Nvidia Roadmap Shows Nv30 Q1 2003 ??

kaigai02.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0905/kaigai01.htm

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0731/kaigai01.htm

Not sure if its legit..from some Japanese or Chinese site ?

According to both charts, it looks like the NV30 straddles Q4 2002 and Q1 2003, which would suggest that a launch in Q4 with limited availability and volume shipment in Q1 2003. Seems to fit with the rumors going around.

Ahhh...but if you look carefully, you'll see that NV30 partially overlaps 4Q '02. ;)

This would seem to agree with a common speculation of NV30 possibly "trickling out" for X-mas, but meaningful volume in Q1.

The chart does also suggest that NV18 and NV28 are AGP 8X versions of the current GeForce4 parts.

EDIT: Damnit....not fast enough....

this is noting new.
This is what the CEO said - ready for XMAS season big volume beginning of Q1.
I don't see anything new with this and even no problem at all because it is what everybody expects.

This is what the CEO said - ready for XMAS season big volume beginning of Q1.

Actually, the CEO only said half of that. He did say "ready r X-Mas season." (Of course, "X-mas season" is a vague term. Does he mean Dec 25th? Mid November, Early October?)

But he never said anything about volume production timeframe. When essentially asked about "when volume would ramp up" he only commented on how NV30 is not a large volume product to begin with.

Most interpreted his statements (and are speculating) to mean no volume until Q1, but that's nothing he actually said.

In any case, It could be interesting to know what those white boxes say. (Presumably they say something that differentiates the products they point to from previous products?)

What does it say about NV31 and NV3X?

If this "roadmap" is legit, it also makes the NV35 the fall '03 product, not the Spring '03 like many have been assuming / speculating.

Running it through BabelFish shows that this is just another hey-lets-gather-what-we-have-of-rumors-and-write-whatever. Fair enough.

I didn't spot any news - or new rumors, that is.

when does 'Fall' end for you Yanks? Autumn ends for us Brits at end of November really and Winter is December onwards..

Interestingly it shows the NV28 sitting lower down than the NV25...overlapping into the mainstream market...

More 'information' pointing to a slower clocked / less pipes / cheaper NV25?

Note the NV18 is on the same line as the NV17, suggesting that its about the same speed.

McElvis said:
Interestingly it shows the NV28 sitting lower down than the NV25...overlapping into the mainstream market...

More 'information' pointing to a slower clocked / less pipes NV25?

More likely just a reflection on pricing hence position in the market place. i.e. NV25 was high end when it came out, but now economies of scale / better processes have brought that down. Also, when NV30 is released NV25/28 will no longer be their high end 'enthusiast' board.

LeStoffer said:
Running it through BabelFish shows that this is just another hey-lets-gather-what-we-have-of-rumors-and-write-whatever. Fair enough.

I didn't spot any news - or new rumors, that is.

I just have to say something real quick about this:

A Japanese friend of mine and I sat down laughing our asses off at how inaccurate Babelfish is at translating between Japanese and English.

Randell said:
when does 'Fall' end for you Yanks? Autumn ends for us Brits at end of November really and Winter is December onwards..

I think Winter official starts in mid-December in the states.

speculation about nvidia's new high end chip is starting to drive me nuts but it is a bit strange that nvidia's ceo says on the one hand that only 2 companies have the 3 or 4 hundred engineers necessary to design a chip like nv30 (and presumably r300) and on the other hand that the enthusiast market isn't that important and nv30 isn't a high volume product. i got this information from posts here so i suspect there is more to the story than just the sound bites but sheesh this just doesn't compute. [/code][/list]

TheMightyPuck said:
speculation about nvidia's new high end chip is starting to drive me nuts but it is a bit strange that nvidia's ceo says on the one hand that only 2 companies have the 3 or 4 hundred engineers necessary to design a chip like nv30 (and presumably r300) and on the other hand that the enthusiast market isn't that important and nv30 isn't a high volume product. i got this information from posts here so i suspect there is more to the story than just the sound bites but sheesh this just doesn't compute. [/code][/list]

What he meant was only Nvidia and ATi have the engineers necessary to compete in terms of technology. That doesn't mean the high end market makes big sales for them, but the high end tech trickles down to mainstream and then low end. And of course having a high end part sells your lower end parts... So, yeah, I see your confusion, but it's easily explained by the CEO trying to cast the situation in the best light possible (aka PR).

"
Actually, the CEO only said half of that. He did say "ready r X-Mas season." (Of course, "X-mas season" is a vague term. Does he mean Dec 25th? Mid November, Early October?)

But he never said anything about volume production timeframe. When essentially asked about "when volume would ramp up" he only commented on how NV30 is not a large volume product to begin with.
"

Well he said that they will make a little revenue in Q4 and more revenue in Q1.
AMD uses these kind of explanations in there conference calls too.
Everyone knows what that means so there is nothing new to mee with this information.
Its even unimportant because when Nvidia starts to send Review Boards out no one really cares when they are available unless its too long.
To have an influenceon the market and behaviour of the customers , few sales are already enough and the price drop on all other products begins.
In the end this roadmap says nothing but ready for xmax season. That's it.

"
speculation about nvidia's new high end chip is starting to drive me nuts but it is a bit strange that nvidia's ceo says on the one hand that only 2 companies have the 3 or 4 hundred engineers necessary to design a chip like nv30 (and presumably r300) and on the other hand that the enthusiast market isn't that important and nv30 isn't a high volume product. i got this information from posts here so i suspect there is more to the story than just the sound bites but sheesh this just doesn't compute
"

Well what he meant is that the entry barrier in the 3d market is pretty high.
In earlier conference calls he said that the competition is increasing in 2002 but he expects a lot of competitors leaving this special desktop market in the long run and i agree with him.
SIS, Trident and so on have not the manpower to recycle their products in a 6 month timeframe.
The CEO even said that if a competitior has a good design ATI and Nvidia will shortly after that begin to buy some of those talented hardware developers.
I expect SIS and Trident lo leave the desktop market in a year or 2 because increasing competition will drive prices so much down that this business is not worth for them.

According to the enthusiast market statement the CEO said that from a revenue/profit perspective this market is not that important.
And that is true. ATI and Nvidia make only very few money in that special market. This market is important from a PR point of view and it helps mid range und low cost products to sell.
If you are not the performance leader this will have an impact on your mid range and low cost parts but not in the 3 to 4 month timeframe.
OEMs are slow. If Nvidia would loose the performance crown for a year i would see a big problem for them concerning market share. If it is 3 to 4 months then its not a big deal.
In that case you just need a paper launch and limited boards on the reviewer side that's it.
The market does not change that fast and even OEMs do not. Well it will have an impact on Nvidias margins but on market share not that much.
Not enough time for ATI to gain profit from that.

Well Xmas season to North Americans usually means...PRIOR to Dec.25th..

Most consumers overextend themselves during the Xmas season (especially if little ones are involved) and January/Febuary are very slow times for retailers.

A simple question here...

Did the NVIDIA CEO specify which Christmas season he was talking about?

:p

--|BRiT|

BRiT said:
A simple question here...
Did the NVIDIA CEO specify which Christmas season he was talking about?

:p:p:p:p
Finally, the puzzle is solved! :D mr Huang wasnt lying after all, and the numbers add up :D
Good one, BRiT

Back