic thing? or something from my monitor drivers? What happens if I use Plug & Play drivers for my monitor and if I have two different monitors.

There are a *lot* of important, highly visible things you'll never see in screen shots but can easily notice when actually playing a game on the specified hardware. Ever see a screen shot show "shimmer"?....;)

Back in 3dfx days it was so obvious to those of us with V5 hardware what a difference in shimmer RGAA made over progressive grid AA (right Wavey, Rev?...;)) But you could not capture it in a screen shot. For some reason some reviewers felt that if it couldn't be reduced to a screen shot it wasn't worth discussing. How absolutely untrue that is. You can view screen shots until Eternity comes knocking and often fail to capture the character and flavor of the hardware you're working with.

I've often thought that screen shots are most useful for showing obvious flaws and repeatable errors. But if you expect a 3D screen shot from another hardware platform to accurately portray that platform, I think you're asking way too much. An extreme example of this principle is the horrible screen shots everyone from Anand on down ran of the 3dfx V3 when the card first shipped. Because of the way the V3 rendered frames you needed specially adapted software to get an accurate frame grab that would reasonably portray the frame you intended to grab. These early reviewers didn't know this and didn't bother to find out and the screen shots they posted were horrible--much worse than the V2, I thought at the time. Amazingly, the reviewers ( I remember Anand specifically) realized the screen shots were not indicative of the actual image quality of the V3 which *they saw*--and said so in their reviews--and yet they published these horrific screen shots anyway. A bit later the screen grab software was modified to correctly work with the V3 and this problem disappeared. But in the beginning you absolutely got nothing of value from the screen shots that purported to represent V3 image quality.

So if it's true that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, you definitely shouldn't judge a videocard by a screenshot...;)

Back