New D3D FSAA Viewer

ChrisRay said:
Anyway. Any other opinions about this? I'm sorry I'm quite curious about the new AA, first few impression seems to say it sucks. :?

Well perhaps we should wait for official support before we rule it out.

Nice to know the program is 'sort of' working as expected. Probably going to make a few tweaks still though. :)

The '3x temporal' mode are probably never going to work too well. Nice idea, but the frequency is just too low. The 2x modes should work fairly well IF the rendering speed stays at the same rate as refresh. So it probably would be more useful for older games than newer ones.

I don't think 2x works too well on LCDs either. You need a refresh rate much higher than 60Hz. Probably a CRT at 90-110 with framerate locked at those rates would be good.

Ante P said:
ChrisRay said:
Anyway. Any other opinions about this? I'm sorry I'm quite curious about the new AA, first few impression seems to say it sucks. :?

Well perhaps we should wait for official support before we rule it out.

I agree, I'll wait for first official support. But first hand impressions can somewhat prepare me :)

Hmm ... i'm unsure to say but at 100-150Hz it looks quite ... good...

i tried play to play Joint Operations (1024x768 / 1280x1024) and UT2004 (1280x960) with it enabled and i dont have problems ...

it seems to look better ...

Colourless said:
Nice to know the program is 'sort of' working as expected. Probably going to make a few tweaks still though. :)

The '3x temporal' mode are probably never going to work too well. Nice idea, but the frequency is just too low. The 2x modes should work fairly well IF the rendering speed stays at the same rate as refresh. So it probably would be more useful for older games than newer ones.

Any idea why the r200's AA sample pattern does not show up in your viewer? it used too. But newer programs and drivers I get nothing in the viewer.

martrox said:
DX9 only?

Eh it worked with my Geforce 4 Ti..., It also worked with my 9500 Pro, And also works with Super Sampling modes on Nvidia hardware. So it cant because its pure super sampling..

Tried it on my 9800 and in 4X AA it works very good in UT2004, my hz was blocked on 60 but it still worked without glitches.

On farcry it was harder because now and then a frame turned up completely black and caused flickers

Anyway. Nice find!

101 said:
bloodbob said:
*bloodbob Hugs his 18X AA
I think 18x is an awfully strong term for 6xAA w/3 sample patterns
Well, it is effectively that for nonmoving images at high framerates.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time enabling this. What drivers will this work on? (using Cat 4.4) And could somebody who got it to work please post a shot that shows all relevant registry settings? Or a registry file?

Edit:
By the way, this algorithm would probably look pretty terrible unless VSYNC is enabled.

incurable said:
*making up clever plans to -errr- borrow *cough* the RV360 from my nephews PC later today*
I thought the RV cards didn't have programmable sample patterns.

Yes, for a perfectly still image, it would essentially be equivalent to the app submitting geometry 3 times and doing accumulation buffer AA -- except -- no blending is being done. It's relying on the human eye to do the downsample, and that requires high refresh rates. 90-120Hz would essentially be equivalent to 12xAA at 45-60Hz. Of course, how many games can run rocksolid locked at 90-120Hz at reasonable resolutions?

So we enable it by adding some new dwords to the registry and rebooting. There won't be any new options under control panel or nothing, it should just work after the registry tweaking?

incurable said:
The Baron said:
incurable said:
*making up clever plans to -errr- borrow *cough* the RV360 from my nephews PC later today*
I thought the RV cards didn't have programmable sample patterns.
They don't? :oops: Damn! :cry:

What the? that really surprised me actually that they would hard code the patterns into the chip.

digitalwanderer said:
So we enable it by adding some new dwords to the registry and rebooting. There won't be any new options under control panel or nothing, it should just work after the registry tweaking?

Yeap you have to do something to reload the direct3d drivers such as changing an option in the control panel ( for ATI D3D ) and appling the new settings unlike opengl the registry enteries aren't run at the game load time.

Back