new Ace Combat 5 screens. OMG

I've seen shimmering and jaggies in movies too. OMG, reality is not powerful enough :)

AC5 looks good but suffers from the same "stay high or be ugly" syndrom.

Well that´s a thing you know will be the same, and i think everyone that enjoyed the ace4 game as much as i did know this also, and it´s really no big deal as you spend most of your time at high altitude.
I wonder if a next gen ace on PS3 woul use displacement-mapping?

Not quite :)

Ground detail is really improved compared to AC4
562459_20040504_screen012.jpg

562459_20040504_screen018.jpg

562459_20040504_screen022.jpg

Ludicrous those supersampled shots may be, but Xbox games tend to come closer to them than PS2 games. Most of the time with these nice PS2 shots you have to take into account dirty visible scanlines.
Ironically, most of the time that is not the case, as most PS2 games that I can think of to be marketed with these high res screens actually ended up looking great, and often supported progressive scan.

If you really think that AC5 will look like a low res mess on your TV screen - you can always play AC4 and see for yourself what to expect.

Not quite

Ground detail is really improved compared to AC4

Yes it certanily is, but i guess he meant what i meant the "basetextures" or what to call it. :?

But they probably have done a little finetuning there also, i`m amaced at this game/engine (both :D ) and looking forward to play it.

Ironically, most of the time that is not the case, as most PS2 games that I can think of to be marketed with these high res screens actually ended up looking great, and often supported progressive scan.

If you really think that AC5 will look like a low res mess on your TV screen - you can always play AC4 and see for yourself what to expect.

I purchased AC4, along with its three predecessors. I'm not arguing that a lot of PS2 games that are marketed with the high quality screens don't end up looking great, but they do not match the high res/AA'd screencaps that are released. Shit, neither do Xbox games, but in the majority of cases it's clear as to what does come closer.

Ug Lee said:

I purchased AC4, along with its three predecessors. I'm not arguing that a lot of PS2 games that are marketed with the high quality screens don't end up looking great, but they do not match the high res/AA'd screencaps that are released. Shit, neither do Xbox games, but in the majority of cases it's clear as to what does come closer.

Could not have put it any better myself, Xbox and GC do not suffer from the same weakness as the PS2.. there is not a single PS2 game with sharp crisp texturing, unless it's a game with very limited viewspace.

there is not a single PS2 game with sharp crisp texturing, unless it's a game with very limited viewspace.
I don't even see how it matters for the question at hand (as those high res screens that people complain about for AC5, always make texuring problems *more* apparent than they are on the TV), but Burnout 2 & 3, Prince of Persia 1 & 2, Tomb Raider AOD, Ghosthunter or Killzone generally have no limited viewspace, and perhaps have varying degrees of texture quality, but rarely have low res textures, and all have excellent image quality.

Anyways, AC5 will have image quality at least on par or better than AC4, that much is obvious. Anyone complaining about these screens should go play that game first, and then try to imagine how it would look like with all the visual improvements that are obvous from these screens. I mean, of all the games that are released with these high res screens, this really is not the one to be doubted or put down.

Shit, neither do Xbox games, but in the majority of cases it's clear as to what does come closer.
In the majority of cases, those games support progressive scan (talking about those PS2 games marketed with high res screens), and that's just what you get. 640x resolution with no AA, just as with almost any other game released on other platforms. There are exceptions, of course, like GT4, or Transformers, both of which have image problems that you'd never could tell are there just by looking at the screens, but in the majority of cases, those creens are used to a good measure, and are much more fair represenation of the game, than some crappy videograbs fo example.

562459_20040504_screen022.jpg

This picture shows the limitations of the game engine and/or PS2. Ground is a simple flat blurry texture even from afar. There's nothing technical going on. If you want to talk technical, take a look at RSIII.

There's nothing technical going on.
Of course, because the only technical thing that ever goes on in any game ever created is rendering high resolution textures.

After all, the entire game creation process is completely trivial, there's no technology or content whatesoever being created, aside for the only important decision of what texture resolution you will see on screen.
Once that is done, the game is left alone to create itself in 12-24months, while the entire development team parties day and night in a non-stop orgy - the latter being what makes this work mentally and physically demanding.

PC-Engine said:
This picture shows the limitations of the game engine and/or PS2. Ground is a simple flat blurry texture even from afar. There's nothing technical going on. If you want to talk technical, take a look at RSIII.

It could be me but i think the main limitation on the PS2 is 32 MB, with 64MB the differences between the PS2 and the other consoles would have been even smaller :)

Anyway even on a PC with 1 gb and a 256 mb graphics card flight sims tend to have bad texturing.. if you get close enough :)

Back