PowerVR high-end ready.

I want :
1- An annoucement
2- A product launch
3- a card to review (and keep ;) )

And all that before autumn :devilish: :devilish:

there is not any semiconductor manufacturer interested in their desktop grapichs tech license. :rolleyes:

Well they arent looking for a semiconductor manufacturer, but still noone seems interested.

Note to myself to revisit this topic in a year...

Well, they may have the technology, but that doesn't mean that any PC product will be produced for a long time. Imgtech's business model just doesn't work for the cutthroat competition in PC graphics. By the time their parts get to market, it's too late.

Can somebody either explain, or point at a link, at greater detail on the differences between an IP company and a fabless semi company? Yes, I've seen/understand at the highest level, I'm just curious what this means for, say, headcount, and the kind of responsibilities/risks that are avoided in the IP-only model. How big a change/expansion would it be for them to cross that line from one to the other?

From what I understand, an IP company doesn't actually put up any of the cost of manufacturing the chips, while a fabless semiconductor company does.

Chalnoth said:
From what I understand, an IP company doesn't actually put up any of the cost of manufacturing the chips, while a fabless semiconductor company does.

Yes, that would be the most obvious difference; I was wondering if that was all though. Does it save in engineering headcount somewhere along the line as well? PR? Sales?

geo said:
Yes, that would be the most obvious difference; I was wondering if that was all though. Does it save in engineering headcount somewhere along the line as well? PR? Sales?
Well, yeah, an IP company will obviously need fewer employees. They will rely upon whatever company licenses their technology to handle the manufacturing, distribution, and sales of the product.

Toward this end, if you want a PC product from Imgtec, you should be looking for announcements of licensing of their technology for PC parts. We haven't seen this happen yet, and I'm not entirely sure it will.

Back