New mobile phone.. looking for suggestions

PARANOiA

Veteran
Hey guys..

I'm looking at picking up a new mobile phone. My 3310 is getting old and keeps switching off, so I thought, why not upgrade? (I'm sure I'm the only tech-guy to ever have that thought :))

I'm looking for something smaller, but other than that I'm not too fussed. I'm not necessarily interested in features I wouldn't use, but am willing to hear suggestions. I also don't want to spend a whole heap! So what do you recommend?

the new ones with big screens and internet access are pretty cool, like the Sony T800 (or 900, cant remember)... It does cost a lot though, but if i were to upgrade now, i'd go for one of those.....

The SonyEricsson P900 maybe isn't much smaller than your current phone. I have the 3310, and my bf has the P900, and I think they are about the same size, P900 is maybe a little wider, and the 3310 is a little longer.
The P900 is expensive, but has every feature one could ask for a phone/pda.

I'm interested in the SE K700 or S700, I don't think if they are available yet, nor what will be the price.

sytaylor said:
I've fallen for the Nokia 6820, but for a mid range phone I don't think you can beat the 7250i.

The 7250i is nice for the price.. though I was leaning less Nokia. I can pick this up for $AU398, which is pretty decent :) (A new game is roughly $100)

Nice suggestions guys. The P900 is about $AU1.3k :p so it's a little out of my price range.

What are the nice 'mid range' Sony/Motorolla/etc etc phones too?

Cheers :)

About 6mo ago I bought a SE T610 for -$100 from amazon, and a Palm Tungsten T3 for $330, so total of $230. Great combination, and with t-mobile and free internet access it's hard to beat for $40/mo. :)

P.S. They both do bluetooth, so internet access on the T3 is wireless, and I can sync both with my computer. :)

Nite_Hawk

Nokia 6230 has everything I need. It has radio, mp3-player (MMC-card), bluetooth, EDGE, etc. And it is still small enough.

PARANOiA said:
sytaylor said:
I've fallen for the Nokia 6820, but for a mid range phone I don't think you can beat the 7250i.

The 7250i is nice for the price.. though I was leaning less Nokia. I can pick this up for $AU398, which is pretty decent :) (A new game is roughly $100)

Nice suggestions guys. The P900 is about $AU1.3k :p so it's a little out of my price range.

What are the nice 'mid range' Sony/Motorolla/etc etc phones too?

Cheers :)

well, first you need to know what phones will work on the plan you're on and where you live. who is your carrier and where do you live?

[quote="Sage"well, first you need to know what phones will work on the plan you're on and where you live. who is your carrier and where do you live?[/quote]

I'm in Australia, and with Optus... aren't phones pretty much plug in and go these days?

PARANOiA said:
I'm in Australia, and with Optus... aren't phones pretty much plug in and go these days?

hehe, no they are not. for instance, if you, like most people around here, are on a TDMA plan and then want to upgrade to a GSM phone then you're going to have a little problem. First off, depending on the carrier (don't know Optimus, I've only sold Sprint, Cingular, and T-Mobile) you may have to signa new contract. That implies that your old one is up and you can do that without paying a huge fine. Secondly, you're going to have hope that the GSM phone is going to be able to get service where you are. Around here, if you go 15 miles east or west of the N-S interstate then you loose the signal. But, there's a little problem- Cingular phased out the TDMA plan and now the only plans with TDMA coverage are the GAIT plans (both TDMA and GSM) which are not only more expensive, but also there are only two GAIT phones you can choose from.

okay, being tha the 3310 is a very new phone I wasn't familiar with it. I thought it was an older model, so I did a search. Aparently it's a GSM phone, which means you'll need to be looking at other GSM phones. Luckily, that's what the majority of newer phones are.

Back