Did Silent Hill 4 bomb in japan?

The series has been so milked this generation, I wouldn't be surprised. I also get the impression that SH4 had an overall lower operating budget as well, so it may all be proportional and work itself out afterall.

The Silent Hills never sold well in Japan (except the first one), the series sells better in Europe and US (BTW it's not a best seller either). For example Silent Hill 3 was released first in Europe.

Another example is the sales datas of SH2 (one of the first "big" PS2 game): 138,217 sold in Japan 506,283 copies sold in the US... (BTW, the Xbox version sold 12,084 in Japan and 133,301 in the US)

Silent Hills are a "niche", psychological horror is definitely not "Mass Market".

SH3 must have sold under 130k in Japan as well (since it didn't make the Top 100). SH itself sold around 290k as the apex. Anyone have SH3's numbers in North America and Europe to contrast?

It seems to indeed be more niche in Japan and more popular elsewhere, but it can still be counted on for decent sales, and is similarly useful to showcase Konami's technical talent, which assists them as a whole elsewhere as well.

zurich said:
The series has been so milked this generation, I wouldn't be surprised. I also get the impression that SH4 had an overall lower operating budget as well, so it may all be proportional and work itself out afterall.

I don't think "milk" is even remotely related to SH series. Each SH is unique and SH4 is very different from the previous 3.

It is not RE, nor DOA, nor Street Fighter ? +some-suffix.

edit: corrected some typo.

SH2 was advertised MUCH more than SH3, it was the first successor to a very successful game on PS1, and at the time, it was one of the few great looking/playing/anything games on PS2, which people were eagerly awaiting for.
SH3 was hardly advertised, and it was only known because of the technical side of it, which is undeniably great.
SH4, same as above.

Come PS3, if the series continues, the first one will be the most successful because people will want to see how a SH game will look on PS3 (or whatever next gen platform), then the excitement will subside...

Also, making one title almost every year is wrong in my opinion, SH was a classy game and it looks like they just milked the franchise to make quick money. At least the games are still very very good, which cannot be said of 99% of milked-franchises...

Oh, and since i mentioned it... SH on PS3... :oops: :oops: :oops: :devilish:

wazoo said:
Evil_Cloud said:
Tell that Capcom. :LOL:

Capcom is not the only milking guy on ps2, SH3, Jak3, WRC4, RC3, CMR5 (3 on p2), and so on, not counting the yearly company, EA

Don't for get grand theft auto 3 , vice city and now san andreas (sp?)

How about final fantsys aren't there now 4 on the system ?

Lets not even get into the sonics on the gamecube

jvd said:
wazoo said:
Evil_Cloud said:
Tell that Capcom. :LOL:

Capcom is not the only milking guy on ps2, SH3, Jak3, WRC4, RC3, CMR5 (3 on p2), and so on, not counting the yearly company, EA

Don't for get grand theft auto 3 , vice city and now san andreas (sp?)

How about final fantsys aren't there now 4 on the system ?

Lets not even get into the sonics on the gamecube

4 FF games? Where? On Ps2? Last time i counted they were 3, one of which is completely different from the usual FF games (ff11). At least they differ from each other enough!
Capcom is the worst in this regard. I mean they're still releasing Street Fighter games WITH THE SAME SPRITES AS 10 OR MORE YEARS AGO!!!!!

4 FF games? Where? On Ps2? Last time i counted they were 3, one of which is completely different from the usual FF games (ff11). At least they differ from each other enough!
Capcom is the worst in this regard. I mean they're still releasing Street Fighter games WITH THE SAME SPRITES AS 10 OR MORE YEARS AGO!!!!!

Your right. the 4th is an expansion for the online version :)

As for cpacom I really liked the street fighter collection ( i bought a ps2 though the controlls suck) and the mega man collection.

I would love to see things like that more often.

Now would be ideal for nintendo and sega to make an ages pack where for 20$ u get say the whole mario saga from mario bros to yoshi's ilsand 2 on the super nes and for sonic from sonic 1 - sonic cd and the 32x sonics .

They are fun and as more and more time goes on less and less of the older systems will continue working.

I also enjoyed the final fantsy collection which collected the first 6 of them.

Its really nice as my old carts are getting worn out and my nes doesn't like to play games anymore .

i thought its nintendo that holds this crown :)

kopio0 said:
i thought its nintendo that holds this crown :)

At least every new Mario or Zelda game looks different from the last one. A Street Fighter-based game released TODAY with the SAME sprites as the 15 year old one is a complete freaking JOKE. And that's what they've been doing, with a very few exceptions.

Nintendo may be trying to steal the crown with some GBA games but that's as far as it goes really. They're not the ones to rehash a game into the same exact thing but with a little better graphics. Most of the experiences Nintendo games provide are at least somewhat original and the content pertaining to the specific character universe is mostly new.

But yeah, Nintendo has milked its franchises for a very long time, but it still pays off and the games are still very good so I see no reason to stop. Of course the proper marketing would help sales out quite a bit.

Capcom is the king of milking games. I don't think any company can surpass the Street Fighter 2 game and its various iterations with regards to versions released.

Back