Profit of NV40 parts

Stryyder

Regular
NVIDIA is reporting they expect a rise in margin between 1 to 1.5% by Q3 2004.

A lot of you have been saying that the NV40 is a part that they will be offering at a reduced margin because of manufacturing and yield issues. Anyone want to tackle this apparent discrepency??

P.S. Reports are they were really pumping SM 3.0 on the conference call today.

If the message boards are to believed Jen made some great quotes for us to argue about, but I am waiting for an official transcript before I get into them..

One was about the 6800 not being in volume production but again this is not from an official transcript.

In the context of the thread subject.

What % of sales do we expect nv40 will be for nvidia earnings this quarter?

Their increased profitability may be associated with Xbox sales. Until I see a lot more information to the contrary I don't think nv40 is playing much of a part in those numbers.

AlphaWolf said:
In the context of the thread subject.

What % of sales do we expect nv40 will be for nvidia earnings this quarter?

Their increased profitability may be associated with Xbox sales. Until I see a lot more information to the contrary I don't think nv40 is playing much of a part in those numbers.

i believe they said xbox revenues actually declined.

I listened to it until I couldn't listen to it anymore. They were pushing PS3.0 as the second coming and saying it made things like HDR lighting possible and that anyone without a PS3.0 capable card was going to really be missing out on their gaming experience.

Then on the Q&A bit some guy went off about how they have an "architectural advantage" over ATi since they have sooo many more transistors as well as the ADVANTAGE of still being on the .13 process. (Whilst still pushing how they had PS3.0 and ATi doesn't and that will be REALLY important.)

Pretty typical, I should have known better than to try and listen to it. :rolleyes:

dig you have to learn to separate the chaff from the wheat. Maybe not learn but more like be patient with it. ;) There is likely to be some good snippets in the broadcast if you listen hard and you cannot expect anything less than a company boast about its advantages over rival companies.

Edit: I wasn't trying to patronise honest!

Tahir said:
dig you have to learn to separate the chaff from the wheat. Maybe not learn but more like be patient with it. ;) There is likely to be some good snippets in the broadcast if you listen hard and you cannot expect anything less than a company boast about its advantages over rival companies.

Edit: I wasn't trying to patronise honest!
No offense taken, you're actually quite right! :LOL:

That's why I was trying to listen to it, but me bloody eyes started glazing over and then my 4 year old daughter crawled up in my lap and she started looking at pictures on Bubbles while I was trying to listen and the bits I could hear were just pissing me off so I nixxed it and decided to just either read a transcript or check whatever post came up here to see what the highlights were.

<pant-pant-pant!>

Meh, whatever they say really doesn't matter right now...the big thing I'm looking for from them right now is for nVidia to actually announce an availability date for their 6800.

Just as I'm listening:

- Margins to improve throughout the year, far beyond NV3x levels
- Profits to be flat to slightly up next quarter, with XBox finally rising after 2 declining quarters in a row
- NV4x biggest leap NV have ever taken
- Shader 3.0 "dramatically extends programmability"
- A dozen games and big engines are going to support 3.0
- 6800U designed specifically for enthusiasts, has lots of "frequency headroom", and comes with an optional second power connector, required only for overclocking :!:
- The GPU is affected heavily by the compiler, which is shipping at 1.0 and is very early. They expect big performance boosts in later drivers
- Quadro FX4000 is showing 38x performance in a specific app (didn't pick up which one)
- 3% Market share gain came from mid to low end boards, as opposed to the enthusiast segment.
- Shader 3.0, Superscaler, and programmable video processor made up the transistor count over and above ATi.
- 40% more transistors, yet only 9% bigger die. Costs 10-15% lower, with better process capacity.
- Redundancy and re-configurability in the NV4x, and "immunity from defects", to achieve great yields moving forward.
- Multiple NV4x chips taped out, a couple of them are back from an unspecified fab, and by Q4 everything will be based on NV4x. They refused to be any more specific than "by the end of the year".
- Talked about R420 being effectively a 3 year old architecture, and customers will pick the NV4x over that based on features such as Shader 3.0, since theirs is the only true next gen GPU
- Game Developers "clamouring" for their Shader 3.0 and FP Filtering tech, building lots of boards specifically for devs. Easier to write, with better performance. Conditional branches are heavily touted.
- ATi have hand picked boards to be sent to reviewers, each at a different speed (?), potentially confusing consumers. NVIDIA don't do this, and their boards are much better overclockers that the XT (due to the hand picking mentioned previously, apparently).
- PS2.0 vs PS3.0 will be a "glaring" difference, but HSI vs. native PCI-E is identical (including bi-directional bandwidth). Competitors are doing much the same, so it's costing them money as well.
- Competitors are going to hurt badly with PCI-E, since they'll have to build 4 or 5 extra boards.
- NV4x can operate in 3 modes: AGP8x, PCI-E, or PCI-E with HSI.
- Started arguing with one caller, who pushed them about whether PS3.0 will actually make any difference NOW. They went back and forth several times, and it got reasonably heated and amusing. They said they'd call the guy back after the conference call :LOL:

