Xbitlabs bench 6800 & X800 with HL2 and Stalker

Mmm, I like those HL2 benches, pity I lost my copy of my- err, 'Highly Anticipated Next Generation DX9 game'. 8)

dr3amz said:
probably not - early beta releases of the games don't really do much for anyone.
They certainly did a lot for ATI fans when the 9800 Pro was the clear winner, last round :)

Valve have also stated that the X800 is the clear choice for HL2 for performance.
Now why would they do that, I wonder? Any one would think ATI and Valve have some kind of agreement together! Nah...

dr3amz said:
Valve have also stated that the X800 is the clear choice for HL2 for performance.

Sorta like the creators of Tomb Raider claime dthat it ran best on NV hardware when all benchmarks showed the FX boards getting slaughtered. :)

Diplo said:
dr3amz said:
probably not - early beta releases of the games don't really do much for anyone.
They certainly did a lot for ATI fans when the 9800 Pro was the clear winner, last round :)

Now why would they do that, I wonder? Any one would think ATI and Valve have some kind of agreement together! Nah...

funny, cos the nv30 beats the 9800 in some tests? :p

and of course valve would say that about ATI - but fact is, you know it's true. ;)

Ante P said:
dr3amz said:

Sorta like the creators of Tomb Raider claime dthat it ran best on NV hardware when all benchmarks showed the FX boards getting slaughtered. :)

yeah but valve aren't on the TWIMTBP program are they ;)

Ante P the creators were Core Design (based where I live) and the silly remarks were coming from Eidos (the publisher).

Sorry to nitpick but me likes Core Design. :D

the performance delta between the nv40 and the r420 in HL2 will likely be very small. Both these chips are monsters. Both of them double performance from the previous generation. This rapid advancement is just unheard of. As a '3d enthusiast' I've got a serious hard on for the way this industry outpaces all other tech sectors. Could you image if CPU performance doubled every every year? Or Hard Drive performance?

Kudos to both ATi and NVIDIA for pushing technology to the limit to bring us more framerates and better eye candy. I can't wait wait to be a good consumer whore and drop 500 on either one of these bad-asses.

joe emo said:
the performance delta between the nv40 and the r420 in HL2 will likely be very small. Both these chips are monsters. Both of them double performance from the previous generation. This rapid advancement is just unheard of. As a '3d enthusiast' I've got a serious hard on for the way this industry outpaces all other tech sectors. Could you image if CPU performance doubled every every year? Or Hard Drive performance?

Kudos to both ATi and NVIDIA for pushing technology to the limit to bring us more framerates and better eye candy. I can't wait wait to be a good consumer whore and drop 500 on either one of these bad-asses.

well it aint far off - in 2001 we were ranting over 1ghz processors...

Diplo said:

Or maybe they would say that because the X800 is just a considerably stronger contender when it comes to DX9 performance.

wondering what path the nv40 was using . Is it pulling a farcry and using an nv3x mixmode or even dx 8 path for this ?

Tahir said:
Ante P the creators were Core Design (based where I live) and the silly remarks were coming from Eidos (the publisher)

Yes. The developer was always telling us "the benchmark reflects the game performance, so whatever's best there is best for the game."

jvd said:
wondering what path the nv40 was using . Is it pulling a farcry and using an nv3x mixmode or even dx 8 path for this ?

As with some other people here, I'm pretty much ignoring Far Cry at this point, unti NV sort out all the graphical problems and start doing the DX9 path.

gordon said:
Or maybe they would say that because the X800 is just a considerably stronger contender when it comes to DX9 performance.
I doubt Valve have any idea how the X800 performs in DX9 games in general - how could they? The X800 may well be "stronger" (though "considerably" seems to be pushing it), but the reason Valve are backing it has nothing to do with that.

Seems to me that on most DX9 games, with Far Cry being the notable exception, the two cards perform pretty much the same. The X800 only pulls ahead when AA/AF is thrown into the equation at high-resolutions. In other words, most people probably wouldn't notice the difference.

The main advantage I see the X800 having is it's much more efficient power-consumption - that seems like the best point in it's favour. Personally I'm glad both cards have turned out to be impressive and roughly neck-and-neck. Once company trouncing the other is never good for the consumer.

Diplo said:
I doubt Valve have any idea how the X800 performs in DX9 games in general - how could they? The X800 may well be "stronger" (though "considerably" seems to be pushing it), but the reason Valve are backing it has nothing to do with that.

Do you think Gabe Newell is waiting in line at best buy to pick up an X800?

Back