Tenchu 3, X-BOX and PS2 (8 pictures, 56Kbps skip this one)

maskrider

Henshin !
Veteran
PS : I am not buying the X-BOX version for the sake of comparison.

Please don't mind the blurred interlaced output of my X-BOX (which I also have to stand the pain, already using the original Advanced AV pack).

There are not much difference in terms of the in game models, the lighting is different, the models in the character selection screen are a little bit different.

The one major difference that you will notice from the boot up of the game will be the shit compression of the FMV in the X-BOX version, I have not seen FMV compressed that bad before.

In the first stage (I have only been there), PS2 moves smoother than the X-BOX version.

And my X-BOX, although not played much, seems to have problem smoothly reading the disc. That can be a suspect of the reason of X-BOX version being not as smooth as PS2 version when I am running near the fire (but I don't believe it to be the reason).

PS2
cs-ps2.jpg

X-BOX
cs-xb.jpg

PS2
01-ps2.jpg

X-BOX
01-xb.jpg

PS2
05-ps2.jpg

X-BOX
05-xb.jpg

PS2
10-ps2.jpg

X-BOX
10-xb.jpg

Thanks for the comparison. From what I´m seeing here, there is virtually no difference between both versions, or do you need to see the game in motion to tell the difference?

Re: Tenchu 3, X-BOX and PS2 (8 pictures, 56Kbps skip this on

maskrider said:
The one major difference that you will notice from the boot up of the game will be the shit compression of the FMV in the X-BOX version, I have not seen FMV compressed that bad before.
I have, SMS on the GC.

is my observation correct, in that the Xbox version has real time shadows? Check the shadow in the first screen in which Xbox version seems to throw the shadow of the character in relation to where the light is coming from (in that example, the fire to the right of the character). :?:

Almasy said:
Thanks for the comparison. From what I´m seeing here, there is virtually no difference between both versions, or do you need to see the game in motion to tell the difference?

The lighting is a bit different, the X-BOX lighting is a bit more subtle comparing the PS2. PS2 version is overall brighter.

thop said:
I have, SMS on the GC.

I would say SMS is better than Tenchu 3 on X-BOX.

Phil said:
is my observation correct, in that the Xbox version has real time shadows? Check the shadow in the first screen in which Xbox version seems to throw the shadow of the character in relation to where the light is coming from (in that example, the fire to the right of the character).

Ha ha ! Yes, the shadows in PS2 version are basically the same in the same area, X-BOX version has dynamic shadows.

edit: you'll also notice that the resolution of the shadow is a little higher in X-BOX version. And the load time is a little bit faster in X-BOX version.

Ha ha ! Yes, the shadows in PS2 version are basically the same in the same area, X-BOX version has dynamic shadows.

I think you mean key-light-source dependent... If the PS2 shadow wasn't dynamic it would always be the same shape and never move.. :p Dunno why they didn't bother with it on the PS2... Kinda odd since it'd be trivial to do for one low-detail character (or more)...

archie4oz said:

I think you mean key-light-source dependent... If the PS2 shadow wasn't dynamic it would always be the same shape and never move.. :p Dunno why they didn't bother with it on the PS2... Kinda odd since it'd be trivial to do for one low-detail character (or more)...

Yes, the light source is always above the character at least in the first area in PS2. Even the fire is around the shadow doesn't change.

Got Tenchu Kurenai today, the shadow is the same as PS2 version of Tenchu 3, the light source is always above the character regardless of other light sources.

tenchu-kurenai.jpg

Back