PaulS said:
Just as I'm listening:

- Margins to improve throughout the year, far beyond NV3x levels
- Profits to be flat to slightly up next quarter, with XBox finally rising after 2 declining quarters in a row
- NV4x biggest leap NV have ever taken
- Shader 3.0 "dramatically extends programmability"
- A dozen games and big engines are going to support 3.0
- 6800U designed specifically for enthusiasts, has lots of "frequency headroom", and comes with an optional second power connector, required only for overclocking :!:
- The GPU is affected heavily by the compiler, which is shipping at 1.0 and is very early. They expect big performance boosts in later drivers
- Quadro FX4000 is showing 38x performance in a specific app (didn't pick up which one)
- 3% Market share gain came from mid to low end boards, as opposed to the enthusiast segment.
- Shader 3.0, Superscaler, and programmable video processor made up the transistor count over and above ATi.
- 40% more transistors, yet only 9% bigger die. Costs 10-15% lower, with better process capacity.
- Redundancy and re-configurability in the NV4x, and "immunity from defects", to achieve great yields moving forward.
- Multiple NV4x chips taped out, a couple of them are back from an unspecified fab, and by Q4 everything will be based on NV4x. They refused to be any more specific than "by the end of the year".
- Talked about R420 being effectively a 3 year old architecture, and customers will pick the NV4x over that based on features such as Shader 3.0, since theirs is the only true next gen GPU
- Game Developers "clamouring" for their Shader 3.0 and FP Filtering tech, building lots of boards specifically for devs. Easier to write, with better performance. Conditional branches are heavily touted.
- ATi have hand picked boards to be sent to reviewers, each at a different speed (?), potentially confusing consumers. NVIDIA don't do this, and their boards are much better overclockers that the XT (due to the hand picking mentioned previously, apparently).
- PS2.0 vs PS3.0 will be a "glaring" difference, but HSI vs. native PCI-E is identical (including bi-directional bandwidth). Competitors are doing much the same, so it's costing them money as well.
- Competitors are going to hurt badly with PCI-E, since they'll have to build 4 or 5 extra boards.
- NV4x can operate in 3 modes: AGP8x, PCI-E, or PCI-E with HSI.
- Started arguing with one caller, who pushed them about whether PS3.0 will actually make any difference NOW. They went back and forth several times, and it got reasonably heated and amusing. They said they'd call the guy back after the conference call :LOL:

That guy is a piece of work.

I still own a good bit of NVDA shares and after hearing that load of BS I am thinking of selling.

The guy lies. He is a liar. I have really lost faith in this company.

I still own a good bit of NVDA shares and after hearing that load of BS I am thinking of selling.

You seem to be taking these statements personally. Why do you think it's a "load of BS", specifically?

The guy lies. He is a liar. I have really lost faith in this company.

Why is he a liar, specifically? Most executives spin things in their company's favor, and speak negatively about their closest competitors. You think Dave Orton of ATI doesn't spin things in ATI's favor relative to NVIDIA? This is just reality. Neither ATI nor NVIDIA are saints, they are held accountable to their shareholders first and foremost.

Jen Hsung was a used Junk(the ship) salesman in a previous life I think. I'm sure ATi doesnt need to crack the whip on its engineers to motivate them a few of Jen Hsungs rants on the messageboard probably do the trick.

Funny stuff...

6800U designed specifically for enthusiasts, has lots of "frequency headroom", and comes with an optional second power connector, required only for overclocking

I guess this confirms that the 6800U is actually overclocked then.

PaulS said:

Methinks he has ATI and nVidia completely confused. :rolleyes:

PaulS said:

I find this remarkable, considering this is Q1.

EDIT: He failed to say if consumers will actually be able to buy a geforce 6800 Ultra even in only a couple of months?? Didn't they launch the product like a month ago? WTF.. :?

PaulS said:
Hello, NV45! How are you doing over at TSMC? Are you .11u FSG or .13u low-k? Care to share?

Back