• Both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

• Can't Tell

• Total voters
Rugor said:
Because anyone with that minimum of vision known as half an eye could see the difference when Nvidia was doing it. The real spanner in the works with ATI is that we're just now noticing it-- and they've been doing it for a year on the RV3x0 series.

And....whoopee doo. If you can't see a problem, why go looking for one. Really dissapointed with alot of people on this forum and certain other individuals, seems people have nothing better to do then constantly look for issues that are not issues.

Now were getting down to pixel x pixel comparisons, when really the main issue is can anyone see mip map borders when playing with a ATI card and Quality filtering enabled, I know I can't and reviewers for the last year can't either. Now I know I can see them using a 5600 with 'brilinear' enabled so spend time on examining what you can see vs. optimizations that don't affect IQ :!:

Wow, talk about eyestrain trying to figure out which one is different.

The right looks slightly smoother to me (not sure if that is a good or bad thing) I always assume that sharper is better for AF if the depth transitions are smooth. AA is better used for smoothness. So really, all this new news about the X800 has me thinking the sharper image is actually better than the 9800 image.....

The left looks more like what I strive to achieve when adjusting the monitor convergence to perfection.

Doomtrooper said:
Rugor said:
Because anyone with that minimum of vision known as half an eye could see the difference when Nvidia was doing it. The real spanner in the works with ATI is that we're just now noticing it-- and they've been doing it for a year on the RV3x0 series.

And....whoopee doo. If you can't see a problem, why go looking for one. Really dissapointed with alot of people on this forum and certain other individuals, seems people have nothing better to do then constantly look for issues that are not issues.

Now were getting down to pixel x pixel comparisons, when really the main issue is can anyone see mip map borders when playing with a ATI card and Quality filtering enabled, I know I can't and reviewers for the last year can't either. Now I know I can see them using a 5600 with 'brilinear' enabled so spend time on examining what you can see vs. optimizations that don't affect IQ :!:

That was my real point: the spanner in the works is a way of saying if it's so important why are we only noticing it after a year. Nvidia's early "brilinear" was obvious. We didn't need anything to see that.

This is fine.

nvidia's brilinear was obvious because colour mips showed what was going on, but ATI's method seems to switch to full trilinear for colour mips, which is why it makes it hard, with most game textures, the difference between brilinear and true trilinear is hard to pick imo.

The image on the left is slightly sharper but that could easily be due to a different mip-map lod bias being used by different cards or drivers.

I'd have to say the left. After an extended stare on the pic from afar. Not that far but around 30cm away from my monitor.

It's very difficult to tell and by staring at it I may have ended up just seeing something that doesn't exist.

I couldn't see it by looking at the original, but bloodbob's processed image cetainly shows the right side to be filtered a little better.

cho said:
why there is not such poll when nvidia implement brilinear on nv3x :)

Because there would have been no difference between left and right (and because this app has only just been provided to me, by ATI, something that NVIDIA probably wouldn't have done - they have test apps in house that I've seen and asked for and never got).

Anyway, the point of the application is to provide textures that will defeat the optimisation - so, on the left hand side you have an filtering via the optimised mode and on the right to have "optimisation defeated" (i.e. Traditional) trilinear.

DaveBaumann said:

Dave, how did you generate your MIP map levels for this test? Did you use a box filter or something more correct, eg a gaussian or a windowed sinc function?

If it's just a box filter then S3's old technique would produce identical results (give or take a bit) .

[UPDATE] AHH I see you have just posted that it's not your application.

DaveBaumann said:
Anyway, the point of the application is to provide textures that will defeat the optimisation - so, on the left hand side you have an filtering via the optimised mode and on the right to have "optimisation defeated" (i.e. Traditional) trilinear.
So 40-45% of the voters can tell which one is the good one. I wouldn't say it's non obvious.
PS: i think you should have precise what to look for, because not everybody knows what the filtering does...

DaveBaumann said:
cho said:
why there is not such poll when nvidia implement brilinear on nv3x :)

Because there would have been no difference between left and right (and because this app has only just been provided to me, by ATI, something that NVIDIA probably wouldn't have done - they have test apps in house that I've seen and asked for and never got).

So you mean
left = ATI trylinear
right = Traditional Full Trilinear

Right?
________
Toyota Raum Specifications

Last edited by a moderator:
Evildeus said:
So 40-45% of the voters can tell which one is the good one. I wouldn't say it's non obvious.
You could also say that the majority of B3D's more-knowledgable-than-most forumgoers couldn't tell the difference. :)

It's still just a static image, though. Obviously the real test is in motion.

Evildeus said:
DaveBaumann said:
PS: i think you should have precise what to look for, because not everybody knows what the filtering does...

Why on earth would they need to know what it does to pick out the image? I think people are picking out the one they think looks better, which is surely the whole point??

DaveBaumann said:

So whats interesting is that I've now gotten a chance to look at this on 3 different displays. My first response was based off of the display on my laptop (Thinkpad T40 with 1024x768 display) where I could see a little more moire on the left hand side.

Since I've gotten home, I've looked at it on my Dell 1901FP and a Compaq P110 (rebadged 21" sony trinitron). I really can't tell much of a difference on either of these displays. Interesting to say the least.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Back