rumblings of something huge going on with SEGA

Sonic said:
Game gear is considered a failure on SEGA's part, so it is not the only portable to successfully go aganst the Gameboy.

Yea but the nomad was the best portable system ever made .

If sega could produce a dreamcast portable and launch it with most of the sega dreamcast library including shenmue i think it would sell well . Esp if they can launch at half the price of the psp

jvd said:
If sega could produce a dreamcast portable and launch it with most of the sega dreamcast library including shenmue i think it would sell well . Esp if they can launch at half the price of the psp

You have to remember that the home Dreamcast didn't sell that well in the first place. The only thing a portable DC would have over the home version is portability. And it's not like making a portable DC would have the developers that abandoned the home DC in the first place clamoring to come back to a portable version.

One of the foundational strengths any platform can be measured with (portable or not) is access to an existing library of games. Portable DC vs. portable PS2 (PSP) is a laughable contest in this regard.

Fox5 said:
Who could it be? Sony stands well enough alone.
Microsoft could use the help, don't want a repeat of the xbox's controller afterall, but microsoft seems to have their hardware fairly set as well.
Wouldn't it be interesting if sega talked nintendo into going powervr instead of ATI? Nintendo may have a good relationship with ati, but powervr seems to fit nintendo's plans better, actual high performance relatively cheap graphics chip for handhelds already available and they could probably produce a cheap yet competitive console chip as well...I don't know how nintendo feels about having essentially the same hardware as microsoft but less powerful....(actually, that might not be a bad thing for them, developers would do tons of quick ports to nintendo's system just to make an extra buck....a crappy port may be better than no port at all......nah, that just gives a system a bad reputation, better for a system to be known for its quality than the amount of ports it gets)

Well, I think from a software perspective, if this rumor were true it would have to be Nintendo or Microsoft. Which of those two it would be however, would be a toss-up as far as I can tell.

Sega has produced quite a few really good exclusives for Microsoft. However, most of them have flopped. Still, Sega does seem to be pretty cozy with them.

Sega's exclusive's on Nintendo, on the other hand, have probably been fewer in number, but have sold significantly better. In addition, Nintendo really needs an exclusive sports line, which Sega could provide. At the same time, I can see Nintendo in particular being rather priggish about the idea of working with Sega, thinking they can do it all on their own.

Conclusion: I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait.

You wouldn't be able to play your DC games on a portable, unless it ends up being as big as a portable DVD player. No one is going to buy old DC games on flash media...

My guess is that we'll see some SEGA icons like Sonic the Hedgehog combined with a Mario game or Super Smash Brothers followup.

Concerning their hardware for arcades I could see SEGA embracing XNA to allow for cost effective porting.

hmmh... How about big co-operational partner that has lots of lots of lots of lots of cash and really wants penetrate on portable market but has almost zero experience from gaming side?

Last time I checked, Nokia did have around 9 billion (9 000 000 000 ) Euros cash...

PC-Engine said:
You wouldn't be able to play your DC games on a portable, unless it ends up being as big as a portable DVD player. No one is going to buy old DC games on flash media...

I was already making the assumption that the portable DC would use a different medium as the idea of using the current GDROMs is beyond nonsensical.

Ty said:
PC-Engine said:

I was already making the assumption that the portable DC would use a different medium as the idea of using the current GDROMs is beyond nonsensical.

So you propose consumers buy and play the same old DC games all over again?

The most suprising would be going with Sony. More likely with Nintendo and most likely with Microsoft "relative speaking" .
But as someone said the hardware for Xbox2 seem´s pretty solid already and the same for PS3, that leaves Nintendo that haven´t reaveled anything "almost" about their next gen machine. The info about co-develop hardware and the PVR5-series that Sega licensed strikes me the most. Because Nintendo has a deal with ATI but maybe that is for a "handheld" maybe.
And by the way i don´t know nothing about Sammy and their buisnesmodel besides that they are "with" Sega, please inform me, hehe.

What makes people automatically presume that Sega involvment with a Nintendo console automatically equals "ATI=Out, PowerVR=In"? I mean, Sega once had a good working relationship with nvidia too, why couldn't it change in another generation?

PC-Engine said:
Ty said:
PC-Engine said:

Hasn't it worked for Nintendo so far with the Gameboys? Granted, the games aren't exactly the same and there are new ones mixed in, but don't you think it would be the same way for a hypthetical portable Dreamcast?

