Profit of NV40 parts

PatrickL said:
- 40% more transistors, yet only 9% bigger die. Costs 10-15% lower, with better process capacity

It s nice trick here. He is talking about die and the following sentence he is talking about wafers.

i can trust each wafer cost 10 or 15 % more due to low-k process, but that tells nothing about the cost per die despite the obvious attempt of confusing things :)
Thank you PatrickL, I had been wondering about that when I heard it.

Sad outlook in my book. "By Q4 everything will be NV4X" That sounds like they don't have a proper roadmap. ATI will have a nice run for free again.

When I read stuff like this "Talked about R420 being effectively a 3 year old architecture, and customers will pick the NV4x over that based on features such as Shader 3.0, since theirs is the only true next gen GPU"
It maybe 3 years old but it runs PS 2.0 very will in my opinion, and guess what customers will buy it because 1) it will be delivered 2) It performs better than what Nvidia will have out there, which is !?

"3% Market share gain came from mid to low end boards, as opposed to the enthusiast segment" And achieve this with what? Current inventories or new boards? If it's current that means they will have to drop prices on those boards, profits anyone? If it's based on new boards, then were is the product, the end of the year is like 8 months away and missing Autumn sales and most likely Christmas! Yes "enthusiast segment" dosn't make that much money as their is less volume, but it sells Name recognition, when you paper launch it sells squat.

I can comment on the rest of this info, but most of it is bull PR or flat out misleading and has already been commented on. If the companies TWIMTBP marketing strategy is the only way they can keep market, I would hate to see what would happen if some developers do a 180. I doubt it will happen, but who knows. Nvidia seems to be running the obstacle course blindly at the moment. IMO

Evildeus said:
Joe DeFuria said:
PaulS said:
- ATi have hand picked boards to be sent to reviewers, each at a different speed (?), potentially confusing consumers. NVIDIA don't do this, and their boards are much better overclockers that the XT (due to the hand picking mentioned previously, apparently).

Methinks he has ATI and nVidia completely confused. :rolleyes:
I think he is talking about that:
Code:
- AnandTech : 500/550MHz 
- CHIP : 520/560 MHz 
- HardOCP : 520/560 MHz 
- Toms Hardware Guide : 525/575 MHz 
- Extreme Tech : 520/600 MHz 
- Beyond3D : 520/550 MHz

All that says was ATI nailed down "final" clocks in the last couple days, not that boards were "hand picked." (And Dave mentioned the issue at least one site had with flashing the board they had with the bios that set the final clocks...)

Talk about "hand picked": look at 6800 PCBs with hand modifications, and 500 Mhz ram overclocked to 550 Mhz...and then throw in a few hand picked cards for the Extreme variant.....

Florin said:
Joe DeFuria said:
Funny stuff...

6800U designed specifically for enthusiasts, has lots of "frequency headroom", and comes with an optional second power connector, required only for overclocking

I guess this confirms that the 6800U is actually overclocked then.

Provided the transcription is correct, how so? Does the U require the second connector?

You certainly can't run it stock by only plugging in one...

Regardlessly, I'm sure you're aware that it is not overclocking as long as Nvidia guarantees the U core will run at the speed it does..

Of course. So why doesn't nVidia also gurantee that it will run with only only one power connector? The bottom line is...that second power connector is not optional to run at stock speeds. It's required.

Joe DeFuria said:
Florin said:
Joe DeFuria said:
Funny stuff...

6800U designed specifically for enthusiasts, has lots of "frequency headroom", and comes with an optional second power connector, required only for overclocking

I guess this confirms that the 6800U is actually overclocked then.

Provided the transcription is correct, how so? Does the U require the second connector?

Well, he specifically mentioned that only one power connector was required for stock on at least 3 separate occasions during the call. He really couldn't be any clearer in what he was saying, so either the reviewers are wrong, the final boards will only require 1 molex, or he's lying. At this point, i'd be surprised if he was lying about something as simple as this, especially when he kept saying it over and over.

Although I'm sure people can pull up other examples of times he's lied, so I guess we'll see.

PaulS said:
Well, he specifically mentioned that only one power connector was required for stock on at least 3 separate occasions during the call. He really couldn't be any clearer in what he was saying, so either the reviewers are wrong, the final boards will only require 1 molex, or he's lying. At this point, i'd be surprised if he was lying about something as simple as this, especially when he kept saying it over and over.

Its quite explicit in their own reviewers guide for a 480W PSU with both connectors plugged in to separate rails. Its not a case of reviewers making this stuff up, this is what NVIDIA documentation states.

Well anyway perhaps baron is right and the nv45 will be lowK. And be released instead maybe this is why the ridiculous delay...not that I care anyway as my 9800pro is holding up well enough.

PaulS said:
Although I'm sure people can pull up other examples of times he's lied, so I guess we'll see.

"Low K is dangerous" quoted from some idiot who runs a graphics card company.

DaveBaumann said:
PaulS said:

Its quite explicit in their own reviewers guide for a 480W PSU with both connectors plugged in to separate rails. Its not a case of reviewers making this stuff up, this is what NVIDIA documentation states.

Sure, and I believe you. I'm just trying to work out why he said what he said, because why would he lie about something that is so easily debunked?

PaulS said:
DaveBaumann said:
PaulS said:

Sure, and I believe you. I'm just trying to work out why he said what he said, because why would he lie about something that is so easily debunked?

Because he knows he had dodging room, he can still claim that even though you are required to plug two in it will only draw from one unless you overclock, which may be true or may be bullshit. Regardless it still leaves him wiggle room or he could have been mistaken which is possible.

DaveBaumann said:
PaulS said:

I'm not sure how they phrased it but is it possible they included that statement to make sure the board would also work in any overclocking tests that some reviewers may have been tempted to do?

I'm curious if anyone tried running on a single connector.

Florin said:
DaveBaumann said:
PaulS said:

I'm not sure how they phrased it but is it possible they included that statement to make sure the board would also work in any overclocking tests that some reviewers may have been tempted to do?

I'm curious if anyone tried running on a single connector.

Those that did received a warning screen saying that only one connector was connected and that they would nto be able to proceed in 3d I think Kyle at Hard had it in his 6800 U review but I know at least 2 reviewers tried it.

PaulS said:
Joe DeFuria said:

Has anyone actually checked to see if a 6800 will run at it's default with only one molex? :|

Correction, this is what happened in Kyle's preview

ote that both Molex plugs are coming off of one wire from the PSU. We did not experience any problems with this configuration and never once had the low power dialog box pop up. We did remove the second Molex connector and tried running the card on just the primary power plug. As soon as the computer booted into Windows the low power dialog box popped up informing us we were running in a reduced power mode.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA2

Stryyder said:
Those that did received a warning screen saying that only one connector was connected and that they would nto be able to proceed in 3d I think Kyle at Hard had it in his 6800 U review but I know at least 2 reviewers tried it.
This is a first, my question was actually answered before I could post it! :LOL:

Thanks Stryyder! :)

digitalwanderer said:
Stryyder said:
This is a first, my question was actually answered before I could post it! :LOL:

Thanks Stryyder! :)

No problem I have no life so its easy. ;)

Back