NVIDIA 60.72 Fiasco

Maintank said:
You know I came to this board for some good old honest mature conversation about GPU technologies.

Seriously, then, I suggest you don't start posts with "some people need to get a life." That's not particularly conducive to "honest, mature conversation about GPU technologies."

Maintank said:
Let me guess what happens if htey come out and shit is still broken:
you and the other nVidia apologists blame it on immature drivers, and tell us to wait some more.
I mean, come on.

You know I came to this board for some good old honest mature conversation about GPU technologies. I have been here 2 weeks and offer my opinions on things and every single time somebody whose political agenda seems to coincide with ATI doesnt like what I have to say it is I am an Nvidiot.
Actually he called you an NVIDIA apologist that is a different category, Also one could make the observation that your opinions have been slightly biased in NVIDIA's favor without the back up to support them.

I really thought this msgboard would be different but it appears this place is also overrun with fanbois from both sides although decidedly in ATIs favor. Such a shame. But please do show me where I am really siding with once manufacturer. I will call like I see it and if you dont like it that hardly qualifies me as somebody who is on Nvidias side. And if you think me pointing out that these are beta drivers qualifies me as a fanbois then maybe you need to sit back and think about just how close you really feel to a piece of hardware.
This message board is different and tolerant of both sides plus it has very knowledgable people here if you fail to see it's merits spend some time at NVNEWS or Rage3d and see what I mean.

If the retail drivers come out with the same problems then we all need to get to the bottom of it. But chances are they wont have the issues and todays little bickerfest will mean nothing except to qwell the fears of a few select fanbois.

Based on history the retail drivers either will have problems or will not have the same performance levels as the beta drivers, NVIDIA has done this twice now and I believe noone here would be supprised if it happened again. Ignoring the history would be unwise, however if this is not the case then I guess you would be correct and we would have been over cautious.

Both vendors put out a very good part this round personally I would rather not buy an NVIDIA part after the NV30 fiasco and bullshit but if they have a couple of rounds of good parts with no bullshit, or just no bullshit then I would consider purchasing from them again, as to their other technologies I will be purchasing an NFORCE 3 Motherboard next week as they seem to have no bullshit associated.

Joe DeFuria said:
Maintank said:
You know I came to this board for some good old honest mature conversation about GPU technologies.

Seriously, then, I suggest you don't start posts with "some people need to get a life." That's not particularly conducive to "honest, mature conversation about GPU technologies."

God I hate cheerleaders. Always ready with an excuse/rationale for their favorite team, while constantly taking jabs at the other side. Of course when their behaviour is pointed out, "It's only a game,It's only a card" is their cry, implying that it is somehow "you" who is at fault.

Maintank,
PLEASE USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION WHEN QUOTING PEOPLE. READING ITALICS IS ABOUT AS COMFORTABLE AS READING ALL CAPS. ;)

Actually he called you an NVIDIA apologist that is a different category, Also one could make the observation that your opinions have been slightly biased in NVIDIA's favor without the back up to support them.

Well I dont see much ATI bashing going on here to warrant me to show support for them :)

Wouldnt matter how I start off a post. I will get the same ATI cheerleading crowd to chime in with the same old same old song and dance.

Maintank,
PLEASE USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION WHEN QUOTING PEOPLE. READING ITALICS IS ABOUT AS COMFORTABLE AS READING ALL CAPS.

Gotcha ;D

Maintank said:
You know I came to this board for some good old honest mature conversation about GPU technologies. I have been here 2 weeks and offer my opinions on things and every single time somebody whose political agenda seems to coincide with ATI doesnt like what I have to say it is I am an Nvidiot.

I really thought this msgboard would be different but it appears this place is also overrun with fanbois from both sides although decidedly in ATIs favor. Such a shame. But please do show me where I am really siding with once manufacturer. I will call like I see it and if you dont like it that hardly qualifies me as somebody who is on Nvidias side. And if you think me pointing out that these are beta drivers qualifies me as a fanbois then maybe you need to sit back and think about just how close you really feel to a piece of hardware.

If the retail drivers come out with the same problems then we all need to get to the bottom of it. But chances are they wont have the issues and todays little bickerfest will mean nothing except to qwell the fears of a few select fanbois.
You know, you've done nothing but cheerlead for nVidia since day one here, so don't feed me this crap.
And in this particular thread, you ARE playing the nVidia apologist. If you dont like the label, don't do the deed.
I am hardly an ATI "fanboi" - I am against crappy company behavior, and right now that means that I "like" (as in would prefer to purchase from) a certain company (because i feel that the only way to ensure corporate ethics is to vote with your wallet). That hardly makes me a "fanboi" of theirs. In fact, if you had a clue, you'd know that there are several things i don't like about ATI's chips as compared to nVidias.

my comments towards you were directed at this statement by you:

Some of you people really need to get a life.

