File won't go away...

What kind of file is this?

Many people have your problem with .avi files, as the Windows explorer preview feature is hogging the file.
Booting into safe mode will not always help.
The DOS Box is your friend.

If you have this problem frequently try disabling the preview feature.
Althornin once said:
FIX FOR AVI FILE 100% CPU USAGE
To correct the misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32"

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails.

Alternatively you can use this which does the same, but is easier for some people.

mr said:
What kind of file is this?

Many people have your problem with .avi files, as the Windows explorer preview feature is hogging the file.
Booting into safe mode will not always help.
The DOS Box is your friend.

If you have this problem frequently try disabling the preview feature.
Althornin once said:
FIX FOR AVI FILE 100% CPU USAGE
To correct the misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32"

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails.

Alternatively you can use this which does the same, but is easier for some people.

It's not the same problem, and even then, that solution doesn't work. not with me.
I think he should just try booting in safe mode, then deleting it.

I was going to suggest deleting the file NTKRNL.EXE too (after rebooting into safe-mode of course ;))...

Nutball, don't mislead members of the public like that! We all know that all he has to do is Try booting into safe mode and deleting it. That's The Truth.

london-boy, your expertise here is astounding. I mean, who could have known that he should try booting into safe mode and deleting the file?

IST said:
london-boy, your expertise here is astounding. I mean, who could have known that he should try booting into safe mode and deleting the file?

Heh, years and years of university, i have 5 degrees, i can speak 8 languages fluently, including ancient aramaic and babylonian. That's the kind of knowledge you need to have to know that you should try booting into safe mode and deleting the file.

You common carbon-based organism, i'm just superior. Get over it and lead your sorry insignificant life knowing that there is a God. Goodbye.

london-boy said:
It's not the same problem, and even then, that solution doesn't work. not with me.
I think he should just try booting in safe mode, then deleting it.
Hhmmm, after rereading the thread and considering every post, I have no other choice as to agree to the obvious:
Try booting into safe mode and deleting it.
:)

I am surprised that no one yet has suggested the obvious recourse of booting into safe-mode and deleting it.

Apart from that: If the file is ‘non-deletable’, it might be because of an illegal character in the filename. In such cases I have found that the file browser in Nero will happily rid you of such files when explorer will not.

I resorted to not-using my PC at the moment for anything else than watching DVDs (Buffy), until the problem explained in my wonderful thread in the Software forum goes away.

digitalwanderer said:
london-boy said:
I resorted to not-using my PC at the moment for anything else than watching DVDs (Buffy)
Which season?

Well i got S2 and 6 last week, did a Buffy-thon last weekend, 18 hours straight, fri night, all saturday and sunday morning. i've finished S6 last night. I mean, i saw them all already ages ago, but it's good to have buffy-thons sometimes.
until the problem explained in my wonderful thread in the Software forum goes away.
You mean this one? Sorry, I didn't see it earlier...off to read now.

Good boy.

london-boy said:
I resorted to not-using my PC at the moment for anything else than watching DVDs (Buffy), until the problem explained in my wonderful thread in the Software forum goes away.

You need to reboot to safe-mode and...

Back