Installing SATA WD Raptor on P4P800-SE

friskyolive

Newcomer
How to install 1 SATA Western Digital Harddrive (primary, no other drive) on XP service pack 1 and the p4p800-se (ICHNR) motherboard from asus.

Do I install the SATA RAID (application accelerator raid edition) driver from Intel regardless if only using 1 drive or use the promise controller and will there be any difference in speed from either driver? Must I still "stripe" the harddrive after its recognized or this only for RAID config with multiple drives?

I really appreciate the advice as asus had only confused the hec out of me.

Thank you very much! :oops:

friskyolive said:
How to install 1 SATA Western Digital Harddrive (primary, no other drive) on XP service pack 1 and the p4p800-se (ICHNR) motherboard from asus.

Do I install the SATA RAID (application accelerator raid edition) driver from Intel regardless if only using 1 drive or use the promise controller and will there be any difference in speed from either driver? Must I still "stripe" the harddrive after its recognized or this only for RAID config with multiple drives?

Yes Raid and create an Array and that's it .

RainZ

friskyolive said:

There is no way to access the ICH5R BIOS to build an array if you use just a single drive. Although you can use the "IAA" with a single drive if it's setup properly.

To setup a single SATA drive that will allow you to use the "Intel Application Accelerator" through the RAID controller on a Intel ICH5R based Asus board you will first need to enable the Intel RAID controller in the BIOS, then enable BOOTROM.

You will then need to do a fresh install of WinXP SP1 utilizing the F6 option to install third party drivers.

Be sure that you have already made a driver disk for the ICH5R from the Asus disk that came with your motherboard. You can find a "makedisk" utility in the ICH5R sub-folder somewhere.

Then, just install the drivers during the F6 install option. When WinXP is done installing you can check "Device Manager" to see if you have a Intel RAID controller installed. If so, you can then install the "Intel Application Accelerator"

I've noticed a great increase in HD access time using the ICH5R w/ IAA on my single drive SATA setup rather then using the Promise controller.

Also, this is the only way that I know of to install the ICH5R RAID driver. I don't believe it's possible to install it to a current Winxp SP1 installation.

Good Luck

"If you are using a single drive on the Intel controller, you will not
have to use the IAA driver. You will, however, need to use the Intel RAID
setup and create a stripe for the single drive. Then XP with SP1 should
see the drive and install to it without the use of a driver. Thanks."

This is the reponse in which I received from ASUS tech support.

crypto1300, can you confirm that using the promise controller has faster access? It also seems from ASUS's response you can use RAID with XP sp1 on a single drive suggesting to use the make disk with the "iaar2_floppy" I guess trouble-shooting is coming my way.

Digi, you elephant man you. ;) heheh

friskyolive said:
"If you are using a single drive on the Intel controller, you will not
have to use the IAA driver. You will, however, need to use the Intel RAID
setup and create a stripe for the single drive. Then XP with SP1 should
see the drive and install to it without the use of a driver. Thanks."

This is the reponse in which I received from ASUS tech support.

crypto1300, can you confirm that using the promise controller has faster access? It also seems from ASUS's response you can use RAID with XP sp1 on a single drive suggesting to use the make disk with the "iaar2_floppy" I guess trouble-shooting is coming my way.

Digi, you elephant man you. ;) heheh

No, my experience is slower with the Promise and faster with the ICH5R.

Back