Nintendo Backing GameCube For The Long Haul?

While I can't get to the article, I don't have a good feeling about developer support in future. 3rd party developers arn't exaclty throwing them selves at the cube and with all the big dollars now in Sony and MS court I don't really expect much 3rd party support past this year thank to Xbox 2 and PS3.

While I'm sure that first party support will hang around (that's a given), it's just the third party that will be the big concern.

For those that can't reach the site.

Nintendo Backing GameCube For The Long Haul?
By David Smith
6/11/2004

In an interesting coda to the news of Nintendo's next game console from the company's management policy meeting earlier this week, the Yomiuri Shimbun today passes on another comment on the new hardware from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata. Iwata evidently mentioned that Nintendo's next console, presently code-named "Revolution," might be sold alongside its current GameCube hardware for some time after its release.

The "Revolution" whatever-it-is will debut at next year's E3 exhibition, suggesting that it could hit the market some time in 2006, five years after the release of the GameCube in 2001. That's about the same amount of time as earlier consoles have received as the primary focus of their manufacturer's attention, but the continued success of the PlayStation -- which kept moving hardware and software well after the PlayStation 2's debut -- likely has Nintendo looking to follow in its footsteps with the GameCube, which has sold quite well at its $99 price point.

Sony has already stated that it hopes to keep moving PlayStation 2s until the system is at least 10 years old.

A more interesting question than whether Nintendo will keep selling the GameCube would be whether Nintendo will continue supporting it with software after it debuts its next-generation console. An answer, of course, won't be forthcoming for a few years.

Jabjabs said:
While I can't get to the article, I don't have a good feeling about developer support in future. 3rd party developers arn't exaclty throwing them selves at the cube and with all the big dollars now in Sony and MS court I don't really expect much 3rd party support past this year thank to Xbox 2 and PS3.

While I'm sure that first party support will hang around (that's a given), it's just the third party that will be the big concern.

I can see Nintendo do with the Cube as Sony with the PSOne. Some smaller dev houses might want to support it if there are enuff of them out there by the time Revolution is out.

I wouldn't expect it any other way. The only one I might see encouraging a shift away is Microsoft, as they'd want to keep pushing the focus forward, and especially move it to an endeavor that may be more profitable for them. ;)

Evil_Cloud said:
If you look at future titles on GameCube, it's almost certain Nintendo will sell loads and loads more. ;)

Mind listing some? Nothing much comes to mind at the moment besides Viewtiful Joe 2 and RE4 which are both from Capcom... I'll have to visit gamespot to see what's coming.

Jov said:
Evil_Cloud said:
If you look at future titles on GameCube, it's almost certain Nintendo will sell loads and loads more. ;)

Mind listing some? Nothing much comes to mind at the moment besides Viewtiful Joe 2 and RE4 which are both from Capcom... I'll have to visit gamespot to see what's coming.

I think Evil_Cloud referred to the more distant future, but still here's what has been announced so far:

TBD - The Legend of Zelda
2005 - Advance Wars: Under Fire
2005 - Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
2005 - Fire Emblem
2005 - Mario Tennis
2005 - Odama
Q4, 2004 - Geist
11/29/04 - Star Fox
11/15/04 - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
10/11/04 - Paper Mario 2
09/27/04 - Donkey Konga
08/30/04 - Pikmin 2

The Legend of Zelda/Resident Evil 4/New Mario/

Pretty sure these three will boost GameCube sales rocket high on their own, on the condition that they are of course excellent titles. ;)

Evil_Cloud said:
New Mario

IIRC Miyamoto said that he didn't know if this new Mario (a.k.a Mario "128") will be for GC or... DS, that means that the game is maybe far from completion.

OTOH you right about the Zelda and RE4 being killer apps for the GC!

They just need some more time to work on that new Mario title I guess... Unlike Mario Sunshine, they had to start from scratch (they used levels from Mario 64DD in Mario Sunshine, except from the water pack levels :)).

And I have a hunch that the 'revolutionary' gameplay idea's of this new Mario title will have something to do with the new GameCube camera thingie.

If Nintendo next console is backward compatible, then it's not really a big problem for Nintendo to support the GC isn't it? It would be like PS1>PS2 transition, they wouldn't have to stop supporting the GC altogether just to focus resource on the next console.

RaolinDarksbane said:
If Nintendo next console is backward compatible, then it's not really a big problem for Nintendo to support the GC isn't it? It would be like PS1>PS2 transition, they wouldn't have to stop supporting the GC altogether just to focus resource on the next console.

Can anyone provide an update on the backward compatibility feature? I don't remember the official words from Nintendo.

It should be much easier compared to other consoles given both the CPU and GPU are from the same vendors.

Jov said:
Can anyone provide an update on the backward compatibility feature? I don't remember the official words from Nintendo.
Nothing official. Just the same assuption as you: "Should be easy enough to be likely."

I think with gamecube 2 and gb 2 there will be alot of tittles still being made for the the gamecube. After all thats 3 systems the games will work on :)

jvd said:
I think with gamecube 2 and gb 2 there will be alot of tittles still being made for the the gamecube. After all thats 3 systems the games will work on :)

Three compatible systems, one very cheap console, two moderately priced consoles (one console/one handheld), would indeed be a great combination for sales. :)

Back