Firefox 0.9

Saem

Veteran
So, I've finally made the jump, from plain ol' Mozilla. It's pretty nice and loads up faster, which makes me happy, it's searching feature isn't as nice as the googlebar plugin, just little touches in that department.

It'd be nice if the options allowed for more tweak-ability from get go rather than hide it from you, but the idea is to simplify the interface. Speaking of interface it's small and everything is where it should be, except the theme is kinda sucky.

It's been said elsewhere, but it's worth repeating, it's not complete and they should have just left it alone. The icons convey enough meaning but the reload/refresh icon isn't that great as the icon takes too long to figure out on a cursory glance and thus it's not doing its job all that well.

Also, since the search text field is stuck in the corner it ends up being fairly small, even with a reasonable size window. Personally, one text field for addresses and searches would be better, with both a keyboard shortcut for search and site search and a pull down button/menu. Either that or they should have the address bar and search field roughly the same size, maybe the search field should be bigger. The URLs most folks type are likely very short or are simply bookmarked. Most of the time I have many words in my google searches.

I also went nuts and themed the crap out of my desktop, no more start bar, I use stardocks objectdock. Fairly cool but could use a bit of work here and there. Especially in the bugs department.

Saem said:
the reload/refresh icon isn't that great as the icon takes too long to figure out on a cursory glance and thus it's not doing its job all that well.

I honestly thought everybody uses F5 already.

Actually, most likely not. Ctrl-R and moust gestures are more likely. The point is I'm looking at it from a usability prespective.

Saem said:
Also, since the search text field is stuck in the corner it ends up being fairly small, even with a reasonable size window. Personally, one text field for addresses and searches would be better, with both a keyboard shortcut for search and site search and a pull down button/menu. Either that or they should have the address bar and search field roughly the same size, maybe the search field should be bigger. The URLs most folks type are likely very short or are simply bookmarked. Most of the time I have many words in my google searches.
right click --> customize
drag the search thingie wherever you want......
or just isntall the googlebar extension.

I like it all in one line, thanks for the way to change things about, though.

BTW, firefox started crashing during startup, I blew it away.

Things that I forgot:

You can search in sites by typing right away. And the shortcuts are "ctrl+l" for the url bar and "ctrl+k" for the search bar.

Here are extensions which are compatible with Firefox 0.9 (look for the Firefox icon with the green spot) and here are themes for Firefox 0.9.

Hrm... ctrl-i. I just used alt-d and then tabbed to go to the search. I use the type and search link feature all the time, and hit backslash when I wanna search text.

I downloaded Firefox last night, since Explorer has security flaws (I can't believe it :LOL: ). I have to say I am really impressed with Firefox. Very nice and user friendly. Thank you for posting this thread, otherwise I would've never heard of it.

Thank you all again!!!

Open a new tab

about:config

all the options you will ever need.

BTW, since this says 0.9 I should let you know 0.9a came out shortly afterwards to correct a security flaw.

If Mozillazine ever comes back to us, you should be able to download optimised version for your processor, a wonderful thing for us Windows users :) (actually, look around and you'll find some, but Mozillazine was the home of most).

Quitch said:
Open a new tab

about:config

all the options you will ever need.

BTW, since this says 0.9 I should let you know 0.9a came out shortly afterwards to correct a security flaw.

If Mozillazine ever comes back to us, you should be able to download optimised version for your processor, a wonderful thing for us Windows users :) (actually, look around and you'll find some, but Mozillazine was the home of most).
0.9.1 is out...

It still doesn't have what I want. I wanna be able to hit ctrl+enter to open urls in new tabs and so on. The option doesn't seem to be in there.

Back