Misc Gaming Thread

So is it completely different from other SH games?? Are we still in Silent Hill city?? Brookeheaven hosp etc?

Deepak said:
So is it completely different from other SH games?? Are we still in Silent Hill city?? Brookeheaven hosp etc?

Hehehe Silent Hill City.. Like "Downtown Silent Hill" :LOL: Sorry i thought it sounded funny...

The game is set in a room. In reality. Or IS IT reality...? And the "less than real" reality is set in Silent Hill. Or is it really the non-reality? ;)

When is it coming out anyway? In the UK i mean....

Deepak said:

Very different and you will not go to the familiar places.

BTW, the date from Konami Europe is October, but July/9 from amazon.co.uk and hmv.co.uk, and July/12 from cd-wow.com.

maskrider said:
BTW, the date from Konami Europe is October, but July/9 from amazon.co.uk and hmv.co.uk, and July/12 from cd-wow.com.

AFAIR Konami-Europe says July (in France). :D

Vysez said:
maskrider said:

AFAIR Konami-Europe says July (in France). :D

But the UK Konami-Euope says October, I hop it is July as I had pre-ordered the X-BOX and PS2 versions already.

I'll get it on PC, any news on that? Thinking of playing SH4 at 480i when i can play it at full blast on my 5900U is just too much for my brain, cant compute...

london-boy said:
I'll get it on PC, any news on that? Thinking of playing SH4 at 480i when i can play it at full blast on my 5900U is just too much for my brain, cant compute...
Then this will scramble your brain completely - I actually found SH3 PC version to look much nicer on TV-out then monitor.
Partly the fault goes to the fact that this is a port of a game whose art was optimized for NTSC/PAL colorspace, and it shows.
The other thing is that my 9700 could only run it acceptable at 1024x1024. On monitor this means high-res, but no AA, while on TV you get lower res but significant amount of supersampling - the game actually starts looking like animated art rather then realtime CG...

Anyway, I suppose the best of both worlds would be if I had a HDTV handy, and a card fast enough to make 2048x2048 playable... :p Doubt I'll have either by the time SH4 is out for PC though.

Fafalada said:
london-boy said:
Then this will scramble your brain completely - I actually found SH3 PC version to look much nicer on TV-out then monitor.
Partly the fault goes to the fact that this is a port of a game whose art was optimized for NTSC/PAL colorspace, and it shows.
The other thing is that my 9700 could only run it acceptable at 1024x1024. On monitor this means high-res, but no AA, while on TV you get lower res but significant amount of supersampling - the game actually starts looking like animated art rather then realtime CG...

Anyway, I suppose the best of both worlds would be if I had a HDTV handy, and a card fast enough to make 2048x2048 playable... :p Doubt I'll have either by the time SH4 is out for PC though.

I can always run it at 640x480 with 8xAA instead of 1024x768 without AA ;)

I've started playing through PsiOps, and it's a good laugh. The crazy physics are quite impressive for a console game. :LOL:

london-boy said:
I can always run it at 640x480 with 8xAA instead of 1024x768 without AA
Not in SH3 PC you can't - the standard AA modes don't work with it.
What AA you can get is from supersampling if you run renderbuffer higher then your screen (ie. default was 512x512 - also used by PS2 version, highest supported was 2048x2048).
R9700 would run comparable to PS2 at 1024x1024, anything higher was not playable for me, so best AA I could hope for was roughly 4xsupersample. :p

I don't know if SH4 will follow the same suit though.

And anyway, as I said colors are degraded on monitor, so at the very least I want higher res to make it worthwhile.

Fafalada said:
london-boy said:
I can always run it at 640x480 with 8xAA instead of 1024x768 without AA
Not in SH3 PC you can't - the standard AA modes don't work with it.
What AA you can get is from supersampling if you run renderbuffer higher then your screen (ie. default was 512x512 - also used by PS2 version, highest supported was 2048x2048).
R9700 would run comparable to PS2 at 1024x1024, anything higher was not playable for me, so best AA I could hope for was roughly 4xsupersample. :p

I don't know if SH4 will follow the same suit though.

And anyway, as I said colors are degraded on monitor, so at the very least I want higher res to make it worthwhile.

Well, i'd be playing PS2 SH4 on the same screen i use for my PC..... sooooo......

I think I'll just play SH4 on my PS2.
It just feels more "right" to play it (at least it did with SH3) on PS2 than on PC.

thop said:
You can set the japanese SH4 to english language.

Then what will be the difference between it and English vers? But I may get it if it is true. I can't wait.

rabidrabbit said:
I think I'll just play SH4 on my PS2.
It just feels more "right" to play it (at least it did with SH3) on PS2 than on PC.

I know, and i'll miss the controler. but it's gonna be cheaper on PC, and i feel i need to make the most of my new PC. Farcry's getting boring...

Well uhmm, I was just arguing what display the game looked best on (any version).
I'll probably try both versions of SH4 too anyhow :p

Fafalada said:
Well uhmm, I was just arguing what display the game looked best on (any version).
I'll probably try both versions of SH4 too anyhow :p

I know! And since in the end i need to choose between a 480i that gets filtered very badly and a higher res, with the possibility of AA, on the same display, i guess u can see where i'm coming from, Faffy... ;)

And SH is a slow game which i don't think will suffer too much from the lack of a controller. I'll still miss it though...

Yeah I can see where you come from on display thing. Anyway after seeing PC version near perfect look on TV, I was pretty much won over too, so I may as well hold off on PS2 SH4.

And SH is a slow game which i don't think will suffer too much from the lack of a controller. I'll still miss it though...
Although speaking of this, why not get one of these?
http://www.jandaman.com/thestore/prods/psxusb5.html
Playing SilentHill game with mouse and KB feels like you're violating the game in a way :p
Or you could always go for one of those DS clones for PC. I dunno if they're any good though, I never actually tried using one.

Back