GeForce FX 6800Ultra -previews thread

I think I'd rather wait the extra 10-15 minutes to keep the wrath of nvidia away, just in case they still have nightmares about stuff that has been "found out" about them on here.

epicstruggle said:
*double post* arg, Im having problems with the site today. :(
later,
epic

I guess everyone is...

I have to go to leave a bit more bandwidth for you all :p, as my home connection is down again *NTL* arg... I'll come back tomorrow to read B3D review... just make sure that the site holds until then ;)

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Druga Runda said:
And the conclusion is

It ROCKS!!!!

between 50% to 100% better than Radeon 9800XT!!!

Well it looks as Nvidia delivered as promised this time around...

... uhhh... compared to the R3x0 chips originally launched 18 months ago. Wait and see what it looks like compared to the R420 with which it will actually have to compete.

I'm sorry mate, I do not care about whatever Ati has to offer since it won't support Ps3.0 and games like Stalker and lots of other titles will support Ps3.0.

Also Nv40 probably has a screaming performance in doom3.

Even if Ati can get within range of frame rate it still lacks proper full dx9 support and most certainlly will be slower on Opengl so I don't see anybody choosing an Ati card anytime soon.

-X-

Wow. Just wow. The 6800 really looks like it fixes all of the problems with the NV3x series, and then some. The only thing that pisses me off is that its anisotropic filtering level detection now emulates ATI's. That's just shitty.

But other than that the card looks like a freakin' wet dream...

Deco-Rj said:
I'm sorry mate, I do not care about whatever Ati has to offer since it won't support Ps3.0 and games like Stalker and lots of other titles will support Ps3.0.

PS 3.0 just gives you more efficient use of shaders. As such gives you more speed on shaders *if* you can use such effeciencies in whatever you are doing.

Deco-Rj said:
Even if Ati can get within range of frame rate it still lacks proper full dx9 support and most certainlly will be slower on Opengl so I don't see anybody choosing an Ati card anytime soon.

Have to see what adoption and usage is like. You may find developers not doing anything more with PS 3.0 for the life of NV40 except improving effeciency. That won't make a massive impact on visuals if all it means is that Nvdia is getting a few frames more when using shaders.

We have to wait and see if R420 delivers the expected higher IQ, lower heat and power requirements. If it delivers the expected higher memory bandwidth, we could see PS 3 effeciency gains in NV40 offset by R420 higher bandwidth.

In short, there could be many reasons for people to choose R420 over NV40 - the fat lady hasn't sung yet, so saying people arn't going to choose ATI over Nvidia is pretty premature.

Chalnoth said:
Wow. Just wow. The 6800 really looks like it fixes all of the problems with the NV3x series, and then some. The only thing that pisses me off is that its anisotropic filtering level detection now emulates ATI's. That's just shitty.

I'll remain perfectly dry, until I see what the competition has in store.

One question that haven't been answered yet: Is the card that is previewed now similiar to the card which we can buy from stores?

I wonder what happens when you disconnect that capacitor dealie soldered onto the back of the card, seemingly every reference card being reviewed has one

Ailuros said:

I'll remain perfectly dry, until I see what the competition has in store.[/quote]

This simply goes to show you are a fan of ATI and not technology. When I see a huge jump like that I of course get excited, and like I said in the news post that doesn't mean I run out and preorder, that means I wait patiently to see what ATI releases...

Sxotty said:
This simply goes to show you are a fan of ATI and not technology. When I see a huge jump like that I of course get excited, and like I said in the news post that doesn't mean I run out and preorder, that means I wait patiently to see what ATI releases...
Yup, 'cept for the 'fan of ATi' accusation bit I gotta agree. I'm pretty damned excited by what I'm reading of the nV40, it seems like an impressive bit of engineering!

Granted it has some drawbacks, but just for this morning I would much rather enjoy reading about all the things it does right rather than worry about it's power requirements or such...if I got the card I wouldn't give a flying fuck if I needed a new PS for it! ;)

Neat card, reading Wavey's review of it now and it has some freaking raw power to it! :D (Oh, but the R420 will kick it's ass....I'm just giving nVidia their moment in the sun, they've earned it with this card. ;) )

Chalnoth said:

The AA, while improved, is also somewhat disappointing to someone like me who loves his AA. And if I were to buy a 6800U, I've got to tack on another $100 for a good PSU upgrade.

John Reynolds said:
Chalnoth said:

The AA, while improved, is also somewhat disappointing to someone like me who loves his AA. And if I were to buy a 6800U, I've got to tack on another $100 for a good PSU upgrade.

Well I didn't know you had a chance to stop and look at every single pixel while in a game...

For all intents and purposes during actual gameplay, they are equal. There are no 4x zooms in actual gameplay.

John Reynolds said:
Chalnoth said:

I'm also a bit disapointed with the AA. On the other hand, it seems to have a lot of other things going for it.

And afa the the AF goes, i really hope that they'll have a "no angle problem" AF checkbox and it seems that there's a possibility for that (B3D preview).

surfhurleydude said:
Well I didn't know you had a chance to stop and look at every single pixel while in a game...

No, but I do tend to notice crawling lines and such in a game.

For all intents and purposes during actual gameplay, they are equal. There are no 4x zooms in actual gameplay.

I would say that the 4x mode in the NV4x is indeed very comparable to the 4X mode of the R3xx.

However, it's a step down from the 6X mode on the R3xx. And if we're lucky R420 will offer 8X MSAA with a sparse sample pattern.

The largest complaint about NV4x AA (stated nicely in the B3D review) isn't about it's sample pattern...it's that it only goes up to 4X. Given the power of the card, and that many games will be CPU limited, higher MSAA modes should be doable from a performance perspective.

Joe DeFuria said:
I would say that the 4x mode in the NV4x is indeed very comparable to the 4X mode of the R3xx.

However, it's a step down from the 6X mode on the R3xx. And if we're lucky R420 will offer 8X MSAA with a sparse sample pattern.

The largest complaint about NV4x AA (stated nicely in the B3D review) isn't about it's sample pattern...it's that it only goes up to 4X. Given the power of the card, and that many games will be CPU limited, higher MSAA modes should be doable from a performance perspective.

Agreed 110%.

Back