Nappe1 said:
hmmh... How about big co-operational partner that has lots of lots of lots of lots of cash and really wants penetrate on portable market but has almost zero experience from gaming side?

Last time I checked, Nokia did have around 9 billion (9 000 000 000 ) Euros cash...

Sega has developed for Nokia before, and Nokia does need experience which Sega could bring. However, the day Sega goes exclusive to Nokia is the day I laugh myself into the grave.

Clashman wrote

What makes people automatically presume that Sega involvment with a Nintendo console automatically equals "ATI=Out, PowerVR=In"? I mean, Sega once had a good working relationship with nvidia too, why couldn't it change in another generation?

In my case it would be because i want a damn consol with a PVR5-series chipset based of a Naomi3 Arcade hardware. ;)

keegdsb said:
PC-Engine said:
Ty said:
PC-Engine said:

Hasn't it worked for Nintendo so far with the Gameboys? Granted, the games aren't exactly the same and there are new ones mixed in, but don't you think it would be the same way for a hypthetical portable Dreamcast?

It works for Nintendo because GBA is cheap and they already have 6 billion in cash. DC portable will NOT be cheap because SEGA cannot afford to loose money on hardware. No one will buy a $150-$200 portable to play old DC games.

jvd said:
Sonic said:
Game gear is considered a failure on SEGA's part, so it is not the only portable to successfully go aganst the Gameboy.

Yea but the nomad was the best portable system ever made .

Nomad wasn't quite portable the way even the original gameboy was....seriously the thing was like 2 pounds(with batteries), sega 32x size(bigger than psone), and drained batteries in about an hour or two.
Plus, it's not even the most powerful handheld, anyway you slice it gameboy advance is more powerful. Gameboy advance exceeds genesis in probably ever capability(and may have a higer res screen than nomad, certainly less blurry), and exceeds snes in most, only when the snes is pushed to its limit by the gba not keep up, and that could just be because the same kind of attention is not paid to the gba.(though fx chip effects and higher quality sound seem to be able to bring the gba down, but fx chip wasn't part of the stock snes, so gba probably would beat the snes in everything just based on the base hardware)

Why not? Nintendo does it with GBA and NES games.

It works for Nintendo because GBA is cheap and they already have 6 billion in cash. DC portable will NOT be cheap because SEGA cannot afford to loose money on hardware. No one will buy a $150-$200 portable to play old DC games.

Why couldn't it be $100? DC tech is 6 years old now, and MBX is pretty much a portable neon250.... dc I think was down to $50 breaking even by the end of its life(2002), in 2005 they could probably make dc for sub $20 and without the gd drive the dc would have already been almost handheld size.(at least as portable as a nomad)

Clashman said:
Nappe1 said:

Sega has developed for Nokia before, and Nokia does need experience which Sega could bring. However, the day Sega goes exclusive to Nokia is the day I laugh myself into the grave.

well, I was actually thinking something deeper than just exclusive game design deal... what Nokia needs is gaming console knowledge and contacts to companies that do different IP fittable in hand held gaming console. Imagine gaming console, that would have Sega's design general hardware using PowerVR MBX or similar accelerator and Nokia's knowledge on wireles networks and cellular stuff. when we add Sega as major SDK developer and their contacts to different game developing houses, what we would get? Plus all the massive amount of manufacturing power that Nokia has.

I'd say that it could be something... (it has been stated that SEGA themselves do not have resources to make comeback on consoles, but how about if they would have Nokia's money, manufacturing and expertise on wireless connections as a partner?)

of course this is just a product of imagination, but it could be possible.

If the unthinkable happens, by Nintendo and Sega doing a console together, it most probably would be ATI based, not PowerVR based.
ATI has proven current gen and pretty much proven next-generation hardware roadmap. from R3xx series, to the upcoming R420, to the future R500 and R600 lines. PowerVR *might* have Series 5 coming, but how good it is, remains to be seen. I love PowerVR back when they were pushing the state of the art with Series 2, but now I would have ATI as my first choice. perhaps PowerVR would be more desirable for handheld graphics.

Why couldn't it be $100? DC tech is 6 years old now, and MBX is pretty much a portable neon250.... dc I think was down to $50 breaking even by the end of its life(2002), in 2005 they could probably make dc for sub $20 and without the gd drive the dc would have already been almost handheld size.(at least as portable as a nomad)

I need to smoke some of that wacky sh*t you've been smokin...

OTOH MS's upcoming iPod killer could be a good candidate for MBX and games from SEGA.

Back