PowerVR Series5

Jodi,

Did you quit your job over there, or did they fire you? :LOL:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@All,

I was wondering what people would expect from it, but I think I personally am too conservative or too pessimistic, to not expect 3x NV40. Whatever it is you guys are having, can I have some too? 8)

@All,

I was wondering what people would expect from it, but I think I personally am too conservative or too pessimistic, to not expect 3x NV40. Whatever it is you guys are having, can I have some too?[

You underestimate the power of the TBDR.

Nick Spolec said:
@All,

I was wondering what people would expect from it, but I think I personally am too conservative or too pessimistic, to not expect 3x NV40. Whatever it is you guys are having, can I have some too?[

You underestimate the power of the TBDR.

Not necessarily.

We can be underestimating Imagine Technologies and/or their partner.

ROFL now that's one comment I never expected to read hehehe :LOL:

Let's just say that I'm a pathological realist and never have been a daydreamer. :p

***edit:

Joe,

He said I'm underestimating TBDR; could you please mark that comment for future reference?

Ailuros said:
What's a TDBR and what a TBDS?

TBDR: Tile Based Deferred Renderer

TBDS: Tile Based Deferred Shader

He originally wrote TDBR and you just quoted the very same thing. Obvious joke *sigh*

Ailuros said:
He originally wrote TDBR and you just quoted the very same thing. Obvious joke *sigh*

My eyes didn't pick up on that typo twice... must have been doing too much coding at work.

I don't know what to make out of this, but if a product is 3x better than any competing product out in the market, there is no way the company charge cheaper for it. Not unless they are non-profit or charity.

The price, most of the time, is just market driven. If PowerVr can have a 3x product the price certainly will reflect that. It may not be neccesarily 3x the price but it definitely would not be the same or cheaper.

gunblade said:
I don't know what to make out of this, but if a product is 3x better than any competing product out in the market, there is no way the company charge cheaper for it. Not unless they are non-profit or charity.

The price, most of the time, is just market driven. If PowerVr can have a 3x product the price certainly will reflect that. It may not be neccesarily 3x the price but it definitely would not be the same or cheaper.
well look .

If power vr came out with a card that had 2x the performance of the 6800ultra and it used slower ram and less transistors and had much better yields then it would be cheaper than the 6800ultra. Since power vr is basicly a new commer to the market (last card was at the time of the geforce 2) they could charge less to get their name out there and increase sales and build a product base.

Which would most likely be more important the first time out than reaping huge profits

If power vr came out with a card that had 2x the performance of the 6800ultra and it used slower ram and less transistors and had much better yields then it would be cheaper than the 6800ultra. Since power vr is basicly a new commer to the market (last card was at the time of the geforce 2) they could charge less to get their name out there and increase sales and build a product base.

that would work in a perfect world OR if the performence is comparable enough (see above) then they Could sell competitively.

cheaper cards<--> less performence????? it's hard to get around that stigma unless such a product undisputedly Crushes the competetors offerrings. I'm talking order of magnitude here ppl.

Ailuros said:

The Dave Baumann Rendering architecture. Renders the Beyond 3d editor with uncanny accuracy! :LOL:

notAFanB said:

that would work in a perfect world OR if the performence is comparable enough (see above) then they Could sell competitively.

cheaper cards<--> less performence????? it's hard to get around that stigma unless such a product undisputedly Crushes the competetors offerrings. I'm talking order of magnitude here ppl.

well 2x the performance of the others flagship cards is crushing them .

I guess at that point their flagship card could be sold at 6800ultra prices . Which would force the 6800ultra prices to go down.

Every magazine and website would be showing the card getting twice the performance.

Rob M said:
"So...PowerVR S5 rumors again....has it been a year already? ;)

Yep, so it's only another 6 months until they launch or cancel and then another three before we might be able to buy one! :LOL:

Seriously though, it would be nice to see a PVR chip. I am a bit concerned though that even before before the kyro launch if you knew where to listen you could hear from folks compatibility testing them.

Now maybe folks are better behaved now or maybe hiring Kristof to DevRel has made their QA 100% proof (or something) or maybe I don't know where to look anymore, but I'm worried all the same. With driver so necessarily different from the rest of the industry, they need that much more work and without that work you leave the door open for nasty PDFs.

Anyway, here's hoping that a Series 5 exists and that the fans on them are either quieter then the Kyro or better still absent. After all, if it's faster than a 9600XT and passively cooled then a whole phalanx of noise obsessed Shuttle owners will buy one...

Perhaps PowerVR are doing the compatibility testing in-house this time ? I copied this job description from the Imagination Technologies career page at the beginning of January this year:

Product Compatibility Technician(MJP004)
------------------------------------------

Are you passionate about computer games? Do you love to build PCs? Do you know your PCI from your AGP? If so, we want to talk to you.

Responsibilities

Testing computer games
Configure test systems
Implement test cases
Report test results
Skills

A levels and/or HNC in electronics or a similar discipline
Able to build and configure computer systems
Experience

A keen computer games player
Building and configuring PCs

The job description was removed from the careers page at the beginning of February when I assume the vacancy was filled.

I wonder what the fellow who got this job is testing ?

Back