Question about graphics/Gaming industry

Briareus

Newcomer
I've been thinking about switching over to the gaming/graphics industry. I'd be interested in knowing what people think about the work. If anyone would like to give me some insight into what it is like I would appreciate it very much. :)

Just to give you an idea of my background: I graduated a few years back with a degree in CS and Math from Carnegie Mellon. I've worked in the corporate world doing networking, database, internet,... coding since then but I'd like to find something that has more variety and is maybe a little more challenging. :)

Are there any books, classes, articles that you could recommend to give me a taste of what it is like? My technical knowledge is pretty limited ATM, would taking a couple graphics or ?other classes be enough of a start or would I need a Masters and some experience before companies take me seriously.

Also what's the culture like? Is it mostly a startup mentality?

Thanks

Since you already have some experience in the IT industry, that's already a great bonus. The people in the game industry I've talked to say that any such experience, even if it's not in making games, is looked highly upon.

The Baron said:
CMU, eh... :)

heh :) , I think CMU has improved since I graduated. I was in Pittsburgh a few months ago and there were a ton of girls walking around although they seemed younger than when I was in school.

To give you an idea how bad it was there were on 5 girls in my graduating class of around 100.

Thanks Ostsol. :)

Do you work in the industry? I was hoping someone would give me an idea of what it's like. Unfortunately none of my friends from school work with graphics. I'd like to know a little more about what I'm getting into before I do anything rash.

Well, hopefully my reply won't unleash a flood of responses. :eek:

Briareus said:
Thanks Ostsol. :)

Do you work in the industry?
Nope. I've just had the opportunity to talk to a couple people who are/were.

I'm currently finishing off my education and afterwards will probably be spending my time working in the IT field for a couple years, building up my resume and working on game-related projects of my own. Lately I've been slacking off on the latter, though. :?

Really depends on what you want to do in the industry.

Product management/marketing are out. You don't have the business skills/education.

I'm sure you could work on the IT side and build your skillset/career out from there. You could also do the same thing from an operational area like support.

If your coding skills are solid, might be able to get involved in some dev work.

Books, several out there that shed some light on the industry as a whole on amazon. Read up on semi manuf. Generally the reader ratings are fairly accurate. I'd also read up on the game coding, some good books on DX9, OGL etc... You could also look into taking some EE classes if you didn't in undergrad, especially if you want to work with the product.

It helps to have an in/contact if your skillset is fairly common or your industry experience doesn't play into things. One good way is through your school's alumni office. Might be able to find someone that graduated from your school that works at the company you'd like to get into.

If you want to work for a game publisher, one easy way to get in is as a game tester. I know several folks that have moved up to producing titles within a few years. If you have some certifications like PMI, Six Sigma, Scrum, might be able to get in as an Assistant Producer/Project Manager.

There are some job postings on gamasutra.com... head over to the major game publishers websites... and look on the IHVs website. If they looks like a fit, apply. Generally though in the industry, companies don't hire people to develop them, they want folks to be able to come on board and make an immediate contribution.

The two leading graphics IHVs don't have a startup environment (ATI has over 2K people, nVIDIA little under 2K), nor do they have staunch corporate cultures. Pretty good balance between fun, laid back, get your work done environment with enough process to keep everyone moving in the right direction. nVIDIA has a bit more of a cut-throat culture and ATI has more of a team spirit.

Tazdel,

I was thinking about graphics development work. 8) I guess I have some hw to do :D

gamasutra.com looks like a good resource.

Thanks for the response. :)

tazdevl said:
nVIDIA has a bit more of a cut-throat culture

Full agreement from this exNVIDIA employee. In under two years, I saw five good people sacrificed at NVIDIA; they lost their jobs for things they didn't do. This burn rate is far in excess of any other company in my career.

Don't go to work at NVIDIA unless you want to work your ass off for little or no recognition from your coworkers. You'll get lots of ego from the reactions of non-coworkers, but none from within the company, even if you are the god of your given profession. They just don't think that way at NVIDIA.

Not to defend NVidia, but competitive workplaces are sadly common in the high tech-industry. I'm hardly surprised by the burn-rate -- Broadcom reportedly had a high burn-rate, too. Like so many other NASDAQ players, Broadcom compensated employees in stock options and paid salary below industry norm. I haven't talked to anyone there for several years, so maybe it's better now.

I guess the *market* doesn't really reward good work environments. CEOs and investors alike just care about the bottom line. "Employees" are just another replacable commodity resource that can be increased/decreased at will. In fairness, employees leave all the time, and good workplace-atmosphere is no guarantee of loyalty.

asicnewbie said:
I guess the *market* doesn't really reward good work environments. CEOs and investors alike just care about the bottom line. "Employees" are just another replacable commodity resource that can be increased/decreased at will. In fairness, employees leave all the time, and good workplace-atmosphere is no guarantee of loyalty.

Unfortunatley, when companies start treating people as commodoties and show no loyalty to their employees, the employees learn not to have loyalty to the company. Treat your people as disposable commodoties, and that is the way they will act, jumping ship as soon as a job with more money comes along.

Of course employers just use this as validation of their own decisions to treat people badly, and the cycle gets reinforced.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Unfortunatley, when companies start treating people as commodoties and show no loyalty to their employees, the employees learn not to have loyalty to the company. Treat your people as disposable commodoties, and that is the way they will act, jumping ship as soon as a job with more money comes along.

Of course employers just use this as validation of their own decisions to treat people badly, and the cycle gets reinforced.

I couldn't agree more.

Having experienced it recently.

And would you beleive that after more than half of a the people leaving a game developer team (including the lead designer, lead programmer and lead artist), they still beleive "everyone is replaceable"... :rolleyes:

Hyp-X said:
And would you beleive that after more than half of a the people leaving a game developer team (including the lead designer, lead programmer and lead artist), they still beleive "everyone is replaceable"... :rolleyes:

What most managers and companies fail to realise, is that there is a critical mass of people needed in any team. They need to have a minimum level of skills and knowledge to do their job, impart knowledge onto new starters, and diversify their skills amongst the members of the team. Once you lose that critical mass of knowledge, you can't get it back, and that's why you should treat/pay your staff well so that they will have loyalty to the company.

This is why companies that outsource all their skills to cheap workforces in India or China will make short term gains, but in the long term will critically wound their companies. This is especially true of knowledge based companies like software houses.

asicnewbie said:
I'd also say that there's no reason this has to be true and not all companies are behaving this way. Some of them are even doing rather well right now ;)

Back