Anywhere I can see x800's ps2.0 vs 6800's ps3.0?

Killua

Newcomer
Too many reviews suddenly popping out and I can't find one to compare ps2.0 and 3.0's speed from both companies.

Killua said:
Too many reviews suddenly popping out and I can't find one to compare ps2.0 and 3.0's speed from both companies.

That is because there are no true 3.0 applications to test it on.

Stryyder said:
Killua said:

And not really any true 2.0 applications. Although some people have different opinions about this :)

Bjorn said:
Killua said:
I thought far cry supports ps3.0? Or is it not being enabled yet?

That patch/addon hasn't been released yet. And it'll of course support SM2.0 also.

• I thought the v1.1 patch already added some ps3.0 support. We just need DX 9.0c to enable it first

tt_22 said:
Bjorn said:
Killua said:
I thought far cry supports ps3.0? Or is it not being enabled yet?

That patch/addon hasn't been released yet. And it'll of course support SM2.0 also.

• I thought the v1.1 patch already added some ps3.0 support. We just need DX 9.0c to enable it first

Semantics, the effect is the same its a Direct 3d game so we are still waiting regardless of the cause to see 3.0.

How bad do you think the NVIDIA guys are bending over developers to create an effect in SM 3.0 that can only be replicate in SM 2.0 with great penalty? Yes I am a conspiracy theorist.

Stryyder said:
Killua said:

Shadermark 2.1 beta supports PS3.0 compiler tragets at least. :)
I couldn't get it to run though, even after installing the latest DX SDK which is supposed to support PS3.0 etc.

Yeah, but it seems that SM 3.0 specification has change and some parts of the demo is no more part of SM 3.0 hence not supported by the 6800 part

L´équipe de développement de PowerVR qui a pas mal travaillé sur les Pixel et Vertex Shader 3.0 (tant au niveau software que hardware) a publié il y a quelques mois plusieurs démos faisant appel aux Pixel Shader 3.0. Ces démos ne pouvaient tourner qu´en mode software auparavant. Tournent-elles correctement sur le GeForce 6800 ? Non.

Elles ne se lancent d´ailleurs même pas. Elles sont en fait tout simplement incompatibles avec DirectX 9.0c qui a introduit quelques limitations dans les Pixel Shader 3.0. Il est ainsi interdit d´utiliser des textures dépendantes et quelques autres instructions à l´intérieur d´une branche. Cette nouvelle limitation n’avait pas pu être prise en compte au moment de la réalisation des démos vu qu´elle n´existait pas. Cette limitation a-t-elle été introduite par Microsoft pour coller à celles du hardware ?
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/491/page6.html

Bjorn said:
And not really any true 2.0 applications. Although some people have different opinions about this :)

a very ignorant statement. there are possibly no fully dx9 designed games with 2.0 only, but there are tons of applications existing showing 2.0 features, and performance. not counting them is very ignorant.

Yeah, there somes piecemeal 2.0 use, but of what use is that for benchmarking PS2.0 if 95% of the shaders are PS1.1 and one or two shaders in PS2.0?

That's the problem with FarCry. There's no way to know exactly *what* you are truly benchmarking, except for the game itself. You can't say "FarCry shows PS2.0 performance = X"

HL2 looks to be the first game that uses tons and tons of PS2.0 shaders.

So I guess it will be about 10 years or more until we see an SM3.0 game then, eh DC?

I mean if it doesn't use all SM3.0 it's not really an SM3.0 game is it?

AlphaWolf said:
So I guess it will be about 10 years or more until we see an SM3.0 game then, eh DC?

I mean if it doesn't use all SM3.0 it's not really an SM3.0 game is it?

I expect that it will take quite some time for SM3.0 to be the baseline for a game. If at all. Perhaps if the next gen consoles are SM3.0 or equivalent. But that wasn't what was discussed here was it ?

Heavy usage of SM3.0 though will probably go much faster then getting SM2.0 support since it's much easier to go from SM2.0 to SM3.0 then from 1.0 to 2.0. And much easier to add a fallback. AFAIK at least, but i'm not a developer so don't quote me on that :)

Bjorn said:
I expect that it will take quite some time for SM3.0 to be the baseline for a game. If at all. Perhaps if the next gen consoles are SM3.0 or equivalent.

Even if next gen consoles are SM3 compliant they will still likely to be coded with primarily 1.1 shaders.

But that wasn't what was discussed here was it ?

Really? Pretty sure its exactly on topic. The author of the thread was asking for ps2 to ps3 comparison. It was suggested that PS3.0 was not available, and you and DC decided that ps2.0 wasn't here yet either.

Heavy usage of SM3.0 though will probably go much faster then getting SM2.0 support since it's much easier to go from SM2.0 to SM3.0 then from 1.0 to 2.0. And much easier to add a fallback. AFAIK at least, but i'm not a developer so don't quote me on that :)

Not until entry level hardware (and the bulk of its installed base) can perform things like dynamic branching at acceptable speeds. Until then I think you are predominantly looking at ps1.1 to ps2.0 shaders being used.

Perhaps you and DemoCoder can come up with a ratio of shaders which is acceptable to classify a game into a shader model 'category'. I look forward to your results. Until then I am going to continue to believe that games like Far Cry which use quite a few ps2.0 shaders are ps2.0 games.

AlphaWolf said:
Really? Pretty sure its exactly on topic. The author of the thread was asking for ps2 to ps3 comparison. It was suggested that PS3.0 was not available, and you and DC decided that ps2.0 wasn't here yet either.

Nope, i'm of the opinion that there are no true PS2.0 game here yet. Not that PS2.0 wasn't here yet. And as i said earlier, some people might disagree.

Not until entry level hardware (and the bulk of its installed base) can perform things like dynamic branching at acceptable speeds. Until then I think you are predominantly looking at ps1.1 to ps2.0 shaders being used.

True but it'll depend a bit on what the next gen consoles does and when they arrive.

Perhaps you and DemoCoder can come up with a ratio of shaders which is acceptable to classify a game into a shader model 'category'. I look forward to your results. Until then I am going to continue to believe that games like Far Cry which use quite a few ps2.0 shaders are ps2.0 games.

Forget about the ratio of shaders. As i see it, look at the Half Life 2, Unreal Engine 3 videos and see how they look ?

Are there any of those features/effects available in any game yet ? IMO no. Far Cry with the SM2.0/SM3.0 patch will probably be the first though.

Back