Trilinear vs Trylinear vs Brilinear analysis

Ruined

Regular
ixbt put up a nice analysis:

http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-rx800-3.html

Their conclusions:

"We can draw the following intermediate conclusions basing on the statements above: (a) the percentage ratio of areas in which ATI and NVIDIA use only bilinear filtering during "optimisation" is practically the same;

using optimised trilinear filtering brings about a significant increase in filtering speed;

both manufacturers get approximately the same gain from using optimised trilinear filtering;

ATI images will sometimes be sharper than those of NVIDIA, but in the case of a moving camera, ATI images are more likely to feature moire and dithering that result from under-filtering;

NVIDIA enables the user to enable/disable optimisation on current drivers for NV40;

ATI doesn't provide this opportunity: the driver itself decides about optimisation enabling/disabling. For some texture classes, the current driver version never uses optimisation; for others, the driver enables optimisation when it thinks that less detalised MIP levels are minimised copies of the previous ones. "

Ruined said:
ATI images are more likely to feature moire and dithering that result from under-filtering;

What I want to know is is there any instance where this is visible at the moment? (As I mentioned in my other thread - there are loads of people with RV360s - is anyone able to tell me a game where this kind of moire or dithering is visible?)

kihon said:
Ruined said:
ATI images are more likely to feature moire and dithering that result from under-filtering;

What I want to know is is there any instance where this is visible at the moment? (As I mentioned in my other thread - there are loads of people with RV360s - is anyone able to tell me a game where this kind of moire or dithering is visible?)

I don't think people will notice it unless you point out where the problem is, plus give people a reference for what it's "supposed" to look like, as is the case with other minor visual anomolies.

What on God's green earth is "trylinear" again? Does anyone care to write a new 3D glossary for ackward implementations? :oops:

kihon said:
Ruined said:

Try EVE. That's very good for showing up all sorts of filtering nasties.

kihon said:
Ruined said:

Just go buy the card then tell us :rolleyes:

karlotta said:
kihon said:
Ruined said:

Just go buy the card then tell us :rolleyes:

If I was made of money - sure - but in the mean time there is a large number of people (including people who visit here) who already HAVE the card, which is why I was asking.

Ailuros said:
What on God's green earth is "trylinear" again? Does anyone care to write a new 3D glossary for ackward implementations? :oops:

ATI fanboys needed a new word to make it sound better than Nvidia 'brilinear' :LOL:

pino said:
Ailuros said:

ATI fanboys needed a new word to make it sound better than Nvidia 'brilinear' :LOL:

O ya how could an ATi fan forget...
They look so close to each other.. :rolleyes:

jvd said:
Why is this posted here ? Did you miss the 58 page thread that deals with this issue ?

A) This post shows an analysis between ATI's opimizations, Nvidia's optimizations, and full trilinear - it's not just about "ATI is cheating in filtering." It deals less with ATI cheating and more with how aggressive their optimization is compared to Nvidia's similar optimization when its enabled, and how the two of them compare to full trilinear.

B) Last time I posted in that thread I was told not to because it was getting too long and there were several posts about "not feeding the monster thread."

pino said:
Well, Hanners is the original ATi fanperson. That's obviously why B3D took him on. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Big Bertha EA said:
*Sigh*...Some people just have WAY too much time on their hands....
Yeah, but you loves us anyways. ;)

Not referring to people like yourself Dig...I am referring to hardware sites who are using a microscope to find anything they can to create controversy and/or hits for their websites which really have little to no relevance to the average gamer and in most cases the hardcore gamer. At the end of the day, if I see an optimization that is so obvious as to affect the rendering quality of a game or it's intended output while in motion, THEN and ONLY THEN will I consider witch hunts like this one to be of measurable value to consumers. If such a case did exist, then I would jump on the discussion and try to find a solution or reason for such "optimization".

So far, I have not seen anything to convince me that these "investigations" are worthwhile or meaningful and it is getting old and extremely redundant....

digitalwanderer said:
Let 'em look, encourage investigation; it doesn't necessarily mean you agree with the results. ;)

Agreed but the reposting of old links in new threads does not constitute investigation. It doesn't need 100 threads.

I think a lot of people still want to know whether the 6800's optimized path has close to the same image quality the x800's optimized path.

If so, like the article suggests, sites should compare the performance ATI's and Nvidia's optimized paths and not use the full trilinear when making conclusions about which is faster. Nvidia shouldn't be penalized just because the exposed true trilinear filtering in their product.

Back