[H]OCP does Radeon9700 I.Q....

martrox

Old Fart
Veteran
Yrs, [H]ard to believe, but the first comparison of ATI 9700 to nVidia TI4600 I.Q. comes from [H]OCP :

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzQ0

The overall image quality in terms of 2D, TVOut, DVD, and 3D color vibrance is exceptional. Obviously subject tests, but from someone who plays a lot of games, I really enjoyed playing them on the Radeon 9700 Pro. I have a lot of people ask me though, "What about the drivers?" And to that I say, what about them? No driver is perfect, not NVIDIA’s, not ATI’s, not Matrox's. Every driver for every video card has some kind of issues of its own that either you deal with and take the time to solve, or you give up and start flaming about it on message boards. I experienced NO problems with the drivers I used on the Radeon 9700 Pro. There were no weird glitches, no weird texture or artifact problems, no stability issues, and no installation problems. For me everything went smooth. There really is no question about it, if you want the best image quality and performance, the Radeon 9700 Pro is where it’s at right now.

I agree that the 3D image quality is exceptionally good.
2x AA on the R9700 beats 4x AA on the GF4 on most tests :)

I can't wait to put back the card in my machine. :rolleyes:

(It's currently sitting on my desk, waiting for ATI to release drivers that work stable enough to permit work...)

DaveBaumann said:
I thnk the FSAA Gamma correction is another of those things you have to see in action.
Yes, the problem with this is that if you and the one who took the shots have different gamma settings, the shots may even look worse than those from another card without gamma correction.

Xmas said:
Hyp-X said:
Then obviously we're not looking at the same pictures.

I think he is looking at the pictures just fine...just look at the verticals on the UT 2003 shots..not to mention the frame counter. This is coming from someone that has a card..unlike some people here
soupson.gif

The 2X comparisons are not even close.

9700 2X
1030137851qW5Z873PPk_3_13_l.jpg

4600 2X
1030137851qW5Z873PPk_3_21_l.jpg

BTW nice review Brent..

Doomtrooper said:
Xmas said:
Hyp-X said:
Then obviously we're not looking at the same pictures.

I think he is looking at the pictures just fine...just look at the verticals on the UT 2003 shots..not to mention the frame counter. This is coming from someone that has a card..unlike some people here
soupson.gif

The 2X comparisons are not even close.

<snip>

BTW nice review Brent..

doom, did you actually bother to read what Xmas said before jumping the gun? or do you really believe those pics you posted actually show how 9700's 2x FSAA beats NV's 4x FSAA??

Is it just me, or is there "something" along those edges of the 9700 2x shot. I don't want to accuse anybody of anything, but it looks like there's been touchup along the edges of the tall spikey thing. Like edge enhancement, or blur or something.

Also, why are there extraneous green pixels around the 9700 frame counter?

I hesitate to mention it, because I'm sure to be labeled an NVIDIOT, but something looks out of order to my eye on the 9700 2x shot. Maybe its a different jpeg ratio, or something else, though.

Darkblu,

I never stated beat but very close indeed and certainly 2X vs. 2X is not even close...I would say the 2X 9700 shot looks VERY close to 4X 4600..so close in motion they would look very similar.

RussSchultz said:
Is it just me, or is there "something" along those edges of the 9700 2x shot. I don't want to accuse anybody of anything, but it looks like there's been touchup along the edges of the tall spikey thing. Like edge enhancement, or blur or something.

I hesitate to mention it, because I'm sure to be labeled an NVIDIOT, but something looks out of order to my eye on the 9700 2x shot. Maybe its a different jpeg ratio, or something else, though.
Very likely just jpeg artifacts. Personally, I think if you're going to compare FSAA methods, then jpeg compression should not be used! Modem users be damned, it's not worth compromising the comparison to save a few minutes of download time.

Doomtrooper said:
Darkblu,

I never stated beat but very close indeed and certainly 2X vs. 2X is not even close...I would say the 2X 9700 shot looks VERY close to 4X 4600..so close in motion they would look very similar.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Based purely on the above pics, I'd say nVidia's 4X is noticeably better than ATi's 2X, as it should be.

RussSchultz said:

Thank you very very much everyone, i do appreciate everyone's comments

Those are JPEG compression artifacts

I DO have the NON compressed images and they can be provided through email if you wish brent@hardocp.com

they are very large in file size though as they are the original .bmp files, i believe some are in the order of 5MB each :eek:

but if your email server can hold it i'll be glad to rar whatever you want up and send them, just give me a holler...

Whoa... using a warez copy of UT2003 in an article = big ballz!

GF4 4x is better than 9700 2x based on the shots posted in this thread (just going with the flow here... dunno why anyone started this comparison in the first place).

Image compression artifacts as noticeable as the ones here (in a IQ article) = bad !

But a good read nonetheless, Brent! Looks like you've been doing a better job at most things than Kyle since you joined him! ;) :LOL:

Maybe its hard for people to understand here what I believe I'm trying to point out..the 2X AA 4600 shot is not even close, the 2X 9700 and 4X 4600 shots are actually very close on the vertical pillars and is certainly a MUCH better comparison in IQ than the 2X 4600.

I will remove the 4X shot to point out the obvious.

Yes, the problem with this is that if you and the one who took the shots have different gamma settings, the shots may even look worse than those from another card without gamma correction.

Completely *FALSE*.... The gama correction is going to be different on *Each* system. therefore getting the *best* results. I cant belive none of you called the guy on a statement like this.

Hyp-X..

Dont even go there...... You may be having issues with your specific hardware config.. maybe you are trying to OC... or some other issue.... but the Drivers are Stable and have few issues for 99% of the people. I do *NOT* like the insinuation that the drivers are crap or they are to blame.

It is quite clear from reading several forums that there are a number of people out there going out of their way to exagerate, overstate..... and imo... intentionally trying to view the 9700 in a bad light. There is a clear difference between people who are havign problems and are objectively, and constructively posting about it.. and those with an *agenda*.

Back