Oh dear... Doom3 movie...

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Doom 3 Gets Universal ApprovalFrom Warner Brothers to Universal Pictures, Id's dark FPS is still on.

June 04, 2004 - As the videogame industry grows more financially powerful and the medium becomes increasingly more mainstream executives from Hollywood have accordingly grown warmer towards what was considered a geeky, kiddy pastime.

Case in point is the current status of Doom 3, the movie options of which were potentially in the hands of Warner Brothers as of last September, but now belong to Universal Pictures, according to Variety.

Funnily enough, the Doom series has always been extremely sparse in story, which might work out as a benefit for scriptwriter Dave Callaham, giving him more freedom and creativity to explain why the forces of hell have been once again unleashed upon a planetary military base (this time on Mars).

Did secret corporate experiments cause the dimensional rifts to open? We suppose it won't matter too much when the blood starts to spill. For more on Games-to-Film check FilmForce's massive gallery of articles on the subject. For more on Doom 3, check the Xbox and PC sites.
-- Douglass C. Perry

Why.... WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

Maybe when they try a comedy or a romantic love story... But I don't see an intense and interactive experience like Doom 3 being translated to the white screen correctly. :LOL:

It will be awful, i know it. Name one good movie that was based on a game, or for that matter name one good game that was based on a movie besides City Cobra on the C64 :LOL: ;)

I didn't think Resident Evil was too awfully terrible. Sure it could have been better, but so could alot of things.

That said, I remember way back in 1996 or so some company bought the movie rights to the ORIGINAL Doom. There were even rumors that "Ze Governator" was going to play the central role. Nothing ever came out of that though, and I kind of doubt anything will come of this.

london-boy said:
I think we do need another Mars-based alien-based videogame-based horror movie.

Wouldn't it be a shocker if it actually turned out to be a good film, though! :oops:

I expect they'll do the usual and get a finite number of monkeys using a finite number of typewriters to do the screenplay/storyline.

Mariner said:
london-boy said:
I think we do need another Mars-based alien-based videogame-based horror movie.

Wouldn't it be a shocker if it actually turned out to be a good film, though! :oops:

I expect they'll do the usual and get a finite number of monkeys using a finite number of typewriters to do the screenplay/storyline.

"Universal recruiting screenwriters for new project"

Apply within, and your script could be the next summer blockbuster! No writing skills needed! No previous experience needed! No need for big words, and sentences need to be maximum 4 words long! English not required as first language!

I think you could make a great Doom movie, but it would have to be very dark, very atmospheric and it certainly wouldn't appeal to everyone. A soldier fighting to keep his sanity as he fights hell and sees all manner of horrific thngs - all for the sake of an increasingly distant earth. Something like that.

Or you can target the film at everyone and make a right turd.

I'd have though Halo was ripe for a movie translation, if any fps was.

function said:
I'd have though Halo was ripe for a movie translation, if any fps was.

I think Halo would make a better movie than Doom, as it actually has a storyline and objectives, not just a series of scenes to fight through. I suspect a Halo movie might run into some legal problems due to it's superficial similarity to the Ringworld books. Bung Larry Niven some dollars, and it'd be okay.

Half Life 1/2 would probably make a good movie.

the original Doom has a story line, no one just bothered read it thru.

(if you ask where, just download the last shareware version of it and check the read me. The first screenshots ever released fron Doom showed alternative ending to game, which was IMO better and bring the game closer the story, but most likely they changed it because that one would killed the sequels and additional episodes.)

and original Doom movie rights are also at Universal if I recal right.

It seems silly to start right at 3, they should be starting with the original Doom, which has a decent action story behind it. With the right guys behind it, it could be nice.
thop said:
It will be awful, i know it. Name one good movie that was based on a game, or for that matter name one good game that was based on a movie besides City Cobra on the C64 :LOL: ;)
Irrelevant, but I could name a few of the latter. :)

As long as it's set on a beach (on Mars, whatever...) and stars Kate Beckinsale, I'm not fussed.

The only way I could see a Doom movie working is if it was as moody/creepy as Alien but with a lot of different monsters lurking about.

as long as its better than the new tomb raider movie i'm happy.

it will beat all console movies too

Back