Are you using Serial Ata?

Are you using Serial Ata?

• Total voters

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
Sata was the next big thing in hard drives about a year ago, lots of hardware sites were doing reviews and stuff... Nowadays I don't hear a lot about them at all and I have still failed to spot any motherboards or hard drives supporting Serial Ata. Now how many of you guys are already using SATA and why/ why not?

No, but only because I haven't bought 2 WD 73Gig 10K RPM SATA drives yet... My 2 IBM 60Gig 7.2K RPM EIDE drives have been holding me over for over 3 years now. I'd like to see some 15K RPM SATA drives come out before I upgrade.

Mendel said:
Sata was the next big thing in hard drives about a year ago, lots of hardware sites were doing reviews and stuff... Nowadays I don't hear a lot about them at all and I have still failed to spot any motherboards or hard drives supporting Serial Ata. Now how many of you guys are already using SATA and why/ why not?

Is this an attempt at humor? I don't get it.

If it's not, go look at any mb released in the last year or so, it will have sata onboard. Every major HD manufacturer has been shipping sata drives for quite a while now.

I am using 3 WD 160GB SATA drives in a raid 5 setup, utilizing the LSI Megaraid 150-4.
Speedy, hot swap redundancy. mmmmm good!

note: I already desire to expand my array beyond 4 drives, and am looking at purchasing the LSI 150-6 to replace my 150-4. Anyone want to pick up a few month old LSI 150-4 for a reasonable price?

I'm using my Seagate Barracuda IV PATA drive in SATA with an adapter that came with my Abit NF7-S mobo ;) Considering that many SATA drives are just PATA drives with built-in adapter, this is as good as a "real" SATA configuration :)

I've got a Samsung 120 gigger on SATA... wouldn't call it a speed demon, but the much smaller cable alone is worth it IMO.

While on the topic... I'm running an ABIT NF7-S just like breez, and was just thinking about rigging up me NEC-2500 on the second SATA port with the Serillel 2 adapter... is this supposed to work? I'd test it in no sec if I had a second SATA data cable, but I'm way too lazy to hunt one down just to find out it's useless. :?

anaqer said:
While on the topic... I'm running an ABIT NF7-S just like breez, and was just thinking about rigging up me NEC-2500 on the second SATA port with the Serillel 2 adapter... is this supposed to work? I'd test it in no sec if I had a second SATA data cable, but I'm way too lazy to hunt one down just to find out it's useless. :?

If I remember correctly, CD/DVD-drives are supposed to work with that Seriller 2 (first one didn't support).

I have a wdraptor as listed in sig.

SATA is my friend since the cables are handier and of course I have a faster drive, but even if I didn't I would still have got a sata instead of ide

my own PC (KT133A Board) doesnt have SATA , so no i dont ;)

but every PC i bought for someone else has SATA Hard drives. (there is not much sense in buying outdated tech)

Mendel said:
Now how many of you guys are already using SATA and why/ why not?
I don't, but that's due to the fact that all my harddrives are running of a Promise RAID-5 controller card that I bought in late 2002, which supports Parallel ATA.

If I had to make the choice for another drive setup, I'd have to think hard whether to go with Serial ATA. On price/storage space, Parallel ATA is still ahead, high performance Raptor drives are Serial ATA only, so depending where the focus lies, I'd still buy Parallel ATA drives.

i don't, i have a 120gb seagate that i got when one of the drives in my old ide raid setup failed. if best buy would have had sata drives i would have got one as my motherboard supports it, but i wound up with another pata drive.

Yes, well kinda anyways. I am running my 2 IDE hard drives through 2 Highpoint RocketHead 100 SATA-to-PATA converters.

The reason, at the time :
- Smaller cables
- Silicon Image SATA drivers > nForce2 IDE drivers

I have tried it on my NEC-2500A but it wouldn't detect the drive. Not really surprising though as it does not support ATA33/66 drives.

Nope, but only because of got 200 Gig worth of IDE goodness that's going fine.
When I do a full upgrade late this year or early next year, I'll definately be going SATA. :LOL:

I replaced a 60GB DiamondMax9 Maxtor PATA (2mb cache) with a 120 GB DM9 Maxtor SATA (8MB cache).

Several benefits:

1) Extra speed - both more MB/s and lower access time (from 17 to 14ms).
2) Better case airflow due to smaller rounded SATA cables.
3) No messing about with "Master" and "Slave" jumpers as all SATA devices are masters (on their own cable).

Yep one raptor 36gb and one hitachi 160gb. Sata isnt much more expensive than equivalent pata drives and the cables do reduce clutter a little. I had very slim rounded pata cables before so the effect wasnt as dramatic.

One downside is that the sata connector is so friggin fragile. Can't yank it around like you did with the older drives :)

No Sata Drives... yet

even though my board has SATA on it. I feel that the SATA 150 is not the feasible answer. However I am waiting on Intels SATA 300. When it comes out I will be looking forward to seeing some benchmarks.

For you guys that love SATA. here is a card you might want to drool over :)

Enjoy

Back