Need new power supply, good brands?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I don't keep up much with power supplies since I get them so seldomly, but my PC has crashed 3 times now in two days with the octave high/low siren wail indicating either overheating or bad voltage....and I cleaned all my fans/heatsinks out yesterday to make sure and my temps are all good so I'm assuming me faithful Ennermax 350w is finally dying. (It's about 4-5 years old now, and they were good years. 8) )

I like Ennermax as a PS brand, but what other brands is it a pretty safe bet to get? I'm using pricewatch right now and was just confused as hell by the plethoria of PS brandnames!

Is Sparkle still a good/inexpensive PS maker, or am I remembering that wrong too?

*Antler and Tagen/Tagan are both very good brands.
Superflower as well (though I have not had any first hand experience with these).

Edit: Antec and not Antler... d'oh!

Another good model: Akasa Ultra Quiet Active PFC 460W PSU (DUAL 12V RAILS) ....

Well, I've narrowed it down to NewEgg for sure already....I just like buying from them as they're great if there is any problems and the stuff generally arrives a day early. (Not to mention the freebies....both the above power supplies come with a free t-shirt! ;) )

If they carry it at NewEgg, I'll look at it.

Cool, and that Coolmax is actually a Tauras. :)

I'm still looking, I got a few hours to kill...I'm just glad I figured out what the problem was and it seems right to me. :D (Well, that and I'm getting another forced upgrade...the wife never argues/bitches about forced upgrades, she knows how I get when one of the rigs is down. :? )

Now that I've ordered it, I'm going and looking up reviews for it. :rolleyes: (Yeah, I do things backwards a lot)

I'm enthused, I think I did pretty good. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Now that I've ordered it, I'm going and looking up reviews for it. :rolleyes: (Yeah, I do things backwards a lot)

I'm enthused, I think I did pretty good. :)

i'm almost doing the same thing .. Excepted for my X800 XT PE ordered ... i checked a lot of reviews first ... btw ... dont have the choice for this ;)

RainZ

I saw this review of a fanless PSU the other week, it had a heatpipe connecting one of the internal sinks to the outside chassis. It had VERY GOOD performance data as far as voltage stability etc under load. Don't remember what the name was.

Oh, and it cost a lot of money too. :D

I have a vantaec ion 400 watt power supply . Its serial ata ready (comes with the adapters ) 2 temp controlled fans and 3 speed thermal fan control switch

works very well even have my water pumped plugged into it :)

{Sniping}Waste said:
This is the best for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-111-702&depa=1
Channel well are solid PSU and make all the Turbo link and Antec PSU.
Antec over charge for there PSU made by Channel well so get the same thing for a lower price.

Im using a 500w duel fan Turbo link now and loving it. It only cost me $45.
Thanks Snipe, that's exactly the info I was looking for actually....so Channelwell is the Lite-on of power supplies? ;)

I'm still happy with the ThermalTake I got and I don't mind having paid a bit too much, I like all it's features and it's rails are supposed to be right on the money and solid as hell as well as it having active PFC. (Which I don't really understand, but I think it's a GOOD THING(tm) )

Besides, my wife approved it so it's all good. 8)

I'm sort of hoping this fixes my weird memory mixing problem too, a weird power supply can make a system do goofy things.

Back