The first (CGI) primetime series for a major network

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
This fall "Father of the Pride" is going to air. I did think CGI was cost effective enough to be aired weekly on TV. Even in the following article is states "Father of the Pride" as the most expensive animated show ever made. Another milestone for CGI it seems.

What Is It?: "Father of the Pride" is a new family comedy series that centers on a pride of white lions that perform in the world-famous Las Vegas act of Siegfried & Roy that will debut in the fall of 2004. It is the first computer-generated-imaging (CGI) primetime series for a major broadcast network.

Who's In The Cast?: John Goodman (“Roseanne,â€) Orlando Jones (“Magnolia,â€) Emmy winner Carl Reiner (“The Dick Van Dyke Showâ€) and Cheryl Hines (“Curb Your Enthusiasmâ€) star in "Father of the Pride."
Goodman will play Larry, a hard-working white lion in the revue while Hines will portray his wife Kate, a white lioness. Reiner will be Sarmoti, another white lion who is Kate’s father, who clashes with Larry on every subject imaginable. Jones’ character is Snack, a mischievous gopher and Larry’s best friend.

Siegfried and Roy? Really?: CGI versions of Siegfried & Roy will also be featured in the series. The popular duo’s current Las Vegas production is the longest-running and most-famous act on or near the Strip, and each show has sold out during an 11-year run. The world-renowned spectacle is filled with elaborate sets, costumes, eye-popping illusions and a cast of live exotic animals.

Who Created It?: NBC and DreamWorks Television.

What's The Big Deal?: Goodman, Jones, Reiner and Hines will lend their talents to the half-hour series that will incorporate much of the cheeky, edgy and ironic humor that proved so popular in the DreamWorks smash hit “Shrek.†Plus, it's the most expensive animated show ever made.

http://animatedtv.about.com/cs/news/p/fatherpride.htm

Interesting that Mainframe Entertainment's work doesn't seem to count -- especially since they've been doing it for around ten years already.

yeah...what about...Reboot, Beast Wars, Starship Troopers........................

jjayb said:
None of them are "Prime Time" shows on major networks.
Are you trying to imply that me favorite channel "Nickelodeon" is somehow not major or that 7-9pm on a Friday night ain't primetime? :|

digitalwanderer said:
jjayb said:
None of them are "Prime Time" shows on major networks.
Are you trying to imply that me favorite channel "Nickelodeon" is somehow not major or that 7-9pm on a Friday night ain't primetime? :|
Well, they did specify broadcast network.

But Jimmy Neutron is a lot of fun. My daughter and I watch it any time mom isn't around to give us "that look". :)

VtC said:
But Jimmy Neutron is a lot of fun. My daughter and I watch it any time mom isn't around to give us "that look". :)
Don't forget, they're having new episodes every day this week during "NickPick LIVE!" at 5:30. (Chicago time, whatever timezone that is)

I can do a mean Carl impression, as well as a pretty good Sheen and Godard. :D

I wonder if they'll have the episode "The one where Daddie ripped the head off the boss" :?: :devilish:

CGI has been used in television shows since the early to mid 1990s.

yes it is lower budget than film CGI. we are moving toward realtime visuals (2005-2006 timeframe) that rival or surpass the complexity of old CGI television shows.

Sod CGI for a TV series, done all the time now.

Hows about 2 different TV series based on the capabilities of a single game, running in realtime during filming of at least the first series?
Rome:Total War is doing it.

digitalwanderer said:
T2k said:
I guess none of these really sitcom...
Jimmy Neutron is, and it's also pretty slickly done.

Maybe they don't consider Jimmy Neutron because its was not on NBC, ABC or CBS networks. Plus Dreamworks didn't do it and it would aid there marketting to stated that it is just another.

Jimmy Newtron was initially done by a couple in there house using Lightwave 3d by NewTek.

digitalwanderer said:
hstewarth said:
Maybe they don't consider Jimmy Neutron because its was not on NBC, ABC or CBS networks.
Jimmy Neutron is on CBS on Saturday mornings during CBS's Nick run. ;)

Oops I guess it was just pure marking reason.. then.. I was thinking it was only on Nick. I don't watch much normal TV except for Star Trek Enterprise which is on UPN.

I got kids and they like Nickelodeon. I know Nick up, down, left, right, backwards, forwards, and from the middle outward to either end. 8)

I just found out "The Wiggles" are coming in August to the Rosemount Theatre which is right by me and I'm debating on taking the kids or not.

Back