NVIDIA's Last Minute Effort - 6850

Stryyder said:
MuFu said:
Stryyder said:
Wow something smells rotten in Denmark

I think it's Fart Cry.

There's a rumour brewing in Scuttlebutt City that this run of 10,000 NV40s for nV will be IBM's last for the company (at least in the foreseable future).

Yeah the Inquirer had something about that with the source being an internal ATI memo if you can believe it.....

Didn't see that, sorry. :oops:

No comment re the last bit.

MuFu said:
There's a rumour brewing in Scuttlebutt City that this run of 10,000 NV40s for nV will be IBM's last for the company (at least in the foreseable future).

Eronarn points at IBM.

Look! A company with DIGNITY! :rolleyes:

MuFu said:

So who's dumping whom... is NV dumping IBM because of poor yield, or IBM dumping NV because of poor yield. :)

Translating the both the article about FartCry and ATI X800 Review clearly shows one thing to me . www.chiponline.de is extremely bias toward ATI. It is almost a joke reading the articles.

In alot of ways its worst than HardOCP and Driverheaven.

Do's someone have the readme file that came with 61.11 drivers and please post it. I read elsewhere that (Nvidia) said their were bugs (Farcry related) in the drivers that they are aware of. If this is the case we can deduct a few things about what Nvidia's real intentions are.

Natoma said:
We've been down this path before however. Nvidia already has a huge cloud over their company because of the cheats and "optimizations" they used with the NV3x generation. For their sake, you'd think they would stay away from something so blatant as exe naming.

Agreed on their past record.

The reason why this is a problem is because the level of trust in Nvidia's driver department is already sorely eroded due to their past shenanigans. And it's an even bigger problem because on its own, it looks like the 6800U is a pretty damn fine card. This just clouds the whole thing when it's unnecessary.

Again agreed. I just think it's one thing to be suspicious and another to call "BS" on a performance difference when there's no IQ comparison. I'm just advocating calm before rushing to conclusions.

On another matter, I'd also like to know how [H] can possibly be biased towards ATi. That's just nuts.

John Reynolds said:
1) had I been in Brandon's shoes, I wouldn't have created a separate review for the 6850 or GT parts. Not very professional at all to drop your publication's initial test scores of a new part on its day of public disclosure within a competitor's review, but I guess you gotta' keep your traffic volume high one way or the other.

2) I also would not have touched the 61.11s. How many reviewers are going to continue falling for this, year after year? If you don't have time to give a new driver drop from a competitor a fair analysis because you're crunched for time due to an NDA's expiration, you might not want to touch the driver. . .especially if you don't know whether or not said driver is ever going to be made available to the public. This is common sense, folks, not rocket science.

Tech Connect and Anandtech did the same. (still reading as I write this)

As I noted in another other thread....

PaulS said:
I still see Nvidia lagging in some DX9 intensive titles, which makes me wonder.

I suspect that after the next driver update from NVIDIA, it will be advantageous for someone to try and use some form of anti-detect on their drivers.

hstewarth said:
Translating the both the article about FartCry and ATI X800 Review clearly shows one thing to me . www.chiponline.de is extremely bias toward ATI. It is almost a joke reading the articles.

Wow I'll just take your word for it because you don't seem biased at all. ;)

And P.S. Kyle at Hard used to be the biggest NVIDIA fan and was slightly biased in their favor until they lied to him directly and pulled their NV30 Bullshit, he has then completely changed his review process to hopefully eliminate the possibility of being manipulated by either side.

Not only antidetect, but there should be extensive IQ comparison tests done too. And of course, all the graphics cards on hand should be tested.

Stryyder said:
hstewarth said:

Wow I'll just take your word for it because you don't seem biased at all. ;)

And P.S. Kyle at Hard used to be the biggest NVIDIA fan and was slightly biased in their favor until they lied to him directly and pulled their NV30 Bullshit, he has then completely changed his review process to hopefully eliminate the possibility of being manipulated by either side.

It just my impression of the site, the information provided by the reviews don't seam reliable to me. To me alot of this stuff with wars between ATI and NVidia are all BS - especially the stupid optimization and cheating stuff.

To me it fan being agains one vender and trying to bad mouth another vender when they do a good job. Would everyone like ( for example ) ATI to be the only GPU manufactor and NVidia completely drop out game card and concrentrated on what they do best - professional Open GL graphics. That would be bad thing, because this would mean with out NVidia ATI could increase the cost of there cards to extremely high levels and not much good can be done with that.

To me it is really hard to trust reviews from sites, because the information can be bias and further more by the time the card is in the store, things can change a lot.

So my take on this, pick the card that you like confurtable and not worry about what about some of BS about cheating and optimizations.. Both the 6800 and X800 will be faster than any card in the past - so it really doesn't matter much - except for bragging rights. Personally I pick NVidia for entirely different reason.. I do stuff with Profession 3D Graphics and NVidia cards are highly recommended in that field. I even though about the Quadro's series but in a lot of ways cards like 6800U is even better - unless you have the really expensive displays.

Of course like everything else in opinions - this is just my opinion.

meh.

App detection isn't bad for a game as long as it is rendering the images requested by the developer and producing satisfactory image quality.

That said why are idiots benching farcry with an unreleased driver set that comes with an extensive list of farcry bugs?

AlphaWolf said:
meh.

App detection isn't bad for a game as long as it is rendering the images requested by the developer and producing satisfactory image quality.

That said why are idiots benching farcry with an unreleased driver set that comes with an extensive list of farcry bugs?

Hehehe good question FarCry without fog should run a lot faster no?

AlphaWolf said:
meh.

I would like to know if nvidia pushed, or encouraged, reviewers to use the 61.11 set, knowing the bugs would give higher scores.

digitalwanderer said:
Stryyder said:
Kyle at Hard used to be the biggest NVIDIA fan and was slightly biased in their favor until they lied to him directly and pulled their NV30 Bullshit
"Slightly"? :|

Perhaps I did understate the nature of his earlier bias.

Well he did finally admit that he was getting manipulated which is one of the reasons I go to [H]ard now for info, he isn't too proud to admit he was wrong.

nvidia's defence for this is that it is to deal with a Z-culling bug with the drivers in FarCry and that they always have done and always will do such things at the introduction of new graphics chip series.

Let's see if the shipping drivers are clean (not that they should not have come clean with reviewers over this to remove suspicion).

Back