ATi unveil R420

RussSchultz said:
3Dc better have significant advantages over the current compression if it wants traction.

Who got the X-box 2 contract, if the compression is as good as rumours say..then you can possibly see why besides the popular 'ATI took out 500 million to seduce M$' :LOL:

Doomtrooper said:
RussSchultz said:
3Dc better have significant advantages over the current compression if it wants traction.

Who got the X-box 2 contract, if the compression is as good as rumours say..then you can possibly see why besides the popular 'ATI took out 500 million to seduce M$' :LOL:
Not sure whats funny about what you said.

But ignoring that, what do "rumours say"?

No, that wasn't what you were saying.

You were sniggling about the xbox2 contract, and pointing to "the rumours".

And that somehow is a response to saying that a new compression algorithm requires significant improvements over the industry standard one or it won't gain any traction--regardless of it being open source or not?

Umm No, for the past two weeks I've read how the R420 would not be competetive with the 6800U. Well alot of these view points were always looking at brute force implementations, memory speed, core speed, pipelines. No one ever looked at 'other ways'.

Mind reading is not your fortay.

Doomtrooper said:
Umm No, for the past two weeks I've read how the R420 would not be competetive with the 6800U. Well alot of these view points were always looking at brute force implementations, memory speed, core speed, pipelines. No one ever looked at 'other ways'.

Mind reading is not your fortay.
Making sense isn't yours, apparently.

Um no what?

How is that a response to a new texture format/compression algorithm needing to be a leap the current industry standard for it to gain traction?

What does any of that have to do with reading that the R420 won't be competitive--which wasn't even suggested by anything I said.

Why would it have to be open source to be accepted ? Microsoft licensed S3TC , they also licensed PS 1.1 or nfiniteFX II from Nvidia for X-box 1.
I make sense just fine.

Doomtrooper said:
Why would it have to be open source to be accepted ? Microsoft licensed S3TC , they also licensed PS 1.1 or nfiniteFX II from Nvidia for X-box 1.
I make sense just fine.
Now you're really not making sense.

I stated a compression algorithm had to be a considerable step forward to gain traction over the industry standard. Open source wasn't enough, as shown by FXTC.

And you started talking about XBOX contracts and laughing.

Most puzzling.

RussSchultz said:
Doomtrooper said:
I make sense just fine.

I stated a compression algorithm had to be a considerable step forward to gain traction over the industry standard. Open source wasn't enough, as shown by FXTC.

Most puzzling.

XBOX! :LOL: *slaps knee*

DemoCoder said:
Register combiners formed the foundation of DX8, and shadow buffers do get used in a few games (such as Splinter Cell), more heavily on the XBox. If ATI had supported them, you'd see alot more usage. They're gonna be in OpenGL2.0
Shadow buffers seem to be a weird situation. They -are- supported by the R3xx series in OpenGL, but apparently not in DirectX? Perhaps it's related to NVidia's render-depth-to-texture extension that ATI doesn't support. . . There are other methods for dumping the depth buffer into a texture, though -- at least in OpenGL. . .

Mulciber said:
RussSchultz said:
Doomtrooper said:
I make sense just fine.

Most puzzling.

XBOX! :LOL: *slaps knee*

Xbox !? rumor? launghing?
Yeah, why?
Doomtrooper are there something funny about xbox contract that we didn't already know?

Xbox :LOL: hahahaha :?

Ostsol said:
Shadow buffers seem to be a weird situation. They -are- supported by the R3xx series in OpenGL, but apparently not in DirectX?

I believe they are supported via a "back door" in DX that came across through the XBox.

As for 3Dc, wait a little. Its not a general compression scheme.

The R3xx series doesn't support shadow "buffers" (I have no idea where that name came from by the way, they've been called shadow maps since forever) natively, neither in D3D nor OpenGL. They use a 32 bit floating point texture and do the comparison in the fragment shader.

Nvidia have supported native depth textutres since the GeForce3 and perform the comparison with dedicated hardware *before* filtering. This means that nvidia have properly percentage closer filtered shadow maps for the cost of a texture lookup and ATI has aliased shadow maps for the same cost. If you want to, you can get properly filtered sghadow maps on ATi for a huge cost, you need to do all filtering in fragment shader yourself.

RussSchultz said:
Doomtrooper said:
I make sense just fine.

Most puzzling.

Doomtrooper is just implying that 3DC might be a contributing reason to why ATI got the Xbox 2 contract and if that's true then its performance had to be very compelling.

DaveBaumann said:
As for 3Dc, wait a little. Its not a general compression scheme.
Ah, so it's a specific compression scheme is it?

I thought it was all about compressing normals or some such like that...

kemosabe said:
http://www.gzeasy.com/newsphoto/y2k4/04/24/ati1.jpg

Same pic from a different angle. How much more starved for info can one get. :?

It's NOT the same card. Check the logo background on the fan. Also note the placement of the sink and the molex connector.

Back