Metroid DS : With AND without stylus

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
Link

Gamekult.com said:
The last edition of the official magazine of Nintendo contains an interview of Shigeru Miyamoto in which one learns that it will be possible to play Metroid Prime: Hunters without the stylus. It should thus be possible to choose its mode of control in the options, what will reassure refractories with the touch screen system

So... The main feature of Metroid DS will not be "forced" to the player...

:? I really don't know what to think about that.
Because if Nintendo does not "force" the use of the "revolutionary" touch screen, why others developers will?
And in the end the "new way to play game" will mean nothing.

oh, damn its primary function. I think it's great. One reason less that could ruin the sensitiv screen with scratches! ;)

Phil said:
oh, damn its primary function. I think it's great. One reason less that could ruin the sensitiv screen with scratches! ;)

Sarcasm right..... that's like "let's not use the right-mouse click too much as to not wear the thing out!" :D

Phil said:

What's the size of the DS's touch screen? If its the same as most PDAs then you can get screen protectors for it. Replace these protectors when u can't put up with the scratches.

Otherwise some 3rd party will produce one for the DS.

In fact I am waiting on a set for my PDA b4 using it. :D

Yay, now Nintendo will be able to sell proprietary Nintendo screen protectors, which will happend to be slightly more expensive than regular ones.... Yay....

london-boy said:
Sarcasm right..... that's like "let's not use the right-mouse click too much as to not wear the thing out!" :D

Actually it clearly wasn't, as I have used handhelds since their beginning from Palm's to WinCE/Psion Handhelds and then onto recent PDAs. After regular usage, avoiding scratching screens is impossible. It only gets worse once you start using a stylus to "shoot" enemies on screen by pinpointing your stylus at the screen. Do it with care and with a bit of luck, the shot won't even be recognized or fired off anywhere but where you actually wanted it to. Sure, some devices are better than others, but all in all, I definately prefer using the traditional input controls and have my screen untouched and clean. That's entirely based on personal preference though and personal experience that I have made since the past several years.

At E3 they've demo'd a Sonic game, in order to make Sonic run, you had to wipe the screen as fast as possible from left<->right, that must be a real touch screen killer ... just watching it, made me feel sick :? (me = PDA owner)

Well obviously it wasn't so "clear". Seen the madness of your argument. So, the main "thing" about DS is the touch screen, what is supposed to "revolutionalise gameplay forever and ever", and u're telling us it's "better not to use it or it will get scratched"?!!?! Madness.

ChryZ said:
At E3 they've demo'd a Sonic game, in order to make Sonic run, you had to wipe the screen as fast as possible from left<->right, that must be a real touch screen killer ... just watching it, made me feel sick :? (me = PDA owner)

Phew, I bet.

Last week I had a screen scratch scare on my new Clie TH55, there was a small gash on the screen, and I was SURE it was a cut, because I could go over it with my stylus.

Man the feeling of having a 400 dollar PDA(I got it for 300 though) with a scratch on it's screen is just a sinking feeling :(

Though, later I took my shirt and rubbed over it.. and it was just GONE. I can't explain it, but I think the scratch was just like something sticky on the screen.

I learned my lesson even though things worked out for the better, buy a screen protector!

My point is, now that apparently developers have the "choice", we'll see how many will bother to "find ways to evovle gameplay". that was the whole point of DS. Nintendo put it there for that reason, thay said. Now DS is looking more and more like a GB reharsh. A real GBA (Another Game Boy)

Sorry for the trolling tone, don't mean to troll, just a bit disappointed.

london-boy said:
Well obviously it wasn't so "clear". Seen the madness of your argument. So, the main "thing" about DS is the touch screen, what is supposed to "revolutionalise gameplay forever and ever", and u're telling us it's "better not to use it or it will get scratched"?!!?! Madness.

Heh! ;) Can't answer that one mate... but... go ask Nintendo, maybe they can! :D

Seriously though, I never called it a revolution nor do I think it is one. It's certainly innovative, but that doesn't mean it's good or that people need to like it.

Actually, why isn't glass used for touch-screen displays? Too expensive? Screens would definately live longer and wouldn't be prone to scratches that easily. :?

london-boy said:
My point is, now that apparently developers have the "choice", we'll see how many will bother to "find ways to evovle gameplay". that was the whole point of DS. Nintendo put it there for that reason, thay said. Now DS is looking more and more like a GB reharsh. A real GBA (Another Game Boy)

Sorry for the trolling tone, don't mean to troll, just a bit disappointed.

