R300 Overclockbility and P4

David G.

Newcomer
I've found this interesting post @ rage3d while browsing their forums . I've wanted to post a reply but I'm not registered and I don't intend to as I try keeping out of fan sites .
This smart fellow alway posts interesting things , much , much in advance of what we know at one point . Sometimes he's wrong sometimes he's right and now ..... well I don't really know what to think :

Originally posted by East17
Don't you find this werid ?

I mean , ATi is in very good relations with Intel . They even licensed some manufacturing techniques from Intel .
The VPU looks like and Intel P4 CPU and now ..... it overclocks like and Intel CPU .

In the CPU world , when K7 Slot A came into place we were amaized by it's capacity of overclocking beyond the 300 Mhz limit and now Northwood made 1 Ghz overclocks much simplier as they don't even require aditional cooling . I've overclocked my self more P4 @ 1600 Mhz to 2600 Mhz using only the stock cooling .

Now , in the video card buissiness , a 50 Mhz overclock was something cool but now , 75 Mhz overclocking is possible even without extra cooling .

Don't you think there is a conection between there happenings .

Add to this the fact that ATi has done the impossible : getting twice as manny transistors working @ highyer speed while using the same tech .

Well don't they use TSMC and/or USMC for manufacturing, would ATI say these are a few additional libraries we want to use? Wouldn't this imply investment from the production facilities stand point.

East17 is the same guy who was trying his darndest to prove that the VIA demo and Doom III demo was not running on an R300 (Raeon 9700 Pro) but rather on a RV250 (Radeon 9000 Pro).

That is just FYI. :)

Who cares ?

What matter is that even I start to belive that there is more than just a resemblance in the way the 2 chips ( P4 & R300 ) are packged .

BTW ... I really enjoyed reading his theories :)

But here it's another thing .

Who cares ?

What matter is that even I start to belive that there is more than just a resemblance in the way the 2 chips ( P4 & R300 ) are packged .

Who cares ?

Humus said:
Nothing but wild speculation I'd say.
Not wild. ;)
It is speculation, but what was done with the r300 @.15 micron one must admit is impressive. The similarities between P4 and r300 are uncanny with the look and overclock showing quality design and fabrication.

Humus said:
Nothing but wild speculation I'd say.
Not wild. ;)
It is speculation, but what was done with the r300 @.15 micron one must admit is impressive. The similarities between P4 and r300 are uncanny with the look and overclock showing quality design and fabrication.

Back