Hard disk failing

My 40GB IBM 60GXP appears to be failing, I think. Sounds like the power keeps cutting out for a split second, any idea how I can stop this?

Perhaps a bios update fixes chipset timing issues? abit KT7A RAID 1.1 with, erm, not the latest bios revision.

Sounds like a regular IBM disk to me. The IBM GXP series is known for it's short lifespan. Over the last years I've had about 9 of them (some at work and some at home), currently only one is still operative. I recommend getting all important data off the disk and wait for it to fail so you can RMA it.

Can you even get an RMA

IBM reportedly sold off it's HD business part to Samsung or Hitachi. They're out of the HD business really. But supposedly some people said it had to do with revisions of what hard drive model. But there were a lot of failed drives lately with HP. They used to be top notched performance wise. Sometimes WD licensed their tech for their drives, but not anymore.
Bummer dude.

If it sounds like a clicking sound (usually when trying to read certain sectors when you're running a disk utility that uses a map) it could just be bad sectors. Or it could be catastrophic failure of the drive. Either way, get a new one asap imo.

You got me worried now since I have the same HD.... I needed a drive right a way and all the Western Digital's were sold out. (This is the first non-WD HD I have had in 10 years)

Back