NVIDIA's Last Minute Effort - 6850

nelg

Veteran
From Anandtech

NVIDIA's Last Minute Effort
On the virge of ATI's R420 GPU launch, NVIDIA brought out a new card called the GeForce 6850 Ultra. This new card is to be sold as an OEM overclocked part (ala the "Golden Sample" and other such beasts), and will be able to run at 450MHz+ core and 1.1GHz+ memory clcok speeds. It is very clear to us getting this board out here right now was a bit of a rush for NVIDIA, and it would seem that they didn't expect to see the kind of performance ATI's X800 series can deliver. We were unable to get drivers installed and running on our 6850 Ultra card until about two hours ago, but we will be following this article up with an update to the data as soon as we are able to benchmark the card. The 6850 Ultra looks exactly the same as the 6800 Ultra (it really is the same card with an overclock), so we'll forego the pictures.

It's actually a pretty impressive card at times, far more gain than you'd perhaps expect from a reasonably small core jump. ~20fps gains are seen in a couple of places, and it does really bite into the XT at times.

Hehe soon we will need same rules than for cars competitions. If you produce less than x thousands of a card, you can't compete with :)

I think Extremetech says it best:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1583566,00.asp

Merriam-Webster definition of invidious: tending to cause discontent, animosity, or envy.

This is a preview of ATI's latest GPU. But we're struck by nVidia's not-so-subtle attempt to rain on ATI's parade by abruptly delivering two new cards and a new driver – al at the last possible minute. It's an additional irony that we're testing four nVidia cards and only three ATI cards in this preview of ATI's X800.

All of this last-minute scrambling reminds me of the tag-line from Barry Levinson's brilliant movie Wag the Dog: "What do you do? You change the story." By saddling analysts with these cards and a new driver at the last minute, nVidia tried to deflect the focus from ATI's launch. Perhaps the biggest irony of all is that the new "emergency edition" 6800 didn't really change the story much.

NVidia stated that it simply moved up the roll-out of two speed-binned SKUs to show that the 6800 GPU family would run even with or best ATI's latest greatest in benchmark tests. Unfortunately, it also makes nVidia appears desperate; whether the company is simply desperate for attention or truly worried about the competition is hard to tell.

FiringSquad is just ATROCIOUS. Beyond Belief. They don't even have an X800 P/REVIEW. Their article is titled NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme and 6800 GT. Included in the review are X800 benchmarks. Seriously! Are they actually going to do a separate X800 review, or is that it?

Grrr.... o_O

Pretty frustrating, because this kind of thing really detracts from the fact that the NV40 is a very impressive graphics card in its own right.

PatrickL said:
Maybe they did not have a card in time for their review ?

I repeat they included X800 benchmarks in the nVidia 'panic mode' review.. ;) So they obviousy have a card...

I have to assume they have a separate X800 review coming at some point. But to post the nvidia article when the ATI NDA expires and not the ATI one? Don't you think it'd be prudent to actually finish the X800 article first before moving on to some other cards that won't be available until well after the X800 variants?

MuFu said:
Grrr.... o_O

Pretty frustrating, because this kind of thing really detracts from the fact that the NV40 is a very impressive graphics card in its own right.

I agree.

nVidia just can't leave well enough alone...and certain web sites seem more than willing to play along. It really does make nVidia look desparate to throw out what only can be perceived as "reactionary" cards..."geee...uh, our last ones aren't good enough...here's some new SKUs that will ship "sometime in the future."

I really think they are out PRing themselves....

It seems the marketing guys at nV responsible for previous debacles were not fired ... the engineers must be pissed.

Well that about does it for me.......

.....Firingsquad sold out so no more Firingsquad reading for me.

NVDA is cheap as shit with their hacks and manipulations so they can kiss my ass as well.

I won't do business with them again unless forced to.

Just sold all my NVDA shares because they have some problems with their company. They lie, cheat, distort, manipulate, and persuade others by money to do their dishonest bidding.

Nvidia you SUCK!

Tune in next week for the head to head shoot out between the X800 Xtra ultra XT XTreme mega 2 card vs the GF FX 6899.9999999 Mega ultra red card of doom ( remeber cards go faster :p we all learnt that back at NV30 vs R300 ).

Life would be so much easier if the heavens just happened to fall on the NV and ATI marketing departments :/.

bloodbob said:
Life would be so much easier if the heavens just happened to fall on the NV and ATI marketing departments :/.
Isn't that true for all marketing departments? ;)

Well the NVDA Graphics group has really disappointed me with their tactics over the last 18 Months, I would be hard pressed to reward that company with a purchase of mine and would only do so if they clearly produced a part that trounced their competition. As it stands now Even if at the end of the day the cards break even or slightly better ATI my money goes to ATI.

This however will not stop me from reluctantly purchasing an NFORCE 3 250 Motherboard as they have not done any of the bullshit marketing stunts in that division of the company and they clearly offer a better solution than VIA for me.

nVidia wanna bring forth another card; let them bring it.
ATi wanna do the same, bring it on.

As long as neither have an MSRP higher than $499 for the top card in their line, it can only mean that we'll get the other cards cheaper, sooner.

though, my wallet aside; nVidia are being a bunch of Twats, they have an amazing product on their hands, but, with all this marketing bull, and on this particular day, let alone week, they are just bringing themselves further down in the eyes of their customers, wasn't last year bad enough in tarnishing their name....? I don't think they'll be happy until they completely destroy themselves... :rolleyes:

to be honest, I don't know what product I'm going to go for, it will come down to who can give me the best for the price, I am very much liking the Video capabilities of the GF6, and I have only started reading the reviews of the X800, I hope they can offer the same sort of features. that is a very enticing feature set to have.

Anyone that has been following Nvidias footsteps for the past 18 months knew they would pull crap out of the hat, they are desperate now and will use every loyal supporter they have to push the agenda. And those supporters will act like the whores that they are and spoon feed Nvidia's bull.

One good thing about the whole thing, you now know who the whores are.

Atomahawk said:
Anyone that has been following Nvidias footsteps for the past 18 months knew they would pull crap out of the hat, they are desperate now and will use every loyal supporter they have to push the agenda. And those supporters will act like the whores that they are and spoon feed Nvidia's bull.

One good thing about the whole thing, you now know who the whores are.

So you read the Tom's Hardware review then, they are so disappointed that ATI didn't do 'anything new or revolutionary' Too bad they forgot to be disappointed about how bad the NV30 sucked balls.

Back