Beta drivers anyone?
Next time Microsoft releases a Beta of their OS are you going to jump down their throats if something doesnt work correctly on an unreleased version of their software?

So what happens in a month when the final drivers come out with the problem gone? Let me guess you dont say anything.
You make a totally flawed comparison to MS - and, fail to note that YES, people do jump down Microsofts throats when there are issues with beta products.
Then you assume the driver problems will be gone without even allowing the possiblity that they will not.

And, per your terrible opening line....and your later claim to want a "mature" conversation....

This messageboard could be different, but people like you show up and can't even admit their bias, and complain about some imaginary nonexistent alternate bias.

Althornin said:
Let me guess what happens if htey come out and shit is still broken:
you and the other nVidia apologists blame it on immature drivers, and tell us to wait some more.
I mean, come on.
Waiting=not buying now. What's wrong with that?

wow people are still missing the point. the point is that nVidia was having reviewers use beta drivers and post benchmark scores when the benchmark is being run improperly. Beta drivers are expected to be buggy, but if they are then they have no buisiness being used in reviews!

Do NV and ATI actually tell websites what benchmarks to use? Just asking... I honestly wasn't aware of this if its true.

ninelven said:
Do NV and ATI actually tell websites what benchmarks to use? Just asking... I honestly wasn't aware of this if its true.
sometimes, yes. they also tell them what drivers to use. now, of course, the reviewers dont HAVE to follow the IHV guidelines but sometimes that might make them less of a priority in getting a card to... like, say, getting pushed back a month of so....

In the past, Nvidia asked some websites not to run certain benchmarks.

Hardocp recieved the 61.11 drivers and were asked to use them, but they refused, they knew what Nvidia was up to, and they make it policy to use drivers that all can get. They may pay for that decision later on, but what other choice do they have? Kudos for that decision.

Atomahawk said:
Hardocp recieved the 61.11 drivers and were asked to use them, but they refused, they knew what Nvidia was up to, and they make it policy to use drivers that all can get. They may pay for that decision later on, but what other choice do they have? Kudos for that decision.

If thats true then they deserve a well-done for that.
They(NV) may not like it, but from what I understand ( now I do NOT have first hand knowledge) they had it coming.

Plus it just makes sense to use available drivers, someone else ( Anand or Tom) stated they wouldn't use non-available drivers anymore awhile back after the tested drivers either never made it to market or were very late.

I may be wrong on that, but I remember something along those lines...
I didn't even read their reviews, so I don't know exactly what driverset they used this time.

Maintank said:

Well I dont see much ATI bashing going on here to warrant me to show support for them :)

Wouldnt matter how I start off a post. I will get the same ATI cheerleading crowd to chime in with the same old same old song and dance.

Maintank,
PLEASE USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION WHEN QUOTING PEOPLE. READING ITALICS IS ABOUT AS COMFORTABLE AS READING ALL CAPS.

Gotcha ;D

There's no such place in the net where everyone would be just discussing without taking their own favorite company point of view. You, certainly have made it clear that your favourite is nVidia as strongly as I used to fight for my favourites. (which are far from ATI and nVidia) if you want mature GPU discussion, here's few rules that I learned a hard way: (don't expect those topics gather huge amount of ppl talking and be prepared for guys that know a waaaayy much more than you do and discussion might turn out to be a one where you don't understand a damn thing.)

Nappe's Rules for technical B3D posting.
1. NEVER mention any company names on topic. (usually starts a flame wars.)
2. ALWAYS discuss on algorithm level or on ASIC design level. (remember rule number one: NO company names, unless you are 100% sure it won't offend any participators.)
3. RESPECT the others. Try to find good sides and technically advantages from competitors sollutions. ALSO, try to find the worst weak points on your favorite.
4. REMEMBER that there's no such thing as perfect implementation. you can always tweak it more.
5. NO for insider info. if you get insider info, from upcoming products, respect your source. they most likely have taken the great risk by revealing something they shouldn't, so be extremely careful when discussing things you should not know. Also remember that your source might be outdated or wrong. (always do the "cross blind check" if possible.)

EDIT: Also remember that these forums do have some really great guys, though some of them don't want to be revealed who they are. I know at least 2 guys here that have been actually part of Dx8 level GPU design team (one as AntiAliasing design / algorithm fixing and the other as rasterizer engine designer.), but they do not make any big number on it, most likely because projects were done by "non-mainstream" companies.

Back