AMD System

mkillio

Regular
I'm building an AMD system for my friend and he wants to stay under $900. He wants an AMD XP 2500, 512mb of RAM, a dvd-r/cd-rw, 80GB SATA HD, PCI Express MOBO, Sound Blaster Sound card, and would you recommend a ATI X300 or X600?

mkillio said:
I'm building an AMD system for my friend and he wants to stay under $900. He wants 512mb of RAM, a dvd-r/cd-rw, 80GB SATA HD, PCI Express MOBO, Sound Blaster Sound card, a mid-high end ATI video card.
Sorry but PCI Express AMD mobos are not yet available - neither are intel PCI Express mobos (though I expect them to be here sooner)...
Other than that, at that price point he's probably looking at a Athlon XP Barton 2500-2800 (unless he's a silent freak, in that case I'd suggest a XP Barton Mobile 1.45V 2600 and a board which can undervolt!), a nforce2 mobo, and any 9800pro 256bit 128MB should fit right in (for silent freaks on a budget I'd suggest the HIS Excalibur version). For the HD, I'm suggesting a Samsung Spinpoint P80 (do they still make so small drives these days :), there might be faster ones but this one is quiet! For high-end setups, WD raptors of course rule. For the ram, some DDR400 should do (I always recommend some brand though, not generic). Most people would suggest 2 256MB sticks for the small (2% or so) performance increase, though I'd suggest 1*512MB for easier upradeability to 1GB. DVD writer? Something like a LG GSA-4082B should do, there are others available at the same price point too. Does that 900$ figure include a monitor? With a decent display it's going to be hard to not exceed that limit I suppose.

mczak
btw anand has some guides for that, 900$ is around the mid-level system.
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=2058&p=9
Suggests only a 9600pro and dvd/cdrw combo and still exceeds 900 USD (with a monitor at least).

If your friend is at all into overclocking he may want to look into the Athlon XP mobile. They can be pushed quite a bit. As for the video card, there are no PCIE mobos atm and there won't be for another couple months (at least for AMD). I would suggest a Radeon 9800 Pro which can be had for around $200 and is a great card.

SO I got my friends computer up and running. The only problem is that I can only get his AXP 2800 up to 1250 Mhz. I'm pretty sure that the FSB is running to slow, which is not allowing me to set the multiplier high enough. I would fix this but I don't know where in the bios to fix this. It's an Asus Nforce 2 MB

Athlon XPs have the multiplier locked (except for the mobiles :) ), so it's the FSB you want to change.
As it was the first time the motherboard run with the cpu it must be using the default fsb (100 or 133Mhz). Just change that to the correct setting which i believe is 166Mhz for that cpu... not sure though.

kmolazz said:
Athlon XPs have the multiplier locked (except for the mobiles :) ), so it's the FSB you want to change.

Wrong.

All nForce2 chipsets unlock the multiplier automatically since their release - that's what made them soooo succesful product.

I've just sold my Abit NF7-S which is far the best OC and featured mobo, I think - my Barton 2500+ was running on 2500MHz with 2.22V on water...

Wrong.

All nForce2 chipsets unlock the multiplier automatically since their release - that's what made them soooo succesful product.

I think the newer CPUs are locked even on an nforce2. (except the mobiles of course!)

T2k said:
kmolazz said:

Wrong.

I've just sold my Abit NF7-S which is far the best OC and featured mobo, I think - my Barton 2500+ was running on 2500MHz with 2.22V on water...
That's just wrong. All CPUs after the AQZEA stepping are locked. Only old bartons or new mobiles can be OCed via multiplier.

mustrum said:
T2k said:
kmolazz said:

Wrong.

That's just wrong. All CPUs after the AQZEA stepping are locked. Only old bartons or new mobiles can be OCed via multiplier.
You can still overclock post-week 39 bartons, but it has some shortcomings. You can turn them into mobile cpus (or even mobile MP if you want...) with bridge painting, then the powernow features which allow changing multiplier on the fly become available. Unfortunately, most bios can't quite handle that, you can change however the multiplier using some windows programs (for instance cpumsr, if you want higher multiplier than stock, you need to do more bridge painting IIRC). Last time I checked those programs just cause a crash on nforce2 systems unfortunately :(. Definitely not so easy as before...

Well at 900$ you can build a decent a64 set up.

a64 3000+ 220$
nforce 3- 250 board 60-150$ (depending on if u want raid or not)

512 megs of ddr 3200 - 70$

sata wd 120 gig is 99$ (see other thread)

9800pro 200$

650$ right there.

Leaves you money for a nice sound card .

Or

athlon xp 2500+ mobile 85$
nforce 2 mobo 50-120$
ddr 3200 - 70$
sata wd 120 gig 99$
9800pro 200$

500$ ish.

THe athlon xp 2500 mobiles are doing 2.5 ghz . Which would be nice. I'd rather go for the athlon 64 3000+ though. They to are doing about 2.5 ghz depending on your ram as you can only lower the multi you can't raise it .

Back