MSI finally make the jump

Fodder

Stealth Nerd
Veteran
RX800PRO-VTD256.jpg

After months of maybes, it looks like MSI are finally shipping Radeons under their own brand. They have an X800 Pro, 9800 Pro, 9600 SE and 9200 SE. Poor JHH might have a stroke. :(

I don't suppose anybody owns MSI motherboards? they updated their Live Update utility abvout three months back with support for the ATi cards.

I have an MSI board, never used LiveUpdate though. BIOS updates through Windows? You gotta be kidding me.

With all due respect to MSI, I think thats one of the worse coolings for the X800 Pro so far.

Miss ramsinks.

HSF is exactly the same as the majority of the ones out there, being that its an ATI reference cooler with a different sticker.

DaveBaumann said:
HSF is exactly the same as the majority of the ones out there, being that its an ATI reference cooler with a different sticker.

My Mistake. I admit, I never took too many "Close" looks at the X800 Pro. My previous glances at it made me believe it had ramsinks. I'm a little baffled by the lack of passive cooling on the memory. Is it really running that much cooler?

GDDR3 doesn't get anywhere near as hot as GDDR2 and it really doesn't need cooling. Even the XT, at 560MHz uses the same cooler. There have also been some pretty crazy overclocks on the 500MHz rated GDDR3 on the PRO's, up to 590MHz -- all passive, without heatsinks.

DaveBaumann said:
GDDR3 doesn't get anywhere near as hot as GDDR2 and it really doesn't need cooling. Even the XT, at 560MHz uses the same cooler. There have also been some pretty crazy overclocks on the 500MHz rated GDDR3 on the PRO's, up to 590MHz -- all passive, without heatsinks.

How would you say, It compares to DDR 1? For compative sake. Say DDR1 @ 850 Mhz, (yes I chose that number for my own compative sake) ;)

I havent had any experiences with GDDR3, Other than what I have read and the 5700 reviews.

ChrisRay said:
DaveBaumann said:

How would you say, It compares to DDR 1? For compative sake. Say DDR1 @ 850 Mhz, (yes I chose that number for my own compative sake) ;)

I havent had any experiences with GDDR3, Other than what I have read and the 5700 reviews.

ddr 1 has voltages of ~2.8, gddr3 is 1.8 to 2.0. That should give you an idea.

AlphaWolf said:
ChrisRay said:
DaveBaumann said:

ddr 1 has voltages of ~2.8, gddr3 is 1.8 to 2.0. That should give you an idea.

Gotcha. The Rest is just math. Thanks very much.

macci reports that when the PCB indirectly cools the memory down ( when it had extreme cooling on the vpu ) the memory overclocked a lot better as well .....

DDR 2memory on the 5700U at 2.2ns speed or 800Mhz effective routinely goes up to 1030-50 ok, where GDDR3 doesn't quite get this relative increase.

I would suggest heatsinks on the GDDR3 would help.

PatrickL said:
Quitch said:
I have an MSI board, never used LiveUpdate though. BIOS updates through Windows? You gotta be kidding me.

Works perfectly.

That's great and all, it's just the time that it fails, or something in Windows fails (and flashing under the OS = more potential things that can fail). A flash only needs to fail once for you to enter a world of pain.

Quitch said:
PatrickL said:
Quitch said:

Works perfectly.

That's great and all, it's just the time that it fails, or something in Windows fails (and flashing under the OS = more potential things that can fail). A flash only needs to fail once for you to enter a world of pain.

I agree, flashing under windows would scare me to death, I prefer a nice simple boot disk. Worse case, just reflash with your saved bios and all is well. It may work under windows, but is it smart?

It takes about 30 seconds to flash while in Windows. If your Windows crashes all the time, you have other problems all together.

Not everyone uses a floppy any more, I have not had one in 2 or 3 years. Not everyone has a USB key either.

We have had MSI RX9800's for about two/three weeks now... nice box.. didnt check what was inside... Meh!

fallguy said:
It takes about 30 seconds to flash while in Windows. If your Windows crashes all the time, you have other problems all together.
I updated my MSI bios through Window's for the first time last month. I thought it was pretty neat.

fallguy said:

Not everyone uses a floppy any more, I have not had one in 2 or 3 years. Not everyone has a USB key either.

It doesn't need to fail all the time, it just needs to fail once, during that 30 second period.

I'd flash off a CD, not a floppy disc.

Back