Screenshots of Doom3 Xbox (No scans)

cybamerc said:
Guden Oden:

> So you think they're going to re-write the entire engine and all of the
> game content?

Um... they're certainly doing a lot of work on it. The graphics engine is being converted to D3D and many (all?) of the assets have to be reworked.

Even with M$' help it's well below the PC version in terms of graphics. The lighting has taken a huge hit. So has the textures. Chronicles of Riddick which uses a Doom 3 type renderer looks much better (on Xbox).

This is the problem with bump-mapping: lower the texture quality a bit and it is a niiiice blurry mess and you lose the detail.

Plus it looks like they reduced the number of polygons in characters even further and reduced the quality of the lighting and the result is not ugly per se, but it is certainly not even close to DOOM 3 on PC and again it is not even close to be the best looking Xbox game ever made either.

Check this shot:

ME0000441757_2.jpg

Where the hell is the self-shadowing?

Eagle-Vision:

> Where the hell is the self-shadowing?

Characters don't always self-shadow in the PC version either. IIRC, the flash light doesn't cast a shadow at all in the alpha. But no doubt, that the number of shadow casting lights has been reduced in the Xbox version.

embargiel said:
I'm sorry if I misread it.

No problem. :D
And maybe i should have been a little more precise about what J.carmack said.

And Guden,
i'm sure that a lot of the code is intact and unchanged but... The Developers of Vicarious Vision are publicly taking the merit for the engine on the Xbox, so if the game rocks... they rules, if it has flaw they have to responds of their work.
Even if we suppose that they do not make the bigger part of the work, in the facts they are claiming acontrario that they're actually doing the best part of the engine, i didn't put the burden on them.
They clearly saying that, if someone has to be thanked for that work, this someone is them (VV), so the corollary is that they are also the ones that have to take the criticism (if there's is something to critize, off course.)
:D

pc999 said:
Yous eyes and the light are almost the same source so you only can see areas iluminated by yourself

If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to see the shadow on the wall either.

Anyway, here's another example:

ME0000441752_2.jpg

The shadow of the crate should be projected on the spider, but it isn't.

Eagle-Vision said:
pc999 said:
Yous eyes and the light are almost the same source so you only can see areas iluminated by yourself

If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to see the shadow on the wall either.
The shadow of the crate should be projected on the spider, but it isn't.

1 the shadow is bigger than he.
2 you are right about the spider

I realy hope that the work a lot more in this game.[/quote]

Well, shoot. I think the game looks nice!

Frankly, few console games this gen have really knocked my socks off. So I guess when I see something like this, I think, "Hey, not bad."

Personally, I'm excited for this to hit Xbox. Doom 3 from my living room couch - all right!

Didn't I read somewhere that the aim with the PC version was to keep it locked at 60fps across all configurations, and the detail scales up/down to suit?

Would be nice if that also applied to the Xbox version. I'm so tired of 30fps games.

Ug Lee said:
Didn't I read somewhere that the aim with the PC version was to keep it locked at 60fps across all configurations, and the detail scales up/down to suit?

Would be nice if that also applied to the Xbox version. I'm so tired of 30fps games.

I think it was 30fps... And even then, who would want a game that looks like Q3 (once u set all options to "low") today? Whether people like it or not, if they want to play Doom3, they'll have to upgrade, or all they'll get is the same old game from ID... What's the point of buying D3 if you cant see all the goodies? That's probably gonna be the only good thing about the game!

(Ok sorry for the anti-ID rant)

i know a lot of people who play far cry on a midrange cpu and gfmx440 /geforce2 videocard.

a LOT of people won't see the visual Q of the game as it should be .(and that count's for most games actually)
most mainstream people don't want to buy a 200euro+ card to see max details

hey69 said:
i know a lot of people who play far cry on a midrange cpu and gfmx440 /geforce2 videocard.

a LOT of people won't see the visual Q of the game as it should be .(and that count's for most games actually)
most mainstream people don't want to buy a 200euro+ card to see max details

Then they should stick to games that are actually fun to play. Not sayinf D3 won't be, but i'm not raising my expectations too high. If it turns out to be a good GAME (the ones u play, not only look at), then i'll be happy... But i'm skeptical. Now, if we want to start talking about HL2...

But i'm skeptical. Now, if we want to start talking about HL2...

I agree with that.Even if HL2 is probably a hoax 8) :devilish:

The D3 engine aslo doesn't survive much to "scaling down" of features.It goes from kick ass to ugly very rapidly....

_phil_ said:

The D3 engine aslo doesn't survive much to "scaling down" of features.It goes from kick ass to ugly very rapidly....

My point exactly. I tried to see how FarCry looks on Medium settings (or Low, cant remember) and it looks like a DC game with even lower res textures... Not really the reason one would buy the game. Same goes for D3 and any future games...

london-boy said:
_phil_ said:

My point exactly. I tried to see how FarCry looks on Medium settings (or Low, cant remember) and it looks like a DC game with even lower res textures... Not really the reason one would buy the game. Same goes for D3 and any future games...

I remember running Half Life in software mode... But ugly :LOL:

london-boy said:
_phil_ said:

I remember running Half Life in software mode... Butt ugly :LOL:

probably low, FC on mediumish (ie put water and lighting on high), is clearly running on an DC+ quality/effects/fillInGapHere.

london-boy said:
I tried to see how FarCry looks on Medium settings (or Low, cant remember) and it looks like a DC game with even lower res textures...

Umm London, either your glasses are even more rose-colored when looking back at old DC games than Lazy's, but farcry on medium settings doesn't look ANYTHING like a DC game. :)

I've no idea what it looks like when everything's set to low, but at medium there's no comparison at all, it totally spanks anything on the DC so bad it's not even funny.

Back