Nvidia ATI Scrimmage first results

Re: Worth pointing out...

Qaz said:
Nvidia could have great technology but if they don't get yield, availability, pricing, and power right..

I still can't understand why we call this 'great' if they designed a 220+M trannies chip monster which can't run over 400-450MHz, can't be manufactured by normal yields, can't fit into an average machine, can't work with an average power supply, etc.

For me it's clearly a design issue. I simply can't understand why they do these bully, crappy, huge designs (NV3x, NV4x). As an engineer (though not ASIC designer) I think it's a bad approach, it's a bad design issue.
Dunno it was management or engineering department decision but definitely a bad decision as of now.
Seems to me they're gambling again... :rolleyes:

PS: I've noticed AW's funny pricing on Monday, immediately... LOL

Edit: typos

220+M trannies chip monster which can't run over 400-450MHz

it's the 3dfx in them, and the desperate need to have something BIG (in a different way
It's what they can/are able to do.

I find it odd that people compare clock rates but not die size, trannies. Are they counting them differently or not? If equal, huge difference => price/cost implications, if not, what is the comparable number?

so all of a sudden mhz is important because ati has more?

the nv40 IS great. 220m trannies with only a die size 9% lager then that of the r420.

It isn't transistors or MHz that counts. It's performance, and I don't care how its delivered (transistor, MHz, or both).

I will point out that the more transistors you have, the harder it is to get to the higher MHz.

I am also wondering if nV rushed the 6800 into production just to try and beat ATI, and as a result didn't get timing closure at a better target speed. So they took what they could get in order to start their launch processes.

I think getting the ultra high performance part running with decent power and heat specs is the biggest coup ATI has in this generation. The performance advantage doesn't hurt either. From an OEM perspective, I suspect the heat / power single slot profile is probaby an even bigger issue though.

In the non highest-end category though, I wonder how power-hungry / hot the non-ultra 6800 is.

Atomahawk said:
MSI going ATI ouch another blow for Nvidia. This is going to cut into sales again, who isn't on the wagon now?
What's new in this, we did know that. It seems that most IHVs want to have both offers.

plat said:

the nv40 IS great. 220m trannies with only a die size 9% lager then that of the r420.

This would probably matter more if they counted transistors the same way wouldn't it.

LS

Evildeus said:
Atomahawk said:
MSI going ATI ouch another blow for Nvidia. This is going to cut into sales again, who isn't on the wagon now?
What's new in this, we did know that. It seems that most IHVs want to have both offers.

Your right, makes sense competition wise between themselves, MSI was just a little slower than the rest. But I guess they couldn't buck the trend forever, and ATI was all to happy to oblige.

Things have changed in the business world, 10 years ago a distributor or supplier was happy with a 1 line of products that sold well, now they all want to sell everything and cut the balls off each other. And of course manufacturers want that so they increase their exposure. I would hate to have to deal with these accounts, imagine your selling to Asus and have the MSI account at the same time, shit must hit the fan sometimes.

plat said:

Excuse me?
Did you actually understand my post or just posting for fun?

:rolleyes:

Back