• Cold turkey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't smoke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
I have! Smoked for 10 years, then quit on Zyban for 6 months.. when I stopped the Zyban, I started lighting up again :oops:

Around Feb or so of 2004 I cold turkey quit, and haven't touched a smoke (cept for a drag of one at a club when flirting with a hot guy :oops: ) since!

Oh, and all my friends are smokers :?

I never smoked, i believe this is the easiest way :D
And i never understood why people smoked in the first place.

Smoking is like, blecccchhhhh.

Not only does it fuck up your lungs (heart, stomach, blood vessels etc etc ad nauseam), the smoke itself smells terrible too, makes your teeth yellow, ends up in your hair and clothes, makes your breath smell like an ashtray (way to go Zurich, hitting on hot guys with ashtray breath! :p:p:p), makes the walls of your home yellow (and stinky), and you risk burning to death in a fire-related accident too (since you're idiotic enough to smoke in the first place, it's likely you're big enough an idiot to do it in bed as well...)

I smoked a pack a day for about 3 years from my junior year in high school till halfway through my sophomore year in college. Three buddies and I all quit cold turkey. I've probably smoked two butts and two cigars in the 17 years since. My wife quit with hypnosis.

We're talking about tobacco, right? ;)
:LOL:

I smoked strong hand-rolled cigarettes for nearly 20 years and in that time never once tried to seriously quit. Then, last Christmas Eve, I just stopped and have never smoked a cigarette since. No cutting down, no patches, no gum, no therapy, I just stopped. I decided enough was enough and that was it - nothing was going to change my mind. It was, I guess, just a question of pure will power. The physical cravings were tough, especially over the Xmas and New Year holiday period were I usually drink a lot, but mentally I was strong. A month later I hardly thought about it. I don't think it ever goes away completely, but you can conquer it and live your life without needing nicotine. All you need is resolve (and perhaps a little sugar-free spearmint gum ;) )

I smoke average 4 cigs a day. There might be several days I smoke only one or don't smoke at all.
The last time I quit totally was about a year ago and it lasted about 6 months, didn't use any patches or other, just quitted. It helps cos I don't smoke so much or regularly.

Gnep said:
Where's the "I haven't given up and don't intend to" option??? :)
That's what I felt like about a year ago - but, believe me, once you give up you really do feel better. It's not just physically, but also mentally, as there's always a certain guilt about smoking you have that nags away at you (even if you don't admit it to yourself). Not that I'd badger badger anyone into doing it - it's a decision you have to arrive at by yourself.

Maybe some of you smokers could enlighten me but I've never found the attraction to smoking.

I smoked for probably a month in 8th grade but then stopped because it didn't give any sort of high, tasted bad, and there was really nothing appealing about it. I suppose that while drunk it gives you a few minutes of a buzz but really other than that I don't understand how people get hooked in the first place.

I'm not trying to attack anyone, just looking for a little enlightenment that I couldn't find myself.

My brother used to take a 45 minute dump while smoking marlboroughs and stank up the bathroom for hours.

My mother died from cancer while I was in college after smoking for all of her adult life. (I'll spare you the gory details of that, unless you think it will help you stop smoking)

I never had an attraction, for some reason.

Killer-Kris said:
Maybe some of you smokers could enlighten me but I've never found the attraction to smoking.

I smoked for probably a month in 8th grade but then stopped because it didn't give any sort of high, tasted bad, and there was really nothing appealing about it. I suppose that while drunk it gives you a few minutes of a buzz but really other than that I don't understand how people get hooked in the first place.

I'm not trying to attack anyone, just looking for a little enlightenment that I couldn't find myself.

At first it was my bad guy image. I was quite the long-haired fist fighter in high school. Eventually I became hooked on blowing smoke rings - nervous habit I guess. I guess that's why it was so easy for me to quit. You don't need tobacco to blow smoke rings in college :)

I stopped smoking after my lung operation, despite being a regular 30~40 per day chainer. It's amazing what surgery can do to your willpower...

Well I gave up for close to ten years at one point, then one day I just walked intop a shop and bought a pack of Lambert & Butler and carried on smoking as though I had never stopped.

Weird thing is, apart from the first couple of months, I never even thought about smoking at all even when offered.

As for the attraction of smoking, dunno. To me smoking is just something I do. One benefit for me is that it gets me away from the desk four or five times a day, lets me get on with some solid work.

I used to smoke *a lot* when I was really young (ages 6-12).

I'd go to the store and steal entire cartons of cigerettes, then me and my friends would go smoke them (several packs a piece, per day) while skating (or snakeboarding) and doing a bunch of other shit. After doing all that for 6 years, one day (overnight) when I was 12 I just up and quit that entire life pretty much - the day before I was hanging around with all the same people like normal, doing all the normal shit we usually did (that we shouldn't have been doing) and smoking; then, I never talked to them again, stopped doing everything, stopped smoking. All completely cold turkey. Started (well.. it became a central focus, rather than just a hobby) doing graphics programming, go figure.

Then when I was 18 (6 years later), for some reason it all came full circle, and I'm smoking again, and I work with all those people I used to hang out with.. and the snakeboard is in the mail, on the way back :p

Go figure.

For those that wonder why people smoke bare in mind that nictotine (ounce for ounce) is more addictive than heroin and that tobacco companies lace tobacco with other substances designed to hook the addict. This is before you even get to the pyschological addiction and social reasons people smoke. Tobacco is a very powerful drug.

Diplo said:
For those that wonder why people smoke bare in mind that nictotine (ounce for ounce) is more addictive than heroin and that tobacco companies lace tobacco with other substances designed to hook the addict. This is before you even get to the pyschological addiction and social reasons people smoke. Tobacco is a very powerful drug.

Yeah I knew all that, just you have to get hooked first. And that's the part I don't quite understand.

Though isn't the difference in addictiveness between heroin and nicotine, that heroin hooks you quicker, and that you typically can't quit cold turkey or you run a good chance of dying? Or is that a different drug I'm remembering.

Willpower is the easiest way. When someone starts with patches, or other substitutions, they don't want to quit badly enough. My mom tried quitting with patches a dozen of times.

One day she had enough and _really_ wanted to quit smoking. She didn't have any problem at all quitting without using any nicotine substitutes. She smoked for 30 years and have now been "clean" for about 5 years.

Back