You're not trolling, you're making a valid point... That's what i think too, BTW

Watching the wiping was fearsome, but I still got a lot faith in Nintendo's hardware design capabilities, if they want the touch screen to be used ... they'll find a way and even if it is just a protective layer. It wouldn't be in their best interest to be bleed to death by warranty handled replacement costs. It'll be interesting to see, how they are going to stop Joe Six Pack Jr from driving the stylus through the screen once in a while ;)

london-boy said:

DS's touch screen input is only one of the two features. The other is the extra display. Some value the clarity and scratch freeness of the second screen than it as an alternative input mechanism.

When and if you get a DS and have the screen scratched, and then maybe you might get the point of what the others are expressing.

BTW, the right mouse button example was a bad one IMO.

Phil said:
Actually, why isn't glass used for touch-screen displays? Too expensive? Screens would definately live longer and wouldn't be prone to scratches that easily. :?

I'd say the technology is different between glass touch screen monitors compared to PDA like screens. PDA screens are pressure sensitive, where as for the glass monitors detection is by sensors on the edges.

Their might be a hybrid, semi glass like where the screen surface still bend slightly, but I am not aware of such tech.

Jov said:
DS's touch screen input is only one of the two features. The other is the extra display. Some value the clarity and scratch freeness of the second screen than it as an alternative input mechanism.

No, the first screen is the first screen. The feature of DS is the touch screen. What was supposed to revolutionalise gameplay. Nintendo are going down the "revolution" road, so they better at least keep their word on some things.

When and if you get a DS and have the screen scratched, and then maybe you might get the point of what the others are expressing.

The right mouse button example was a bad one IMO

When and if you get a mouse whose right button stops clicking, then maybe u'll understand what i am expressing.
The feature is there. It's supposed to be used! How can anyone just say "better not use it too much or it will wear out!"...
Nintendo's first word is that the second screen was going to be used on every game because they were going to force devs to use it so they could come up with new ideas on how to improve gameplay.
Now that devs have the choice not to use it as a touch screen, it will be relegated to being the "map screen" in A LOT of the games out there.
That was always my worry, and now Nintendo just made it true.

london-boy said:
Jov said:

No, the first screen is the first screen. The feature of DS is the touch screen. What was supposed to revolutionalise gameplay. Nintendo are going down the "revolution" road, so they better at least keep their word on some things.

:?: ??

When did I or anyone debated the 1st screen isn't the 1st screen??

Having a 2nd screen is not a feature? Guess it should be T[ouch]S instead of DS. :rolleyes:

london-boy said:

The right mouse button example was a bad one IMO

When and if you get a mouse whose right button stops clicking, then maybe u'll understand what i am expressing.

I use a 3 button/wheel mouse and they're in the bin before any signs of unclikiness. :D Thus I don't see your point, other then a weak one.

Now would you bin the DS when the touch screen is all scratched like crap and not responsive like I'd with a mouse?? Probably not given you still keep that faulty 1/2 button mouse. :)

london-boy said:
The feature is there. It's supposed to be used! How can anyone just say "better not use it too much or it will wear out!"...
Nintendo's first word is that the second screen was going to be used on every game because they were going to force devs to use it so they could come up with new ideas on how to improve gameplay.
Now that devs have the choice not to use it as a touch screen, it will be relegated to being the "map screen" in A LOT of the games out there.
That was always my worry, and now Nintendo just made it true.

The feature is there, why not just allow the dev to decide what they want to do with it? The verdict is still out as to how well it suits certain games.

No one said hell you can't or shouldn't use it. Ppl are just pleased there is an alternative. This is similar to games allowing different button configs other then the default. Or USB control pad compared to mouse+keyboard for FPS (now don't start giving examples of not using the keyboard!!). :LOL:

"It's easier to allow developers to innovate than to force it down their throats."

- Anonymous

Paul said:
Though, later I took my shirt and rubbed over it.. and it was just GONE.
:oops: Don't ever do that again if you really care about the screen!
How can you be sure that a hard speck, or grain of sand isn't somewhere in the fabric? And cotton or whatever your shirt is made of isn’t exactly the gentlest thing to rub a screen with. Buy one of those special cloths for polishing lenses, that will do the job.

Back